R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/611403-u-s-vintage-trans-am-racing-part-2-a.html)

robk 06-09-2014 02:48 PM

No the real rule change is going to be involving the ESC rules. ROAR spec speed control rules and their list will now beeric followed. I put a lot of thought into this and talked with guys like Kevin K and Eric among others. While the esc list has been successful in my opinion and is ideal, the number of speed controls to fit the bill seems to be shrinking. I would much rather stick with non updateable controllers but it's becoming a hassle. On the upside of this is that Howard Cano who posts on this thread does the ESC test for ROAR and his system is thorough and exhaustive, using proper lab instruments. I know this is not as simple as before, but I hope it also does not take away confidence in a fair shot for everyone racing. If tracks want to stick with the escs currently listed on the USVTA site, the list will remain there as is for your reference. That will be a decision for you.

Other than that there are no other plans for major rules changes.

rcpaintinpete 06-09-2014 02:51 PM

I would like to get VALKARIA RC on that list ASAP
As for our club still supports USVTA racing in Florida
And will continue to!!!!

I would also like to see the list of tracks updated on the USVTA website to reflect the tracks that support the US VTA

k_bojar 06-09-2014 03:16 PM

very interesting, Rob - I guess it was unavoidable given the current list and what manufacturers are making

now we just need the real news - when is the Southern Nationals :lol:

PROMODVETTE 06-09-2014 03:26 PM

Awesome!!

hyujmn 06-09-2014 03:31 PM

Just for ESCs or also motors?

mikel33 06-09-2014 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by hyujmn (Post 13323682)
Just for ESCs or also motors?

ESC's.

JRock360 06-09-2014 03:56 PM

I'm looking at getting into this type of car. We already run a Tamiya M-chassis (m05-m06)
class at my local track.

ASM 06-09-2014 05:06 PM

Rob, thanks for the announcement. Personally, believe it helps in finding some common ground. With that said, I did hear at the region race this weekend that ROAR may consider making only non-programmable legal in the blinky class. Have you heard this or do you have a comment on this? Naturally, I'm looking at it from the USVTA standpoint. Thanks!

theproffesor 06-09-2014 05:42 PM

Excelent news!!! I would just like to get a clarification. I understand the rule list has been updated to match the ROAR list. Would this be all ESC's as long as they are in blinky mode? Or would it be all ESC's on the list that are a "spec" or "locked" ESC?

nashrcracer 06-09-2014 05:52 PM

black diamond time!

Carnage9270 06-09-2014 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by ASM (Post 13323922)
Rob, thanks for the announcement. Personally, believe it helps in finding some common ground. With that said, I did hear at the region race this weekend that ROAR may consider making only non-programmable legal in the blinky class. Have you heard this or do you have a comment on this? Naturally, I'm looking at it from the USVTA standpoint. Thanks!

I don't know who you heard that from but they obviously had no clue what they were talking about. Non-programmable is almost non-existent. Handcuffing half the racers in the world is not something in ROARs plans.

There's a reason the restriction is being lifted here.

hanulec 06-09-2014 06:12 PM

i was hoping to see open motor, open speedo. oh well. ;)

just imagine how wild that would be...

theproffesor 06-09-2014 06:16 PM

It would be ROAR, but 100 grams heavier

dragonracing 06-09-2014 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by hanulec (Post 13324135)
i was hoping to see open motor, open speedo. oh well. ;)

just imagine how wild that would be...

13.5 vta!!! woohoo. lol. just kidding. but opening up motors would be nice. kinda sucks to just have to use the novaks. not a big fan of the novak but what can you do. oh yeah...drive an awesomatix in vta. or here in the pacific northwest we call it scale spec, with usgt and vta in one class all running d compound tires.

nf_ekt 06-09-2014 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by John Wallace2 (Post 13323380)
I guess I did, sorry. "Affordable fun" - Yes I'm all for that. But even the club spec motor might not fix the problem as much as you might think. A few years ago a hobby shop in Maryland bought a batch of closed end bell (fixed timing) sliver can brushed motors for a spec class they ran (maybe the silver can motor you are talking about). They dyno'd the motors and used only the ones within the parameters they chose to get 20 or 25 motors as closely matched as possible (sold the rest as practice motors or used them in their rental cars). They numbered those motors, and when you signed up for that spec class race you were randomly assigned one of those motors to use. To make sure you didn't do anything too special to the motor, you returned it each night after the race was over and because of the random draw for motors at each race, you may never get it back again in future races. Even then after a few races, people knew which were the "dog" motors and these were the cream of the batch of motors they bought.

Care to enlighten me with which shop this was? Was it HT in Fredericksburg (The "C" ) that ran Spec Gt, or are you referring to the spec series that MRH / Johns Mobile RC ran? I raced at all of those places, in those particular classes...

And no, When I say "silvercan" I'm not talking about a brushed variant, I'm talking about the BL motors that Novak put out that were all silver with a light purple center ring... later an orange ring for the club-combo version. These had limited user adjustability, not like the Boss / Ballistic with their decal-adorned "twist it all you want" endbells. Hope this clears it all up. And yes, even with those some will be better than others. Such is life.

Moving along. The news to open the ESC to what is specified by ROAR is a great move :nod:. More future participants and less hassles to be sure. And if there continues to be a usvta platform here in Florida, I'm cool with running it. I also want to run a $50 dollar esc and now it looks like I can. I do this on a budget, like many others! At least I'll say this, it makes my decision to build two cars and run both versions (roar & usvta) a lot more solid in my mind. If this had gone "novak or nothing" that would have been it for me, as well as others.