Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Hey, Bronson....
Whats is "a fast food handling car"??!!
one that can eat mcdonalds and can still take a turn
NutDriver likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Why are poeple running very high end chassis? Cause MERICA that’s why. I wasn’t saying I don’t want those chassis in the class, I run a TC7.1 myself (which is actually just about the lowest priced “modern” full race chassis out there). And like I also said this is racing and everyone wants the win.

I know and am friends with guys that have these super high end chassis. After they got everything they could out of there previous cars because they are that good. They really could run circles around most everyone with a Losi street weapon or HPI RS4. They enjoy VTA over other classes and want to see what that can get out of it. But they aren’t worried about “the best handling” body or batteries. Hell one of them still uses a duratrax charger and 5000mah pack with deans plugs and a HW JUSTSTOCK ESC.

What I was trying to get at with my statement was that when people are looking at VTA for the first time or are still new to it and are aiming for .2 seconds per lap from a body with more steering, only painting one translucent coat on a body to keep it light, or the difference between HPI and PF tires, dropping nearly $1k on a chassis, $200 on a motor, 70amp charging on batteries, etc., to race the absolute slowest class on the track right now seems counter to what the spirit of this class is supposed to be.
you just contradicted yourself my friend....
a TC7.1 is over $400 bucks, add electronics, body, and tires, you got about a grand into that thing...but "to race the absolute slowest class on the track right now seems counter to what the spirit of this class is supposed to be"

VTA is just 25.5 TC...with different tires and body...nothing "cheap" or "entry" level about it....just slower
hotrodchevy14 likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TENCHO
a TC7.1 is over $400 bucks, add electronics, body, and tires, you got about a grand into that thing...but "to race the absolute slowest class on the track right now seems counter to what the spirit of this class is supposed to be"

VTA is just 25.5 TC...with different tires and body...nothing "cheap" or "entry" level about it....just slower
It's only as expensive as you make it. If guys that run tc4 and older Yokomos can make the A main at the National event. Why can't you or anybody else
NutDriver and RotorTruck like this.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

and yes it is slower.....but I really dont understand why the "spirit" of the class has anything about $$$$$... cause it doesnt. Its a racing class, not entry, not beginner, not slow, not for one group(ie average Joe), not for other group(ie Pro's), not a bashing class, not a simple class, not dying class, ect ect.....

The Spirit is about what the class is, and thats determine by each racer that runs it... crazy paint?...not spirit, but Ive done it....2-3 motors, not spirit, but Ive done it, tried different bodies, not spirit, but done that too.... run a TC7.1 with extras, yep that too. Is that the Spirit?....

Look at any race class and figure out what it brings to your table...what does it do for you and your club.

#1. I love American Old School bodies....I make motor noises in my head when I race. Love the look and excitement of seeing real looking cars race each other.

#2. You can run multiple chassis, and win and stay competitive. You can run a $700 chassis, or a $100 chassis and still be in the mix. As long as you know and learn your car and setup.

#3. I like to travel, and with that I get to run the same stuff at any track I attend. I can go to Ohio, NC,Cali,TN,IN,IL,WI,KY, or any track with the class and be good without the worry of being legal

enjoy the class...help the class grow...run it for you own reasons, and most important, HAVE FUN DOING IT
Old 11-29-2017, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TENCHO

Your right , Its not cheap, I think it is cheaper to race GT (outside at least)
With VTA and GT were using the same chassis , bodies ,ESC , servo ,Radios, batteries and bodies all the same cost . GT tires are about half the cost of VTA tires. Really the only people I see using old chassis are Newer, can't or won't spend as much.

I think I remember the Idea of VTA was to get that old Chassis out of the closet and to be cost controled , close racing . It was a good idea but then Racing took over.
VTA is also not the Beginner Panacea that some would try to convince others of.
VTA has it faults but I still prefer it over any other onroad class
Old 11-29-2017, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

How did I contradict myself. I said one of the least expensive chassis... not race ready set ups. That’s why I went on the list the other items as well. It was in addiction to those.

And if you also notice I mentioned I have friends that run high end stuff and it’s their attitudes fit the class, not necessarily the equipment they run. They ran a type car for a while, was winning with it, thought they could do better, and got a higher end car. That’s fine.

