Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Dam.LOL..I don't know about this. The way I drive i'll be in the wall or have everyone in a pile up. .lol
Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
You have 3 turns to move or you will be moved.
Don't you have to be an a-hole to intentionally bump someone out of the way? Lets leave SC racing to the side on this one. The only people I've seen at my track do this are 'I think I should be a sponsored racer I paid the most for all my gear my farts don't stink you club racers suck just get out of my way' type guys. If you are that good, find the weakness in my racing line and exploit it.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Get out of the way of the leader, he earned it, you blew it.
Try again next time.
If you ever get there you'll understand.
If not, and you want to be the guy racing to win from the back of the pack, that is sad.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

If your being lapped, all you have to do is move about 1-2 feet off line going into or coming out of a corner and let the leaders by-then drop in behind and follow. It will only slow the leader and the lapped car down .1 sec or so that lap. Hopefully the race director is calling the traffic and giving everyone the heads up. I think for both sides it's the courtious thing to do.

BUT.....there is also a time and place for the "3 turn rule".....
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Let me be clear that I do move over for the leaders, especially if I can see them come up fast. Sometimes though you have bad luck with traffic, etc and can end up a lap down. I'll fight to stay on that lead lap if I'm at the same pace. You shouldn't just have to move over every time.

I have had some guys come up and before you even have a chance to give the 3 turn rule a go, they just punt you from behind. If you pull that on me once you'll get wrecked the next time.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default VINTAGE TIRES

Have a quick question on tire ware. we race on a high traction asphalt track and after 4 club races my front tires are almost slicks. the ware started in the middle of the front tires. car is balanced front to back in about center of chassis. car pushes in higher speed corners, camber set at 1.5 on all 4 corners. rear tires look almost new. any ideas on a fix for this. car is getting faster with every run, having a blast running vintage. we've had about 10 cars at the last few club races.

thanks
bill
Old 02-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
If I'm not competing for the win and the leader comes up on me to put me a lap down I will move over for him every time. I don't feel that it is fair to let my pride get in the way of other racers having fun. No one likes getting lapped but it is part of the hobby, some days on the track are just better than others. It is just good racing etiquette to move over and let the leaders decide between themselves who is going to win that day. It is also more often than not more fun for the people watching the race to see a good clean battle on the track. Think of it as racing Karma.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ah...
Thanks for the headzup...
Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

My whole point is, if I'm slower than the leaders then yes I'll get out of the way best I can so we all don't wreck. If the leaders are near me due to some other circumstance on the track and I am keeping pace I'll race them. Now if this is near the end of the race and the leaders are coming I'll for sure get out of the way no matter the circumstance so that I don't affect the outcome.

I also want people to remember that not everyone knows this racing 'etiquette' especially if they are new. I don't like the idea of moving people out of your way unless you know who they are. Getting punted around the track as a noobie is a good way to prevent that guy from coming back to race. We all don't have tracks where we have racer ability separated by mains. Some of us are only lucky enough to have a total of 40 people at the most to show up to race maybe 6 classes.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

We race on asphalt as well up at Speedworld in Roseville/Sacramento area. The wear you describe is not uncommon.

You can help reduce it some by balancing the car with more weight to the rear (to lessen the load on the front tires), and by getting rid of the push (when the car is pushing, the front tires are slipping against the track surface, which is grinding away rubber from the tires).

I run all of my lead as far back as I can, and I run my car pretty lose, and it does help the front tires to last longer - but it is just the nature of VTA on asphalt, the front tires wear out first. 4 race days is decent, 5 or more and you are doing pretty good. I've seen pushy cars combined with drivers who drove agressively burn the front tires off in only two race days.

Originally Posted by BILLSBOAT
Have a quick question on tire ware. we race on a high traction asphalt track and after 4 club races my front tires are almost slicks. the ware started in the middle of the front tires. car is balanced front to back in about center of chassis. car pushes in higher speed corners, camber set at 1.5 on all 4 corners. rear tires look almost new. any ideas on a fix for this. car is getting faster with every run, having a blast running vintage. we've had about 10 cars at the last few club races.

thanks
bill
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

While I usually frown on people that try to change the rules... this could mount fairly easily to a front bumper and would be a super awesome rule addition (and be more interesting to marshal.)
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-cowcatcher.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

[QUOTE=DarthRacer;11876422]Let me be clear that I do move over for the leaders, especially if I can see them come up fast. Sometimes though you have bad luck with traffic, etc and can end up a lap down. I'll fight to stay on that lead lap if I'm at the same pace. You shouldn't just have to move over every time.

If you are lap down then you are not on the same pace and you will not catch up to the leaders. If you have to "fight to stay on that lead lap" that means you are slower than them,period.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

I won't argue about it any more and dirty the thread up. Apparently you can't compare full scale racing to R/C. I'm in it for the fun not the glory. That's why I'm racing VTA this season.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

So I want to try this VTA thing.

Do you guys run your older chassis for VTA and stick to the newer chassis for straight up TC?

I've got a newer TC6.1WC but thinking of getting an older beat up car for VTA but I'm not sure if I should just convert this newer car to VTA or not.

Just wondering what kind of strategy you guys use for deciding which chassis. I'm not on a super tight budget but still.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Hey lagcisco, glad to hear that you want to try VTA. It's a ton of fun.

Generally most new VTA racers will get an inexpensive 4WD chassis like the Team Associated TC4 Club Racer. Some VTA enthusiasts, like myself, will use the best 4WD chassis they can afford to race in VTA. I am using an Xray T3 2011 for VTA. I don't race a TC so I just put all that I've got into my VTA racecar. Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.