Wiki Posts
Search

Drift Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Drift Tires

anybody how many brands make drift tires? has anybody tested them? im thinkin of getting some and wehre can i get them?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Tech Addict

home depot. pvc works best for me. yokomo makes a few types. hpi i think came out with sum. but yea. pvc. abs. tape. works
Old 01-16-2005, 07:21 AM
Tech Rookie

i wrapped an old set of foams with electrical tape. they work well.
just make sure you pull it tight as you wrap it and that the end of the tape lays correctly so it doesn't peel off. 3 exact wraps(balance) you will wrap 2 in 1 direction and 2 in the opposite direction.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

I use ABS, its the best working and most realistic thing you can use. I use to sell wheels with abs mounted on them but nobody wanted to buy them from me for what the wheels where even worth. If you are interested i could make you a set
Old 01-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

i have run electric tape and abs/pvc. tape is ok but i gota buy alot of them constantly, mine wore out really fast. ABS/PVC has no grip wat so ever, and all u do is slide. i think thats really oring. wheres the fun in no speed wat so ever. teh reason i want drift tires is because i want grip and i want drift. i want to be able to drift but still have a little bit of grip for normal running.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Tech Addict

with the abs on asphalt i can pull 25mph+ drifts, you just have to learn how to control the car and build up speed. I tried the yokomo drift rings and i personally dont like it, but give them a shot it might be what you want.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Tech Regular

il see. il get some drift rings and ilg et some tires. i wil post a reply on how much they differ.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

??? Enlighten me. I'm assuming drift tires are a training thing, teaching you how to run a racing line and not rely solely on your tires to corner. Excuse my ignorance...
Old 01-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I still like to use PVC cause i find drift is all about style and how close u can follow the car in front and preasure him.
If i want to go for speed i will pefer to play touring
Old 01-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

i find drift as being able to slide a car sideways at a pretty fast speed.

i believe pvc/abs is for training. drift tires are harder ro mkae the car drift becaus they actually have some traction, as where abs/pvc doesnt at all. I believe thta pvc/abs drifting is too easy. all u do is steer and voila, imsta drift. dats to boring. as where if u need to brake the car and give it power o mkae the car understeer, now dats drifting.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Oh, OK, so it's more for real racing. Makes the driving style less like open-wheel racing and more like rally or GT, I guess.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Liko
Oh, OK, so it's more for real racing. Makes the driving style less like open-wheel racing and more like rally or GT, I guess.
Dude, drift is not racing.

Its more of showmanship and artistry.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

i find drift as being able to slide a car sideways at a pretty fast speed.

i believe pvc/abs is for training. drift tires are harder ro mkae the car drift becaus they actually have some traction, as where abs/pvc doesnt at all. I believe thta pvc/abs drifting is too easy. all u do is steer and voila, imsta drift. dats to boring. as where if u need to brake the car and give it power o mkae the car understeer, now dats drifting
first off you mean oversteer? sure to drift pvc is easy but to actually make it smooth and creative, pvc is definityl the way to go. you do not need speed to make drifitng fun. maybe the tracks you drift on is too easy. make your own. go to an empty parking lot with a couple hoses and lay down a track as tight and curvy as you can and try connecting all the drifts. its not as easy as youd think. and for whoever said they wanted drift tires for grip and also drifitng. no that wont work. its one or the other. youd hafta slow down an insane amount to actually grip around a corner. not too much practice.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

ive been driftin for about 4 years now, i know my stuff. i personally dont like pvc because its just pure slidin. IMO tape feels better to me then pvc. i dont want to argue, im just putting down wat i believe.

also with drift tires, IMO the car can actually go straight and catch speed faster then pvc will ever. im running a novak ss5800 and i want to use it to its full potential. pvc for is just plain boring.