Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
The problem now is that there is no d3.5 to automatically pick. The 3.5 was faster due to a gray area of the rules being exploited and it was clearly faster than everything else. You bought it, didnt think about it, and never worried about it and it was nice (the way the motor rule is now in vta)

Now, for the last month, everyone has been trying to figure out what is the fastest legal motor now. So far I have purchased (2) motors for 17.5 to decide from, and I havent covered every feasable option yet. I have an Orca and a R1Wurks (one i put in for small tight tracks, the other goes in for big fast tracks)....but I got beat by an orion vst2 motor....so maybe i need one of those. So now thats 3 motors in a month I have purchased. And i havent tried a trinity motor yet, maybe we should make that 4 in a month.

While for my 25.5 motor, i bought one. just one, 2 years ago, USED, from a guy i didnt know, off of the RCtech classifieds for 50$. I just finished up winning the USVTA triple crown and finishing 2nd at the scale nats (as well as 3rd at the southern nats) with that one used motor. If someone is faster than me at those races, its because their setup or driving is better. I dont have to worry about running over to see what motor they have in the car, the running to the track hobby shop and HOPE they have one in stock. Otherwise, i spend 500$ plus to travel to a big race and I am just automatically spotting guys a tenth or two becuase I cant get the fast motor of the month. Trust me, it will happen as its happening right now in stock. The motor rule is fine as it is, its actually great for the class. How many people right now would drop out of vta if they had to spend 90$ on a brand new brand X 25.5 because its the fastest one out now (and thats making the fairy tale assumption that there is only one motor that is clearly a tenth or more faster than the others.)
Well spoken.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

cant we just all get along and have fun racing each other. last I checked 99 percent of us do this as a hobby right. we don't get paid to race. I have a lot more fun racing my vta car at the track with fellow racers than I do running it down the street. we really don't need to go thru this nonsense, and I for one am glad this class exist. play some bob marley and chill.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

dont chill too much, we racing in 2 days
Old 05-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by moparSRT
dont chill too much, we racing in 2 days
no worries I didn't roll it that fat. just kidding lol
Old 05-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Angry

A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure
Old 05-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure
where are you buying these cheesy quotes. lol
Old 05-07-2014, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
The problem now is that there is no d3.5 to automatically pick. The 3.5 was faster due to a gray area of the rules being exploited and it was clearly faster than everything else. You bought it, didnt think about it, and never worried about it and it was nice (the way the motor rule is now in vta)

Now, for the last month, everyone has been trying to figure out what is the fastest legal motor now. So far I have purchased (2) motors for 17.5 to decide from, and I havent covered every feasable option yet. I have an Orca and a R1Wurks (one i put in for small tight tracks, the other goes in for big fast tracks)....but I got beat by an orion vst2 motor....so maybe i need one of those. So now thats 3 motors in a month I have purchased. And i havent tried a trinity motor yet, maybe we should make that 4 in a month.

While for my 25.5 motor, i bought one. just one, 2 years ago, USED, from a guy i didnt know, off of the RCtech classifieds for 50$. I just finished up winning the USVTA triple crown and finishing 2nd at the scale nats (as well as 3rd at the southern nats) with that one used motor. If someone is faster than me at those races, its because their setup or driving is better. I dont have to worry about running over to see what motor they have in the car, the running to the track hobby shop and HOPE they have one in stock. Otherwise, i spend 500$ plus to travel to a big race and I am just automatically spotting guys a tenth or two becuase I cant get the fast motor of the month. Trust me, it will happen as its happening right now in stock. The motor rule is fine as it is, its actually great for the class. How many people right now would drop out of vta if they had to spend 90$ on a brand new brand X 25.5 because its the fastest one out now (and thats making the fairy tale assumption that there is only one motor that is clearly a tenth or more faster than the others.)
And once its all said and done I bet the stock classes will be 1 or 2 motors that everybody runs. USVTA would be the same way, but with much less choices. I have heard the D3.5 25.5 motor is worthless, so there is one to knock off already. Besides VTA is much more about driving than the classes with motor power.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default The boss

Originally Posted by fermanracer
where are you buying these cheesy quotes. lol
See
Old 05-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Ok, so maybe open ESC but 1 motor? That would make a lot of sense, actually.

You don't go looking at the local fast guy and say, "Dang, I need that ESC." You think, "Man, I want one of those motors!" Having an open blinky ESC will allow you to run whatever, so long as it's in blinky mode, and having a spec motor (I'm assuming it'd just be the Novak) would take the whole "He's got an illegal motor" thing right out of the equation.

Basically, what's the point of allowing only certain ESCs? If you look at the 17.5 stock class, or any thread asking, "What ESC should I buy for blinky?" every single answer says, "Get what you can afford. They're all basically the same." If that's happening in the 17.5 class, the supposed "most expensive class" to run, then where is the issue for having an open ESC in VTA? There is no logical argument for not having open blinky ESCs in VTA. That whole no-update-firmware thing is crap, especially when you have people soldering in different boards into GTB2s and getting away with it.

TL;DR : Blinky ESC + Spec 25.5 motor
Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

So I assume by now everyone can tell im pro Tekin and pretty much anti novak. But I can say that betwen Tekin, Novak, and Trinity, motors I have run, the Novak is definately the more powerfull motor. Top end is close to the same, but has a good deal more low end than the other 2. On the Novak crank the timing up and go at it. On thenother two, its takkng me some time to find that sweet spot. I dont mind the one motor rule, but even ifnit were open, I think people wouldnstill gravitate to the Novak.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Tech Addict

I got a tekin stock spec last oct for the rcgt class in vegas. I put together a vta car, and stuck this esc in it. I have an old 2 year old novak motor that I use. I had a lot of fun in the class. now, however, im told that my tekin can no longer be used in vta. that's too bad. I guess I will convert my vta car into a usgt car, throw in a 21.5 motor, switch to different tires, and go have fun...so long vta, it was nice to know you...
Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fermanracer
no worries I didn't roll it that fat. just kidding lol
hey....Led Zeppelin...

Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop
I got a tekin stock spec last oct for the rcgt class in vegas. I put together a vta car, and stuck this esc in it. I have an old 2 year old novak motor that I use. I had a lot of fun in the class. now, however, im told that my tekin can no longer be used in vta. that's too bad. I guess I will convert my vta car into a usgt car, throw in a 21.5 motor, switch to different tires, and go have fun...so long vta, it was nice to know you...
The Tekin has never been legal. Nothing has changed. If your local club will let you run it in VTA then run it. If that one thing is keeping you from running VTA then it does not seem you are all that into it in the first place. If you do get really into VTA and you do want to go to a big race that only accepts ESC from the USVTA list, I am sure someone will loan you one for the day.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyujmn
Ok, so maybe open ESC but 1 motor? That would make a lot of sense, actually.
TL;DR : Blinky ESC + Spec 25.5 motor
I like this. 90% of the USVTA rctech bs is really about the esc. Go by the roar list and that opens it up to a whole lot more options and racers.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
The Tekin has never been legal. Nothing has changed. If your local club will let you run it in VTA then run it. If that one thing is keeping you from running VTA then it does not seem you are all that into it in the first place. If you do get really into VTA and you do want to go to a big race that only accepts ESC from the USVTA list, I am sure someone will loan you one for the day.
the track I run at allowed me to use it until it was decided 1 way or another. now that it has been decided, I choose not to run it. I don't want to buy another speed controller. I have a novac gtb-2 that is a total POS, I refuse to use it anymore... its all good. I have to get another body, and my tires are almost as bald as I am, so I have to replace them anyway. I will go to usgt, and have fun..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.