Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

in 1971 a datsun 510 won the trans am. are Datsun bodies permitted?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iDChuck
in 1971 a datsun 510 won the trans am. are Datsun bodies permitted?
Wrong Trans Am class. We don't race datsuns.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

But I have seen clubs that enjoy the spirit of VTA and have done a gtu class that used the mini Chassis and shells, running the Datsuns and some Alfa Romeos. It's a great idea it's just hard to get a new class going. Racers can be fickle and tempermental.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d.k.vmatt
What chassis work well for vta or is it all a much of a muchness?
Any tc chassis will work but most of the guys at my track + me are using the sakura zero s. Can"t be beat for the price at about $120.00 bucks and runs just as good as any of the high dollar cars.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Guys, this VTA class looks very interesting to me. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any tracks within a reasonable driving distance to me. For a few years now we've been having "fun" races with just a few guys on a course we set up. It's on asphalt, not rough but not super smooth either. We've been running slash trucks that are slightly tweaked for this application, and they work ok and it's fun, but I'm getting bored with it (I'm starting to get back into actual racing and offroad is it for now).

What I'm wondering is how the VTA spec'ed cars, especially the tires, do on regular 'ole asphalt? How long will the tires last? How well do they handle?

I'm thinking about putting a car together to the VTA spec to test it out. If it looks to work well, I am considering an attempt to try to get others in the area involved and have some races. But if the tires or something else in the rule set doesn't work well for asphalt, it would be nice to know ahead of time.

I'll also want to put together a sample cost breakdown so I can try to get some other people involved. If I were to do this, I'll try to do it in conjunction with a local hobby shop. Maybe even put together a package deal that can be purchased there with some savings. But that's a ways out...this is just an idea right now.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:03 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I just noticed that the ROAR rules state minimum weight for VTA class at 1450g. Our local track runs USVTA rules (1550g), so I am not personally concerned. Also, though they mention several motor classes, there is no mention of 25.5.

I realized this has likely been discussed before, but it should be addressed by ROAR soon.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Deja Vu
I just noticed that the ROAR rules state minimum weight for VTA class at 1450g. Our local track runs USVTA rules (1550g), so I am not personally concerned. Also, though they mention several motor classes, there is no mention of 25.5.

I realized this has likely been discussed before, but it should be addressed by ROAR soon.
Please recognize first that ROAR did not invent nor did it develop the national rule set that has become the lighthouse for this class. Basically this class became so popular that ROAR had to develop its own rules and its own version of the class. Their rules are modeled after the USVTA rules, but they are not identical to them. So once you realize that there are two separate rule sets you will understand why everyone doesnt jump when you quote ROAR. (Love them but I'm just saying.)

Also you will hear people talk about a ROAR VTA car and a fully legal car, which is a USVTA rules car. They are not completely the same.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Please recognize first that ROAR did not invent nor did it develop the national rule set that has become the lighthouse for this class. Basically this class became so popular that ROAR had to develop its own rules and its own version of the class. Their rules are modeled after the USVTA rules, but they are not identical to them. So once you realize that there are two separate rule sets you will understand why everyone doesnt jump when you quote ROAR. (Love them but I'm just saying.)

Also you will hear people talk about a ROAR VTA car and a fully legal car, which is a USVTA rules car. They are not completely the same.
Actually, ROAR copied the USVTA rule set exactly as originally written in 2008. When the new rules went into effect September 1, 2010 ROAR did not update their rule set. At the ROAR Carpet nationals this year, we ran 1550 and 25.5 with any ROAR legal Sportsman ESC and required driver figures (USVTA light, all rules enforced except any 25.5, any ROAR legal Sportsman ESC in blinky mode, and no Mah limit on the battery). Most, if not all, of the A-Main drivers including the the winner, Tony Phalen were fully USVTA legal based in the current rule set.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by GP40X
Actually, ROAR copied the USVTA rule set exactly as originally written in 2008. When the new rules went into effect September 1, 2010 ROAR did not update their rule set. At the ROAR Carpet nationals this year, we ran 1550 and 25.5 with any ROAR legal Sportsman ESC and required driver figures (USVTA light, all rules enforced except any 25.5, any ROAR legal Sportsman ESC in blinky mode, and no Mah limit on the battery). Most, if not all, of the A-Main drivers including the the winner, Tony Phalen were fully USVTA legal based in the current rule set.
If I am not mistaken Robk wrote the ruleset for ROAR that you speak of as well as the last two generations of USVTA rules. ROAR has different restraints than the USVTA. Like they cant limit the motor to one manufacturer.
For the first year after the rule change on September 2010 there were lots of local clubs that did not immediately switch to 25.5. and many more that belly ached about it.
I do seem to recall ROAR lagging behind and having the Pre September 2010rules for their VTA sanctioned events, until the Carpet Nats this year in Texas. I am not sure if Robk helped them with that update or not. I bet you a bag of Oreos that he was involved.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
I took 3rd at carpet nats and was running a speedpassion prostock. If you go to rcprogear.com it lists what all the a main guys where running. Three guys in the main where running non vta legal speedos
Old 08-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
I took 3rd at carpet nats and was running a speedpassion prostock. If you go to rcprogear.com it lists what all the a main guys where running. Three guys in the main where running non vta legal speedos
I knew that Tony was USVTA legal and I and was pretty sure most were USVTA legal. 7 of 10 seems like most to me
Old 08-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

If I am not mistaken Robk wrote the ruleset for ROAR that you speak of as well as the last two generations of USVTA rules. ROAR has different restraints than the USVTA. Like they cant limit the motor to one manufacturer.
For the first year after the rule change on September 2010 there were lots of local clubs that did not immediately switch to 25.5. and many more that belly ached about it.
I do seem to recall ROAR lagging behind and having the Pre September 2010rules for their VTA sanctioned events, until the Carpet Nats this year in Texas. I am not sure if Robk helped them with that update or not. I bet you a bag of Oreos that he was involved.
I know that some of the local contacts (Andrew Doherty) were involved and I believe that Robk mentioned in the original USVTA thread that he was working on getting the ROAR rules updated. I am pretty sure that Robk is on one of the ROAR rules committees. I know that ROAR will never limit to one manufacturer and understand why but they still have the pre September 2010 rules published which can be confusing for a newbe. The rule book still list 1450 grams and 4 different battery/motor combinations. Hopefully Robk can convince ROAR to update to 1550 grams and the single 25.5 brushless motor/2S Lipo. Now if we can get some other manufacturers to submit USVTA motors and ESCs for approval....

Last edited by GP40X; 08-13-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Why was the minimum weight raised? I practiced at 1450 before nats and changed when i saw the weight was higher than what roar's site said. My car was no faster at 1450 ,it runs the same lap times. Seems pointless to add 100+ grams if it doesnt slow the car down.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Not to mention it can be tricky to get an extra 180g into a sedan these days.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Please recognize first that ROAR did not invent nor did it develop the national rule set that has become the lighthouse for this class.

No, I do understand how the recognized class of VTA was formed and established. I only brought it up since it seems ROAR was lagging behind what the community as a whole recognizes as the class rules.

But, since we are on this topic...why was the weight increase established? 100 grams means an additional 14 1/4 oz weights. On my Xray, I have room for 4 weights on the chassis and I was able to triple stack the rear to get 8 on the chassis. The rest I have to add on top of the battery. On my daughter's Losi, I had to add 32 1/4 oz weights to get her up to spec!

No biggie really, I truly enjoy this class the way it is. But, I would be interested in knowing why we are running 1550 grams versus 1450 grams. And again, we should petition ROAR to update the rules equal to what is recognized in the VTA community.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.