I have also raced flashy paint jobs. And the 1% motors. Why, because I wanted to and felt I had gotten all I could out of the equipment I had. (FYI, turns out those 1% motors don’t mean anything in VTA) But, with VTA I have never tried to one up another driver by finding an advantage they might not have.

The spirit is to have fun and enjoy racing. This is a hobby, if you enjoy spending money on the newest, most advanced equipment, go ahead. If that’s how you have fun, that’s fine. I built my discharger from scratch becaus that’s the kind of stuff I enjoy. It’s when I see racing and winning at all cost that to me goes against the spirit.

Unfortunately at my local track, VTA is only viable when out of towners come in mass. They have switched to 25.5TC and I have followed suite to enjoy something to drive.

But flashy paint is still better than translucent 1 coat, no decal body. I even hate that in TC. to me that just goes against the point of little toy cars. You used to never see a one color body at a major race. Now there are so many white cars with no decals on the track, I can’t tell who is who.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Don't worry Bronson I'll put some stickers on my bright ass solid pink body lol
theproffesor likes this.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I took a 5 year break and am running VTA to "get it back".

I still don't have a ton of time to run, but after a month or so of club racing I finally have a decent handling car (bought a TC4. Sloppiest chassis I've ever run and should have known better), but I am much less competitive than my car is.

It's just as fast as any chassis I run against, I can't get it around the corners (and I'm using Darkside's published setup as a baseline, so it was in the ballpark to start).

And I mean 2-3 seconds a lap.

I race for grins, not wins.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Farmer_John

We need a class for that!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Teamrule
You are in it...its all about what you make it. Racers make VTA your special class.
Boomer, NutDriver and massenb203 like this.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:46 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
I took a 5 year break and am running VTA to "get it back".

I still don't have a ton of time to run, but after a month or so of club racing I finally have a decent handling car (bought a TC4. Sloppiest chassis I've ever run and should have known better), but I am much less competitive than my car is.

It's just as fast as any chassis I run against, I can't get it around the corners (and I'm using Darkside's published setup as a baseline, so it was in the ballpark to start).

And I mean 2-3 seconds a lap.

After racing for number of years of 1/10th pan and TC, I decided to quit during the days of everything being boosted and a laptop in every pit became the norm. The fun factor got lost for me. I much as I hated to, I stepped away from racing and sold everything I had except a Traxxas Stampede to bash around the yard with.

It wasn't until one day I stopped by our local HobbyTown and watched what turned out to be a VTA race. Just watching the close door to door racing of Mustangs and Camaros was thrilling for me to see. Despite the fact this class had been running in other states for some time, it had just made it's way down here in FL. It was that day and that specific class which made me decide that very day that I would jump back in the hobby. For a while, I even refused to buy a TC specific car because it would make me feel like I had to get serious. With just a VTA car, the fun factor was in full force. I didn't want getting serious to ruin the very reason for getting back in.

Today, in FL, the class has almost disappeared. Some of us are trying to keep it alive but it is a struggle. A few weeks ago I drove 1.5hrs to race against 6 or 7 cars but to me that didn't matter. It is the sheer fun that I seek....and how cool the cars look going around the track. On 12/11, I will be making that drive again with no idea how many will show up. Regardless, I will be there in hopes that others come.

Unfortunately, this was the first year in the last six years that I didn't make it to the USVTA Southern Nationals. However, I will NOT let my job get in the way in 2018 . In my opinion, Mr Kinnard is and has been the face and the voice of this class over the last number of years. Yes, there are many others to thank and others who surely help promote this class and put on special events to support it. However, Mr Kinnard brings the "x-factor", and this is what sets him apart. When you're around this guy or you listen to him speak at his events about this class, it is the passion, the true passion that is evident. His spirit is what has inspired me to travel to his races despite having to roll "lone wolf" style (alone) 3 out the 5 years just so I can race against the best in the country and more importantly, to be around and share the interest with those who also feel the same way I do.

So guys, let's just let the small things "go"....and just have fun. It's a great thing here that we share. Fellas, when DARKSIDE offers his opinion, you need to understand that there are very few who truly care about the well-being of this class like he does.
robk, qcrc, DARKSIDE and 2 others like this.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There is ZERO difference in the handling of any of the bodies. That is one of the great things about this class. Pick a style you like and go with it. There are options for just about every American Miscle guy out there.

