Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

And we're off...
Old 12-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Thumbs up

IF ROAR goes to 1550 g and a 5000 mah battery limit
then the only difference in the classes is the brand of motor .
IMO. this is a level playing field

USVTA- KEEPS THE NOVAK 25.5
ROAR VTA -OPEN 25.5

USVTA went to roar approved ESCs time for ROAR to step up
these are 2 very easy changes for them to make .
and they ARE NOT BRAND SPECIFIC.

as a race director I would have no problem running them together
AS A USVTA LOYAL RACER I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM RACING WITH THEM

I think it will help grow the class in the long run and minimizes the divide and the tension between the classes .
Old 12-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
I think it will help grow the class in the long run and minimizes the divide and the tension between the classes .
The very thing many of us would like to see...

I would guess getting ROAR to play ball in regards to the weight will be much easier than the MAH limit.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

anyone know why the sweet spot for weight was 1550g for USVTA versus 1450g for ROAR? Curious on the thought process for either option versus just 1500g even.

seems the fact that its pretty common to be adding a variety of weight to the vehicles to get them up to spec, maybe that is a place a compromise could be reached on, split the diff in half.

As for battery, when it was just VTA here, i ran the 7200mah lipos I use for 4x4 SCT to have double duty packs, was heavier for sure but much easier to get up to weight without having to slap a bunch of weight on the lipo and other locations to get to the minimum.

As a side note, does anyone know of a brand that makes a weighted 5000mah lipo?
Old 12-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
As a side note, does anyone know of a brand that makes a weighted 5000mah lipo?
Not 5000 mAh, but 4000... Orion has their shorty pack WTS (weight transfer system). Info about it HERE.

^^^ Neat concept, but I haven't seen it in use at my local tracks (on or off road). For VTA, I'm currently running five standard length, 5000 mAh packs, two SMCs, one EAM and two GForce. The SMCs and EAM weigh pretty close to the same. I have to stick five 7g weights to the sides of my GForce packs to bring them up to the same as the others.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Changing the battery mah is prob a bad idea. There are way too many people invested in 5000mah. For the time being it would most definitlt harm the class to allow it to change. Yes bigger mah will help meet weight and give more umph at the end of a main, but itnis still a bad idea. Keep it 5000mah. Its easier for the few that don't have them to buy a cheaper batt, than the majority have to buy the more expensive. The only feasable way for this to even be possible would be a very long (1year+) lead-up to a rule change. As if it were to happen now it would say something to the affect of as of January 2016, xxxxmah is max. But again why even change. 5000mah is more than enough for the 8 minutes we run now.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

I know that a few of you VTA fans have an interest in the full size TransAm Series of old - the series that inspired this 1/10th scale class. I stumbled on this article today and found it pretty interesting. I thought I knew a bit about some of the more obscure body styles used back in the day - but this one was all new to me, and kinda blew me away.

http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/b...i-raced-trans/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7l7nDuj1o

Dale - Protoform
Old 12-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

I like (still) running my old Xrays.
I like my Novak 25.5 motors
I like running a Camaro body, in a race with lots of other bodies.
I like not buying tires as much as I have to for other classes, and running them on rims that look like rims.
I like now running my Tekin esc's, but hey.. they're no faster than my GTB's were - those were also fine.

Thank you, Rob.. Kevin.. Doug.. Siegfried... Roy... everyone that has made and does make the class fun. Just... thank you.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yes
Old 12-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chiefj48
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't USVTA going to be run at the Snowbirds this year??

I'm guessing someone took notice of how popular USVTA has become!!!
Roar VTA??? Not so much!!!
2012 was the return after alot of favors and support. its been under USVTA rules since. Not sure what it will be this year

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
Lets throw this out there.

Since robk is on the ROAR excomm, would it be considered a conflict of interest to have ROAR adopt the USVTA rule set, or is this the best time to try and make that happen? Would his possible influence on the rules be considered a positive or negative?
apples to oranges...Im sure no matter where he sits on ROAR, USVTA comes 1st..

Nailed it ...,we spend a lot of time at our track getting our cars to distribute the weight evenly . Some of the guys have scales and tweak stations to get their cars even 50-50 from front to back and side to side. You just can't slam 100 g in and go...
sorry Pete, I do..lol...

Originally Posted by Cain
Coming from what was VTA before and USVTA now other than the inner body requirement, some things I thought were a benefit the open motor were:

- Cost.

Had competitive 25.5 motors that with an ESC each were less than the cost of just the novak motor, like $75 total, making the class more accessible pricewise. Also, the novak motors effectively went up in price with only being able to now find boss editions. Operation $10 it seems in RC world.

- Stagnation in quality due to exclusiveness.

From what I can see in other areas and this could creep up here, which if my take on what people are reporting with the whole timing label issue seems to be occurring, if you are the only game in town, you really don't have to try hard especially if no one is forcing you to. Reminds me of EA's monopoly on the NFL license. Being the "official" USVTA motor should mean something other than I was first to the game so I get the exclusive.

