Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Willy
McAllister's bodies just dont have enough detail or body lines for me. Its like looking at a car through beer goggles. lol

What they lack in detail, they make up for with superior durability. All those detailed body lines creases that give others a bit more “realism” create nice fracture lines that weaken a body that already cost 30% more.
mooby64 and glennhl like this.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Maybe add the 80's Camaro and Mustangs. Scary to think about, but those things are 40 years old and change now.
WhiteLX likes this.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
What they lack in detail, they make up for with superior durability. All those detailed body lines creases that give others a bit more “realism” create nice fracture lines that weaken a body that already cost 30% more.
Bodies like tyres are a consumable part of racing.

I think forsaking detail lines for durability waters down the purpose of a scale class like VTA.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mschumi101
HPI had 2 different style Camaro bodies. I believe the '68 was the Z28, which has always been a 2 piece mold. The '67 Camaro was their 1 piece.
That makes sense. It’s probably the case with the two HPI mustangs as well?
Old 12-15-2021, 01:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dman18t
There is some serious lacking in body diversity in this class. Seems to only be a few muscle cars when in fact there were tons of European vintage cars and Japanese that have raced in the series. For instance, Porsche is the 3rd winningest manufacturer in the trans am series, behind ford and GM.

Maybe opening up to other period correct bodies on the market would be a good thing? Tamiya 911 RSR 1977, or the Datsun 280?

I do agree there needs to be a CUDA remade, or maybe a grand National? Alfa Romeo GTA (1968 I think?).

Point is we need some options.
I raised this point a couple of years back and the die hard VTA racers were not open to it.

for our local club races, we do allow period correct European and Japanese bodies.
Rick Vessell likes this.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Realism is a valid point, but I don’t think the McAllister bodies are truly missing anything that takes away from the class, especially when painted properly. On track, it’s actually hard to tell the difference between the manufacturers on a couple body’s.

You also helped support my point of cost though. Bodies are a consumable item as you mentioned. The level of detail provided by the PF’s, for me, does not account for the 25%-30% price difference on a “part” that will get routinely replaced. Your results may vary, and that is the beauty of choice.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dman18t
There is some serious lacking in body diversity in this class. Seems to only be a few muscle cars when in fact there were tons of European vintage cars and Japanese that have raced in the series. For instance, Porsche is the 3rd winningest manufacturer in the trans am series, behind ford and GM.

Maybe opening up to other period correct bodies on the market would be a good thing? Tamiya 911 RSR 1977, or the Datsun 280?

I do agree there needs to be a CUDA remade, or maybe a grand National? Alfa Romeo GTA (1968 I think?).

Point is we need some options.
I think the Porsche, Alfa, BMW etc. all ran in the under 2 liter engine class... So while they were racing the Trans Am series, they were actually separate from the over 2 liter cars which were the American V8's. So, while I think the variety would be good too, I see where the rub is...

We're down to the PF and the McAllister bodies and that's it, right?
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trx-1racer
I think the Porsche, Alfa, BMW etc. all ran in the under 2 liter engine class... So while they were racing the Trans Am series, they were actually separate from the over 2 liter cars which were the American V8's. So, while I think the variety would be good too, I see where the rub is...

Maybe there should be a mini VTA class.

Too bad we can't get the molds for some of these NLA bodies. I bet Sabulatech would make them.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Extra class

Originally Posted by WhiteLX
Maybe there should be a mini VTA class.

Too bad we can't get the molds for some of these NLA bodies. I bet Sabulatech would make them.
Hard enough to get a full regular class. To many classes is already a problem
mooby64 likes this.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

looks like HPI bodies may be available soon. It sounds like HRP has stock again. I know the tires and wheels are available now.
Raman likes this.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Team Bluegroove sells many of the HPI VTA bodies.

www.teambluegroove.com

WhiteLX likes this.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 342 (100%+)

Hi guys....good morning. NEW to on road and VTA. AMAIN just opened a new facility in Chico CA. I run a LD cougar in off road 2wd buggy so I decided to try a pre owned Schumacher Mi7 for VTA. Anyone else run this platform? I am immediately noticing that the carbon "elbows" on the hubs/spindles hit on the offset VTA wheels/tires. This car has a 5mm hex all around. I also run a Velocity AE based sprint car so I have LOTS of hexes so I put some 7mm hexes on front to create clearance and got away with 6mm in rear. I am concerned changing the tracking or width of wheelbase is going to affect steering. We are running on high bite black carpet. I know these tires have to break in a bit but I am not happy with grip. I can also dremel some material off the outside edge of this carbon piece and go back to 5mm hexes all around. May I have some thoughts from carpet guys on the goods and bads of both. I am running the alum chassis with Midmotor conversion but can run carbon chassis as well. Tx in advance everyone. I know set up ride height, droop etc can play a big part in this too. My friend who I acquired a T4 MM car on old VTA tires is killing me by 1.5 seconds a lap with zero tuning on his part. My car just feels dull. Ps...yes I did sand and sauce tires

Old 12-16-2021, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default VTA eligible bodies

I do not know this to be a fact, but it is my belief that the attached link is shows all of the bodies that would be considered for the VTA class.
Historic Trans Am
The class is based on muscle cars that took part in the Trans Am series from 1966-1972. If you want to run bodies from outside that era or the "Under 2.5" class (or was it 2.0? I don't recall) talk to your race director. I am confident that the national rules will not include bodies outside these parameters.
The link will also provide you with good examples of paint schemes that actually ran in the series.
mrreet2001 and DavidNERODease like this.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by konasubs
Hi guys....good morning. NEW to on road and VTA. AMAIN just opened a new facility in Chico CA. I run a LD cougar in off road 2wd buggy so I decided to try a pre owned Schumacher Mi7 for VTA. Anyone else run this platform? I am immediately noticing that the carbon "elbows" on the hubs/spindles hit on the offset VTA wheels/tires. This car has a 5mm hex all around. I also run a Velocity AE based sprint car so I have LOTS of hexes so I put some 7mm hexes on front to create clearance and got away with 6mm in rear. I am concerned changing the tracking or width of wheelbase is going to affect steering. We are running on high bite black carpet. I know these tires have to break in a bit but I am not happy with grip. I can also dremel some material off the outside edge of this carbon piece and go back to 5mm hexes all around. May I have some thoughts from carpet guys on the goods and bads of both. I am running the alum chassis with Midmotor conversion but can run carbon chassis as well. Tx in advance everyone. I know set up ride height, droop etc can play a big part in this too. My friend who I acquired a T4 MM car on old VTA tires is killing me by 1.5 seconds a lap with zero tuning on his part. My car just feels dull. Ps...yes I did sand and sauce tires

I would use a dremel and a small sanding drum and clearance the carbon fiber arm a little. I had to go to 5.5 hexes in the front on my Yokomo because the tire hit the shock at full turn.

That arm is plenty strong enough to handle a little material removal...

Last edited by trx-1racer; 12-17-2021 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

I would use a dremel and a small sanding drum and clearance the carbon fiber arm a little. I had to go to 5.5 hexes in the front on my Yokomo because the tire hit the shock and full turn.

That arm is plenty strong enough to handle a little material removal...
On my old TA05, I went up to 6.0 mm hex in front to clear the arm.
trx-1racer likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.