Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Wil Holmes
I see the weight issue as fine by me. I'm running a TC6 and it handles just fine at 1550. The weight is apart of the spirit of the class to make all chassises even including the older heavier molded chassis. I watched last sunday Eric at Thunder RC lay down laps that were equal with what TC 17.5 guys were laying down. He was running a Xray T4. It all comes down to setup and driver in the end for this class. Thats what I love about it very enjoyable. Even at my local track they run the ROAR rules but I'm even with there laps at 1550g so its not a big deal about the weight.
None of this addressed his point.

The number of older heavier chassis out there that we are "accommodating" is like 1%.

But it IS a struggle to find places to put all that lead on any newer chassis out there today. So it IS a big deal.

Weight requirement could be dropped to 1450g and it would help a lot.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Also why update something that isn't broken? You seem to be the only one upset about it. Just figure your car out and you'll be quiet amazed at what you will start running. It took me a good 3 weeks to figure mine out and I'm happy to say I can probably compete with all the VTA races, course I'm still learning about racing but slowly getting better that my car is now dialed in.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by .crispy
None of this addressed his point.

The number of older heavier chassis out there that we are "accommodating" is like 1%.

But it IS a struggle to find places to put all that lead on any newer chassis out there today. So it IS a big deal.

Weight requirement could be dropped to 1450g and it would help a lot.
That 1% means a great deal. If a new racers wants to bring his 10 yr old touring car and make it USVTA then he can without buying a brand new kit and enjoy as well as be competitive as the guys that choose to buy brand new kits every year.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I agree that weight isn't the cause of a poor handling car, or that the older heavier cars are not competative. I am just starting to see the price go up as some getting things like custom machined tungston to keep weight down the middle. I realize its still driver and set-up, but a lighter car helps with set-up and especialy tire wear on outdoor tracks.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Also why update something that isn't broken? ...
Thats funny, usvta started with brushed 27t motors and NiMh batteries, going by what ur saying it should have never updated to what it is today because "it wasnt broken"
Old 05-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Tech Adept

I've only been running USVTA for probably 2 months so pretty much just been reading everything that I know and talking to everyone for tips. If I was around for when they changed from 27 to 25.5 I would have a different view but I wasn't so I agree with what is now set for this class. Either way I'm enjoying the class and the people already in it as y'all have taught me a good bit on this class along with the guys at my track. Its all in good fun and racing.
From looking around it seems the reason for the change to 25.5 from 27 was the manufacturers were getting rid of the 27t motor?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
really ?? Your removing part of the can allowing for more cooling.

No modifications or optional parts allowed on motor can, endbell, stator, or rotor, other than the Boss #5925 Ballistic 540 Vented Endbell/Bearing Racing Upgrade Kit (replacement) . No cooling holes or other changes allowed to motor.
When "change" and "remove" are acknowledged as synonyms in the dictionary, I'll buy this logic... No parts are modified in this case - and the motor "can", in this case, is composed of three segments, none of which are being modified. Find me literature from Novak's site stating that the colored ring is in fact considered the motor "can", and I'll side with you.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

That 1% means a great deal. If a new racers wants to bring his 10 yr old touring car and make it USVTA then he can without buying a brand new kit and enjoy as well as be competitive as the guys that choose to buy brand new kits every year.
It's the weight rule that keeps the newer cars from dominating the class. Getting rid of the weight rule will drive the price of the class far higher than sourcing the weight needed to meet the terms of the rules. You can buy 80 grams of tungsten for about $20 - just look for the weights used in pine derby cars.

BTW - that 1% is far higher than 1%, and the fastest VTA cars I've seen were for the most part at least 6 years old.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Re: the sleeve.

Me an my boys run stock Slashes in some classes around here. On the Titan 12T motor they also have a sleeve. Also called the torque ring. Having it on the motor changes the magnetic properties of the motor giving it more torque. Taking it off reduces torque and increases RPM. The point is, on or off changes the motor. That's why a lot of stock classes stipulate that the sleeve must remain on the motor.

So, my question is..., is it possible that the sleeve on the Novak motor has some effect on the performance characteristics of the motor?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
When "change" and "remove" are acknowledged as synonyms in the dictionary, I'll buy this logic... No parts are modified in this case - and the motor "can", in this case, is composed of three segments, none of which are being modified. Find me literature from Novak's site stating that the colored ring is in fact considered the motor "can", and I'll side with you.
Not sure about your novak, but mine came with a ring installed. USVTA rules are very clear.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Re: the sleeve.

Me an my boys run stock Slashes in some classes around here. On the Titan 12T motor they also have a sleeve. Also called the torque ring. Having it on the motor changes the magnetic properties of the motor giving it more torque. Taking it off reduces torque and increases RPM. The point is, on or off changes the motor. That's why a lot of stock classes stipulate that the sleeve must remain on the motor.

So, my question is..., is it possible that the sleeve on the Novak motor has some effect on the performance characteristics of the motor?
nope, its aluminum.
metal sleves have a affect on brushed motors, not brushless.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Addict

It's the weight rule that keeps the newer cars from dominating the class. Getting rid of the weight rule will drive the price of the class far higher than sourcing the weight needed to meet the terms of the rules. You can buy 80 grams of tungsten for about $20 - just look for the weights used in pine derby cars.

BTW - that 1% is far higher than 1%, and the fastest VTA cars I've seen were for the most part at least 6 years old.
I disagree.

First of all, never said to get rid of the weight rule, just reduce to the same as USGT.

The beginners can get into VTA in the entry Serpents or Spec-Rs for $120.

Nobody that is really really fast is driving old TC4s because they can't afford anything better, they're just trying to prove a point. We have one of those at my track.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I disagree.

First of all, never said to get rid of the weight rule, just reduce to the same as USGT.

The beginners can get into VTA in the entry Serpents or Spec-Rs for $120.

Nobody that is really really fast is driving old TC4s because they can't afford anything better, they're just trying to prove a point. We have one of those at my track.
i'd really hate to break this to you, but TC4 are some of the fastest cars out there for VTA... the last big race we had in NJ, TQ was a TC4 (not a guy trying to prove a point) and my TCX was 2nd

so its not always a case of beginners getting into the sport - but its also guys wanting a cheaper alternative to dropping $300-$400 on a used xray chassis

I'm building the Spec-R now, and i'll weight it when I'm done - I'm willing to bet I'll have to add at least 50g to get to the legal 1550 weight... so how is lowering the weight going to benefit someone that just bought that chassis? I'm sure the 3Racing isn't too far behind the Spec-R

going to 1450 will put a lot of chassis at a disadvantage (and I'm betting most of the 'cheaper' sport edition models), so why not put it at a limit where EVERYONE is effected?? balances everything out in the long run.

we all know these cars handle better when heavier - so why take that away?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Not sure about your novak, but mine came with a ring installed. USVTA rules are very clear.
Sure, mine came with a ring - but the motor started life as a 21.5. Do you have any idea how many people start pointing fingers if the ring isn't the correct color?

No sense in buying a colored ring to match everyone else's motor when a stator change brings the motor into compliance, or spending the better part of $100 to buy an entirely new motor for the same purpose.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Sure, mine came with a ring - but the motor started life as a 21.5. Do you have any idea how many people start pointing fingers if the ring isn't the correct color?
so that's why you're so fast been cheating all these years, huh??

for the record, I race with Barry and trust his integrity of his racing program - all in good natured fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.