Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
ok my fellow vta racers.

I have gotten flack from a racer that had a bad main and doesn't like that I try to put all the racers in one main as opposed to splitting up 8 or 9 cars with varying levels of ability.

I am going to assume he had a bad main because he ran into lap traffic or what getting hacked in his opinion by lap traffic in the main?

To me at least, I would see what others thoughts are on the issue of split mains and see if its a common thought for the group or if its just a one off. Maybe his sentiments are shared by more than just him.

As for the thing about people not wanting to run fast as they don't want to damage expensive cars, etc. Heck I am seeing that for the money, the more expensive (especially parts wise) Xrays I am using seem more durable than I recall my TC3 and my losi XXX-S were back in the day in stock and 19T touring. no need for nerf wings to protect the carriers, etc.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
well I guess that solved that?...smh
No it hasn't still waiting on a few race directors to pipe in. I want to keep all my racer as happy racing as i can. And if that means spliting the difference on what i see posted here then thats what i do. Not to ask the question and hope it goes away is bad for a track.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I can see both sides. When the field is close and everyone has the same level of ability (or close) its fun to have more cars in the track. It makes for great door to door, bumper to bumper no hack racing and the best race foing might be for 3'rd. But when there are only 10ish total guys and the bottom half are drastically slower than than the rest of the field, it seems better to split up. I hate it when a USVTA race sounds like an off road shortcourse race. When you hear more banging and boomin that the race director saying how close the race is, its just no fun.

RD's should probably take assesment of driver attitude and abilty for the day and set the mains accordingly. If splitting the mains, I think a bump up is a good idea to help bring in an otherwise good driver that may have just had a bad morning.

I fellow racer rcently brought up an interesting qualifying format that he pushing a local track to try for F-1 that I really like and if used by clubs for VTA would help eleviate the problems of getting taken out in a qualifer by a bad wreck.

It basically comes down to still running the quals, but sorting TQ and the main based on a single fast lap. There are many pros, some cons, but it help eleviate alot of the issues that seem to come up because of bad quals whether your own fault or getting hacked.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Think of the slow guys as well. They want to be in the A main with the fast drivers. They might not be the fastest or the best, but I think it's good for them to all be together.

On the flip side, the faster guys learn to race with slower cars and can work on passing. It can be frustrating getting taken out by a back marker but it's part of racing.

If I had 8 or 9 VTA, they would all be in the A. (Especially at your track)

Like Cain mentioned, most of the newer cars are pretty durable.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by theproffesor
RD's should probably take assessment of driver attitude and ability for the day and set the mains accordingly.
+1 I don't believe it's fun for the "back markers" to try to drive in their rear view any more than it any fun for the "faster" drivers to have to dodge the "bonzi" drivers. JMHO
Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Race directors what do you think
. at what point do you split up 6 to 10 cars if that's all you have racing in vta. Do most tracks try to have a full main even if the ability isn't as close as say a national field of cars so all 10 cars are within a couple tenths of each other. and do you invert and do rolling starts or run the track backwards.

just my take on the last 2
rolling starts are tough for a race director if not done correctly the last cars can count a lap before the first cars get around. plus even with a main of the best drivers at the Southern Nationals we had to restart the rolling start 3 times.
running the track backwards will mess with the carpet fibers and then it will take time to get the groove back in causing the rest of the other class racers racing that day to be upset. and sometimes the track corners are set up to not allow a reverse flow to the track. the only reasons I don't use those two options.

DISCUSS
Always a tough subject, and usually far tougher to resolve than it needs to be. The only fair way would be to announce how many cars are going to each main before the program begins that day, after establishing how many mains there will be for each class. Large disparities in speed and/or ability need to be addressed by splitting the field to keep everyone happy; too many "fast" guys are really quick to blame a new/less skilled competitor for their own failure to maneuver around slower traffic. Placing drivers in heats and mains with others of similar ability usually yields the best racing, and allows all drivers of all skill levels the greatest opportunity to enjoy themselves...

As for the driver getting his panties in a bunch over a bad finish, an adjustment of his overall perspective is in order, not necessarily your chosen method of managing the race program. Some folks take this stuff far too seriously...

