Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam vs Rubber....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

95% of the tracks where foam is raced also have at least 1 nice person who will true yr. tires or loan you a truer.

Also, you can start youi tires at 2.30. 2.25 is race sized, as in big races.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Skip109
11 runs! I'll bet I had 30 runs on one set of Plaid/ dbl pinks for the hole week. I had no problems with chunking. You also said "hides poor setup"I think you have this backwards. At least when I get 10 runs on my foams my lap times wont drop by 1/2 sec. Leave the foam comments to the people that know how to run them.

Amen.....Rubber tires are slower the longer you run them and you can’t bring them back. Its called heat cycles there are just so many that the tire can go through before the grip level falls off a lot. Going back to when we ran rubber tires it was common to see guys use two sets of pre-mounts in a weekly club race....why newer tires are always faster. Anyone that says that they are getting more then 3 or 4 runs on a set of rubber tires and experiencing the same grip levels is a fool. Rubber tires will always get slower the more you use them. Gary if everyone locally went back to running rubber tires you would see a huge span (time and laps) between the rubber guys racing now and the guys coming back from foam. Why b/c all the foam guys know that newer rubber tires are faster and will spend the money to go faster. So would you still sit there and say that you can get 30+ runs on a set when you’re getting lapped by guys that have 2 run tires? It all just comes down to the level of racing that you want to race at. If you want to sit there and race a set of rubber tires for a month fine that’s your choice. If you want to race at the level where it cost money to compete then you are going to have to spend money no matter if its foams or rubbers. Both classes are expensive to race at a high level one is not cheaper then the other but foams have a greater advantage as far as life goes. If you want to talk about chunking foam tires what about knocking a rubber rim into a potato-chip? When I ran rubber tires this was the most common thing that I saw….one board hit and the rim was all outa wack. Half the times with the chunks you can repair them or depending on the chunk it might not effect the tire at all. This debate will never end.....
Old 01-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I ran rubber and was progressing along pretty good. I was finding better n better setups and getting faster as the months went by.It was a really smooth asphault track .Then one year the coolest indoor carpet track opened. Hot dang I said this is gonna be way cool.You could not ask for a better place.It has a Hudy truer for all to use,I had all the help I needed learning to run carpet.I raced for well over a year every weekend.I tried everything in the book. I could not get the hang of it.Carpet just aint my thing.I tried and tried and tried I was just going nowhere. My laptimes where not going up. There is just something about carpet that just does not feel like a natural surface for a car to be running on.Give me some rubber tires and some asphault.Thats what a car should be running on like the real ones.I had some help from a few of the best from our local guys to some fast out of towners.Don,t get me wrong I'm not giving up.I just think asphault is the real deal for me anyway.I ran on asphault and rarely ever broke and, my bodys lasted forever.On carpet I tore up everything I put down on the track .lol
Old 01-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Run a decent set of rims and there's not an issue with rubber tire rims. There were some problems with some of the CS rims from about this time last year to about August, but it seems like that problem has been taken care of. I still see more people chunking foams than I see rubber rims being cracked. I think the tracks going to spec tires also made that problem seem worse just because there were so many people running one manufacturer's rims. I have never broken or cracked a Tamiya rim, Schumacher, or Ofna. The only ones I ever had issues with were some Take off rims (I don't know which these were as the rims weren't marked) and Jaco rims. The Take Offs from back then were prone to center-punching the hex out, while the Jaco's were brittle and cracked. Again, 3 sets, 12 tires, for a total of 11 runs versus 1 set of rubber tires that would have lasted all those runs and then some...

I know there are people that can true tires at the track, I just hate asking people for that stuff and inconvieniencing them. 2.20 is what 4 people told me to start off at, so that's why I started there.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

foam sucks
Old 01-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

2.20 is great for the Novak race. Ask them again in 3 weeks.

I don't think Kevin was talking about cracked rims. Proline dishes wobble if you look at the boards funny.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Some of the spoked rims were prone to warping as well. Again, that's why I stick with certain rims and avoid others like the plague.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Kevin K
Amen.....Rubber tires are slower the longer you run them and you can’t bring them back. Its called heat cycles there are just so many that the tire can go through before the grip level falls off a lot. Going back to when we ran rubber tires it was common to see guys use two sets of pre-mounts in a weekly club race....why newer tires are always faster. Anyone that says that they are getting more then 3 or 4 runs on a set of rubber tires and experiencing the same grip levels is a fool. Rubber tires will always get slower the more you use them. Gary if everyone locally went back to running rubber tires you would see a huge span (time and laps) between the rubber guys racing now and the guys coming back from foam. Why b/c all the foam guys know that newer rubber tires are faster and will spend the money to go faster. So would you still sit there and say that you can get 30+ runs on a set when you’re getting lapped by guys that have 2 run tires? It all just comes down to the level of racing that you want to race at. If you want to sit there and race a set of rubber tires for a month fine that’s your choice. If you want to race at the level where it cost money to compete then you are going to have to spend money no matter if its foams or rubbers. Both classes are expensive to race at a high level one is not cheaper then the other but foams have a greater advantage as far as life goes. If you want to talk about chunking foam tires what about knocking a rubber rim into a potato-chip? When I ran rubber tires this was the most common thing that I saw….one board hit and the rim was all outa wack. Half the times with the chunks you can repair them or depending on the chunk it might not effect the tire at all. This debate will never end.....

BINGO!

Matt
Old 01-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks Kevin... I posted some of the same points in the last "foam verses rubber tire" thread and I was told you could run your rubber tires until you saw the cords
I like rubber tire racing BUT you have to spend more to stay fast
With our foams I run them almost to the rims before I toss them... Sobottka measured our tires at the Oshkosh series race and they were 2.110
As for chunking... I very rarely have to throw a tire away because of it... a little ca and back on the track