Wiki Posts
Search

SMC releases IB3600 cell.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Exe
Tech Regular

I'm not complaining at all..

it's just interesting how it could be that matched packs give 290 secs of runtime... i want to know what's happening, cause i plan to buy some packs for our local club..
Old 03-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am not going to comment on the runtime of cells that are not done by SMC. This means unmatched virgin cells.

The 1st generation of IB cells are not endoresed by SMC, these cells were low voltage cells that are compelety different then what we are offering now.

Before we go further please everyone check your battery bars and solder joints if your using our bars, please rough up the back side of the bar, this trick will allow a faster joint to occure.

As for our cells not performing to what the label says is something that we have encountered a few times on the last batch. Shortly after this batch was released a few people after building packs ( Danny included) found some packs would not cylce out to the #'s on the cell, We have no reason for this, from our end we re calibrated our machines and even went as far as opening some packaged packs to randomly check ( cycled on the TM4's) everything seemed good. IB is aware of the problem and is looking into it. This is not a widespread problem and seems to be isolated to the last small batch, which leaves us to beleive that maybe some small glitch occured in the production.

If you have any SMC packs that cycle low after a few cycels then please send them back to us for warranty and replacment.

Twin- Kyle- Andy told me to call you 'HARA" whats the story? Thansk for supporting Action Hobbies and SMC
Old 03-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Kyle Hara....my 3600's rocked....I had plentyof speed, tonnes of punch and wicked runtime....

That's the beauty of supporting companies like SMC....they stand behind the product
Old 03-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

They really are a great company.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When matching cells all we can do is put the appropriate cycles on the cells. When we apply the stickers that is the cells spec at that time.

Cells are fairly complicated and there is a chemical reaction that occurs. We can't control what happens after we have cycled the cells.

For some reason we have seen some cells that will act up once they are soldered in a pack.

SMC will fix or replace faulty cells so just send your pack back to us.

We have mentioned this issue to IB and hopefully they will figure out why this is happening. I have full confidence in IB to fix this issue.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Nats

Danny or Korgae.. Are you guys coming to Hobby Chamber for the Carpet Nats ?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by Twin-Kyle
This weekend, we ran our March Meltdown event. I had a chance to use the new IB cells for stock 12-scale. The voltage was 1.171, IR was 1.9-2.0. I followed the recommendations on charging and re-peaking but managed to dump about 30 seconds before the end of the race. My roll-out was slightly higher than what I would normally run with a SMC GP 3300 pack. I was using a Cleveland-based Monster stock hand-out motor tuned and pulling a constant 7.8 amps. at 5 volts.

When I ran my GP 3300's (SMC), same set-up as above except using one tooth lower pinion gear, I had 20 seconds of run time left. Why is this??? Dropping one tooth shouldn't have made that much of a difference in run time. The 3300's were purchased in Cleveland at the Champs. in November and have been used at least once sometimes twice a week since then. The IB cells are less than a month old. The IB cells are matched from SMC.

FYI, I finished fourth in the A main with the twelve scale using the SMC IB cells and finished third in the A main for ten scale touring using SMC GP 3300's.

The A main winner for twelve scale (Wayne Vince) was using older GP 3300's and was clearly faster than everyone else. I'm still not completely sold on these new cells. I will continue to use SMC products (GP 3300's) as these are excellent batteries. Any advice as to what may have gone wrong with the IB3600 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Also...The IB's were cycled several times in the weeks before our event,and used about 3 weeks before the event.There were about 8 to 10 charges on them.

One other thing...I use a Pulsar comp charger.When I charge my 3300's,they regularly take 3900-4100 mAh.The IB's only took at best 3698mAh.(charger settings 6.5amps,Delta peak set @ 30mV).Why is this???
why didnt you come and talk to me kyle??? when i walked by i remember you telling me how high your rollout was?? im thinkin thats why that happened to you im thinkin you were geared to high and without a smooth finger you would have dumped even 4000s im thinkin next time come on over i can find answers faster than you think thanks for the great support danny/korgae always top notch...my ibs were flawless all the punch i needed finished 1st in stock touring and 1st in mod touring a mains same pack nuthin wrong with mine results dont lie
Old 03-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Delete

Last edited by Twin-Kyle; 03-19-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:04 PM
imr
Tech Adept

Hi,

are the IB3600 batteries EFRA approved??
Old 03-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Exe
I'm not complaining at all..

it's just interesting how it could be that matched packs give 290 secs of runtime... i want to know what's happening, cause i plan to buy some packs for our local club..
You first said they were UNmatched - and with unmatched packs, you're stuck with the LOWEST cell in your pack so if you have one that Danny would throw out as junk, you're bringing the entire pack down with it.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:34 AM
Tech Regular

Boomer,

I believe he is referring to Kyle's matched pack yielding 290 sec run time #'s
Old 03-16-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Okay - was just saying is all.

He DID say they were unmatched. . .
Old 03-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Tech Rookie

I think it is EFRA aproved
It's size conforms to all sanctioned rules.
It's GP3700 that has diameter too big, takes quite some time to get approved in ROAR, EFRA, and all rules that mandates current diameter size.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

It's not just ROAR, EFRA, IFMAR, etc.

Size is actually set by international standards by battery guys - we just use the Sub-C sized cell and there are fairly tight restrictions for size on those - within 1mm.

I understand that the 3700's have finally gotten size down to legal.

Still like my 3600's though.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Any news on the status of the IB cell problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.