Other opinions (since you asked) - inverting the field can lead to strategic sandbagging, which may or may not be considered frustrating to the other racers once they figure out what's happened. Running in reverse direction - always hated the idea; doing so on carpet creates the risk of making all of the racers angry by disturbing the racing line. I've never voluntarily run a race in the reverse direction used for qualifying.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

I haven't directed an RC race, but I used to direct RallyX races and with those, an early starting position is either a distinct advantage (surface being hard packed, no ruts, etc.) or a distinct disadvantage (water truck having just gone) so when it was open staging, we would literally see a standoff or a race to get into line. I changed it by getting a couple of fuzzy dice - racers would get in line in any order, some sexy lady would roll the fuzzy dice (well, they were fuzzy when we started. . . they got a bit muddy as we went) to see both the start car and the order in which they went.

LOTS of people complained until they got used to it. I never got rid of a few complainers.

As an organizer/director, you have to have a thick skin (you already know that) and you will get a feel for what really works - then let the complainers either come up with a creative alternative (sometimes that happens!) or "pound sand" - either way, get racin.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I could see breaking up the mains, in a class like touring car...

but this is Vintage Trans Am!!! This class is specifically designed to have fun, and what could be more fun than a 12 car main on a track designed for 8 cars???

If someone is complaining about too many cars in the main, then they're in the wrong class.

But that's just me.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Its hard to have fun when you beat around the track like an NFL players girlfriend.

Too soon???
Old 02-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
I could see breaking up the mains, in a class like touring car...

but this is Vintage Trans Am!!! This class is specifically designed to have fun, and what could be more fun than a 12 car main on a track designed for 8 cars???

If someone is complaining about too many cars in the main, then they're in the wrong class.

But that's just me.
Back in the day when drivers threw together old jalopies made from outdated, worn out TCs, this sentiment actually reflected reality. Like all TC based classes, after a few short years I think we've evolved past the "it's just for fun" phase...
Old 02-10-2015, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Its hard to have fun when you beat around the track like an NFL players girlfriend.

Too soon???
Not too soon... Not funny, either.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Thats ok. The RD ingnors it just like Roger Goodell.

But I do agree with your other statement about what the reality of racing is nowadays
Old 02-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nashrcracer
ok my fellow vta racers.

I have gotten flack from a racer that had a bad main and doesn't like that I try to put all the racers in one main as opposed to splitting up 8 or 9 cars with varying levels of ability. the level of drivers in the main this weekend were

25/5:08.148
24/5:03.812
24/5:12.617
23/5:04.105
23/5:06.490
23/5:15.485
22/5:03.579
21/5:14.175
18/5:03.980

a 4 lap spread accept for the one guy that hadn't run in 4 years. also I got flack for the thunder tradition of the coin flip on inverted starts. should I have split up this main into the top 5 guys and the last 4 guys noting that one of the guys that would of been bq had 23 laps and was having a bad day.

AS A RACER IN VTA do want to have 4 or 5 cars in a main if the spread is like this? or do you like big mains in VTA that reward patience and yes to some a little bit of luck.

DISCUSS
With a 9 second split between the 5-6 cars for a total of roughly a 2 1/2 lap split between the 1-6.

I would have split them up, without question.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

as a guy who is usually in the 18-21 lap range on a 25-26 lap track... I have no problem being the or one of the slow guys...I can handle faster traffic usually... I just wish more fast guys knew how to handle SLOW traffic.. be a little patient - don't KNOCK em out of the way the instant you catch them. LEARN to PASS like a real driver would.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Tour, so your a slower driver. Your probably not the problem. You are correct that the faster guys should learn how to pass. Communication onnthe stand is key. The RD needs to watch the race and give the slower guys a heads up thst the leader is on thier way. If everyone drives like they are supposed to whether slow or fast, the flow stays relatively smooth.

I am speaking of the guys who tend to use the boards as the means to turn. Or try to race you after you just pasted them... for the third time... problem with these guys is I will spen the whole race trying to pass them. Why because they will not yield and actively block. Eventually you and maybe others get taken out, but within 2 laps (or less) you've caught back up and the dance starts over.

Slow but smooth driving is not the issue, bad driving is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.