The only difference that MIGHT be noticeable to good drivers is the weight. Some are lighter than others. This allows for more weight to be put lower on the chassis for a lower CG. Again this is a big MIGHT, and only to drivers that are very consistent.

I don’t mean this to be rude, but if you are asking what is the “best” for anything (bodies, motor, ESC, battery, chassis) in USVTA then you are missing the point of the class. Yes everyone wants to have a fast, well handling car and be a winner. But if you are wanting to race for the win with “the best” equipment out there, then that is not what USVTA Racing is about.
Didn't mean to open a can of worms...
I had the challenger and cuda and while they looked great, they were much harder to drive for me than the Hpi or Protoform Mustang. Im not looking for the body that will gain me 10ths just don't want to waste 30 bucks and time painting a body that doesn't work. If asked I would tell someone to avoid the HPI Challenger and Cuda based on my experience in the class.

Its probably my favorite on road class ever. One of the aspects I enjoy is my lack of high end equipment. I just put out the big money for a TA07 Pro, otherwise its a regular charger, used eBay Motiv Motor, $30 Trinity VTA pack, Hobbywing V1 Juststock, and used Futaba 4pks. Before my chassis change I ran a Spec-R S2, I loved racing a $99 chassis, but the TA07 was a giant step up for my driving and parts are getting harder to find for the S2.

I didnt find on our carpet any advantage from the HPI to PF tires but my HPI's were so old they had holes worn in them. For club racing I don't care what people run as long as they were once legal. For a big event I think hand out motor and tires would be key. I think the Roar list of 25.5's limits the classes growth here since so many used motors are excluded.

I think the lack of the non american bodies does limit our growth here also. People would love to run so of the european and jdm cars that raced the series, corvette options would be good too. I'd run a 510 but it would be weird as the same sized car as a mustang or challenger (length,wheelbase, and width are 10% smaller between a mustang and 510). My dream would be a Ford Falcon but I've been told that the market isnt big enough...

I really would like to see this class come to the IIC since a vacation to the VTA nats is not likely and more than a 12 mile drive.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
It's only as expensive as you make it. If guys that run tc4 and older Yokomos can make the A main at the National event. Why can't you or anybody else
i agree, and honestly, I would love for VTA to be a "retired chassis" class...I totally agree that the older chassis still have what it takes. what I'm saying is that the guys that go all in on the high end stuff, just to race VTA, doesn't make sense to me; and in my opinion, should be regulated somehow.

I was using a SpecR R1 for VTA, now I use a tub chasis TB04...and guess what, I'm just as fast as the Xrays and awesomatix... my car is so dialed, yet in the pits, people look at me and my chassis like I'm a alien or something...its so funny to me.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

How did I contradict myself. I said one of the least expensive chassis... not race ready set ups. That’s why I went on the list the other items as well. It was in addiction to those.

And if you also notice I mentioned I have friends that run high end stuff and it’s their attitudes fit the class, not necessarily the equipment they run. They ran a type car for a while, was winning with it, thought they could do better, and got a higher end car. That’s fine.

I have also raced flashy paint jobs. And the 1% motors. Why, because I wanted to and felt I had gotten all I could out of the equipment I had. (FYI, turns out those 1% motors don’t mean anything in VTA) But, with VTA I have never tried to one up another driver by finding an advantage they might not have.

The spirit is to have fun and enjoy racing. This is a hobby, if you enjoy spending money on the newest, most advanced equipment, go ahead. If that’s how you have fun, that’s fine. I built my discharger from scratch becaus that’s the kind of stuff I enjoy. It’s when I see racing and winning at all cost that to me goes against the spirit.

Unfortunately at my local track, VTA is only viable when out of towners come in mass. They have switched to 25.5TC and I have followed suite to enjoy something to drive.

But flashy paint is still better than translucent 1 coat, no decal body. I even hate that in TC. to me that just goes against the point of little toy cars. You used to never see a one color body at a major race. Now there are so many white cars with no decals on the track, I can’t tell who is who.
I understand your point. and agree....those guys who quikie spray the bodies, and don't even bother putting the headlight decals are missing the point. I get it.
Old 11-30-2017, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Teamrule
theres always that one guy that laughs like a mad man every time the car traction rolls and slams into another car....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.