Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-city-u-s.html
Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Are the rumors true? I have heard that HPI #17510 - 1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 200mm Body is discontinued. If it's true, then it will be greatly missed.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Are the rumors true? I have heard that HPI #17510 - 1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 200mm Body is discontinued. If it's true, then it will be greatly missed.

a buddy of mine, who works at a hobby shop, posted the same thing..

I guess their licensing agreement ran out and they aren't renewing

bummer
Old 06-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I've heard rumors of a VTA-style nitro class running somewhere. Unfortunately, that's all I know. Has anyone else heard of this and, if so, can you point me towards a thread? Thanks.

Scott
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The group I run with in South Jersey runs nitro VTA
Mostly it's the VTA bodies with a clear wing. Not sure what the rest of the rules are.
But the group is SJCCR south jersey cost controlled racing.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I know some folks are critical of the work because the lines arent as sharp as some, but the shells are known to take a pounding. They make great racing shells. And they do look nice. There is a lot of potential in them, and you dont have to feel sad after your first race with them.
+2! We also run McAllister bodies in USGT (Corvette Daytona) and now the IndyCar body in our local F1 class. Like 'em!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
+2! We also run McAllister bodies in USGT (Corvette Daytona) and now the IndyCar body in our local F1 class. Like 'em!
Shhhh! Don't think that one is legal in USGT. The Corvette DP is not a production touring car. Mums the word.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by .crispy
Shhhh! Don't think that one is legal in USGT. The Corvette DP is not a production touring car. Mums the word.
Some say it is, some say its not. Ive heard both sides. If I was winning races it might be worth debating.

My point was they are really durable bodies and McAllister is super on responding to questions. Nice people.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

If I may interrupt!

In the past my RC habit was confined to racing SC Slash. I've not touched my Slash in 4 years or so. Getting the itch to get back to running RC and racing. Initial itch was for carpet racing but it's non-existent in my area. Literally. So I started to look around at something that would fit my schedule. There seems to be some local VTA racing.

Given the following - what say you as far as advice:

1. I need a VTA car. I don't currently have an older car to turn into one so a purchase will be made specifically for VTA

2. I will not (read refuse) to purchase via Ebay and the used market has zero appeal to me - purchase will be a brand new car.

3. Purchase is to be for VTA only - car won't be doing double duty in any other style of racing.

4. While I agree with the seemingly more laid back style and drive of my local VTA racing - I want to win/be competitive. There will be a budget but it's not very strict so to speak. I don't mind spending money.

As I read more and more the AE TC3/4 seems to be the VTA car that most guys were running. Would you advise I simply purchase a new TC4 and have at it or could/should I go TC6.1 ? It's basically local/club racing and the rules are heavily focused on motive power/electronics and body style. So as I see it - car set up and driving is where a person gains a competitive advantage. Which car would do that for me or should a guy just buy a TC4?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Human
If I may interrupt!

In the past my RC habit was confined to racing SC Slash. I've not touched my Slash in 4 years or so. Getting the itch to get back to running RC and racing. Initial itch was for carpet racing but it's non-existent in my area. Literally. So I started to look around at something that would fit my schedule. There seems to be some local VTA racing.

Given the following - what say you as far as advice:

1. I need a VTA car. I don't currently have an older car to turn into one so a purchase will be made specifically for VTA

2. I will not (read refuse) to purchase via Ebay and the used market has zero appeal to me - purchase will be a brand new car.

3. Purchase is to be for VTA only - car won't be doing double duty in any other style of racing.

4. While I agree with the seemingly more laid back style and drive of my local VTA racing - I want to win/be competitive. There will be a budget but it's not very strict so to speak. I don't mind spending money.

As I read more and more the AE TC3/4 seems to be the VTA car that most guys were running. Would you advise I simply purchase a new TC4 and have at it or could/should I go TC6.1 ? It's basically local/club racing and the rules are heavily focused on motive power/electronics and body style. So as I see it - car set up and driving is where a person gains a competitive advantage. Which car would do that for me or should a guy just buy a TC4?
I will first assume that you are an AE kind of guy. If that is true and you like nice gear I would buy the TC6.1, but like they say in here all the time the TC4 does win, and being shaft drive you get a little more snap and punch from the low powered motors that are VTA. You did say you wanted to win. I think thats a little easier with the 6.1 than the TC4. If you are not an AE nut then I would also look at the Spec-R R1 or the economy S1, The Sakura Zero, There are also economy versions of the X-ray T4 and soon the BD-7 will have an economic version. If money is not an issue then just buy one of the top of the line kits. X-ray T4, Yokomo BD-7, are my favorites..

Go hang out at the track and ask the guys to show you their chassis. Ask them each what they like about it and what if anything that they don't.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

What is the economy version of the t4?

Dave
Old 06-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by .crispy
Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
Some say it is, some say its not. Ive heard both sides. If I was winning races it might be worth debating.

My point was they are really durable bodies and McAllister is super on responding to questions. Nice people.
The McAllister DP Vette is USGT legal. Rob King has already stated as such. Now if your local track wants to eliminate it thats a different story.

I have run one and it doesnt do anything different than any of the other bodies maybe less overall steering as its long in the nose.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

I would also look at the Spec-R R1 or the economy S1.
I just purchased the Spec R S1 ("economy" version of the R1) specifically to go VTA racing. I spent less money on a chassis, electronics, tires, battery, and a body to go VTA racing, than I've spent on *just* a pan-car oval chassis.

Been told that XRay and Tamiya parts also work with the S1 chassis, so if we need to "upgrade", we have parts.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

I will first assume that you are an AE kind of guy. If that is true and you like nice gear I would buy the TC6.1, but like they say in here all the time the TC4 does win, and being shaft drive you get a little more snap and punch from the low powered motors that are VTA. You did say you wanted to win. I think thats a little easier with the 6.1 than the TC4. If you are not an AE nut then I would also look at the Spec-R R1 or the economy S1, The Sakura Zero, There are also economy versions of the X-ray T4 and soon the BD-7 will have an economic version. If money is not an issue then just buy one of the top of the line kits. X-ray T4, Yokomo BD-7, are my favorites..

Go hang out at the track and ask the guys to show you their chassis. Ask them each what they like about it and what if anything that they don't.
I wouldn't say I'm specifically an AE guy but they do have good representation here locally so that's where I started looking. I'll look into the others - thank you!
Old 06-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry if this has been answered before.. I search and couldn't find in this thread. Do the HPI wheels hold up well to an Acetone bath to remove old worn out tires so new ones can he installed? if not, what is the best method to remove them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.