Please excuse the follow up post, I have been trying to edit the post to add the info and keep getting a connection time out.
If I use my Reedy 25.5, and beat everyone running a Novak...I promise you ppl are going to spend money...case in point...2012 Snowbirds...some know..lol...sold alot of motors for somebody(not VTA)..lol

Originally Posted by howardcano
This is the best time. I can only think of positives with Rob as Technical Director.

Since USVTA has recently changed to ROAR-approved non-timing ESCs, maybe now ROAR can reciprocate and adopt the USVTA minimum weight and battery rule. That seems pretty fair.
why do we care if ROAR joins the train ride...if racers are so 'pro' ROAR VTA, why dont they show support and come race at the national roar events...13 VTA cars is club racing....50-70 USVTA Nationals is real support.....ask yourself who is doing it right?...

any of the BIG 3 USVTA events across the country(pick one) out number the ROAR carpet and pavement Nats combined?...

THIS is 100% correct we should be trying to change roar from within.
I think getting roar vta to adopt these 2 changes would help the divide
between the racers as well as the tracks and the series races across THE WORLD lol .

NOW how do we get this done ROB are you watching BATMAN can you help us
who do we drive crazy instead of bitching and moaning in hear

must be a way for ROAR to help us help them lol
not my thing sorry bud...but the way I see it...the USVTA doesnt benefit from ROAR on any level...the only benefit is personal racers or tracks that want company "a" or "b" to start eating the good pie. And they can run whatever rules they want, and nobody is telling them not to....just look at some of the tracks in Cali...

Originally Posted by k_bojar
the problem with ROAR, is that they cannot restrict class rules to a specific manufacturer - like they tires, they are outlined to match the HPI tires, but not specifically named in the rules

that's the issue with restricting batteries to 5000mah - there could be something like that... easiest is weight making it match
hummm...

USVTA already changed from the USVTA ESC list to the ROAR ESC list. Now it's ROAR's turn to change something. That's why I said "reciprocate" in my previous post.
doesnt seem to work that way...we scratch their back,....waiting?...lol..

Originally Posted by .crispy
The problem with the max mah requirement is that as battery technology gets better and better, the 5000mah packs are getting lighter and lighter which just exacerbates the weight issue.

With that part open, you make the decision knowing that more mah generally means more weight.
not for Reedy/AE...the Wolfpack 5000 25c (260g)packs are great...but they were a little light...so when the new Reedy 5000 65c packs came out...278g

"I" don't need to concede anything. Rob sets the rules for USVTA. He has stated many times that the motor will remain Novak.

Also, ROAR still needs to release rules for 25.5 motors. But that's something that doesn't really fit into this thread at the moment.
best I know, thats still true...2nd ROAR has its hands full with just getting a President

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Changing the battery mah is prob a bad idea. There are way too many people invested in 5000mah. For the time being it would most definitlt harm the class to allow it to change. Yes bigger mah will help meet weight and give more umph at the end of a main, but itnis still a bad idea. Keep it 5000mah. Its easier for the few that don't have them to buy a cheaper batt, than the majority have to buy the more expensive. The only feasable way for this to even be possible would be a very long (1year+) lead-up to a rule change. As if it were to happen now it would say something to the affect of as of January 2016, xxxxmah is max. But again why even change. 5000mah is more than enough for the 8 minutes we run now.
+1

once again, why?....why is the USVTA needing to change any of the things ppl are posting....please tell me whats wrong with the USVTA?...

if the sticker is valid...Ill bite...but its not a big deal, and can be fixed with very little effort

Im pulling 6 Novak 25.5's and going to check sticker placement and report back...

thanks
Old 12-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the McAllister cougar body?
I am looking for something a little different tired of the same old bodies.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I've got mine (McAllister Cougar AND McAllister Camaro) painted up, but won't hit the track with them until the TOYS for TOTS race at Cal Raceway on Dec 14th.

I've run the McAllister Firebird and like the way it sticks - and have seen some others have pretty good success w/ it -
Old 12-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I have the Cougar and McAllister Camaro, but haven't painted them. McAllister is offering detail decals, so they are much more on par with HPI detail in my mind. I run the McAllister Firebird regularly and like it a lot. I bought a painted and decaled one from SWTour that I'm going to start running on Sunday after finally beating my Tire Bird to the point that I can justify replacing it (although it doesn't really NEED to be replaced yet).
Old 12-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Smile

[

MYRON I was not trying to change USVTA. I think I was misunderstood or I didn't word it properly
I was saying that if the gap was closed between them GETTING ROAR closer to what we are doing I think more guys would just choose USVTA any way
cause at that point the only difference is motor
Old 12-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
I have the Cougar and McAllister Camaro, but haven't painted them. McAllister is offering detail decals, so they are much more on par with HPI detail in my mind. I run the McAllister Firebird regularly and like it a lot. I bought a painted and decaled one from SWTour that I'm going to start running on Sunday after finally beating my Tire Bird to the point that I can justify replacing it (although it doesn't really NEED to be replaced yet).
Couple more questions.
Does it come with the decals or do I need to order separately?
I don't care for the huge front air dam. I like the class because of the scale looks.
If I were to trim it off would it have a negative impact on how it drives?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.