Press release: Stormer Hobbies brings back the 1/12 Parma Osella

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Press release: Stormer Hobbies brings back the 1/12 Parma Osella

Part number: PAR1951
Availability, now from Stormer

The original Parma Osella. One of the greatest handling 1/12th bodys ever made. Originally made in 1984, these bodys are being pulled again from the Original Parma mold, by Parma exclusively for Stormer Hobbies.

These have the overspray film on them (old ones, no film), and we had Parma engrave a "K" on the lower back part of the body mold, that wouldn't be on the originals. The K is to show respect and give props to Parma founder Ken MacDowell, and show it's a current pull of the body. It's on the back, on the piece you trim off. But it's there, and I think it's important to show that respect for both Ken, Parma, and the collector crowd.

We kinda guess that they were originally discontinued about 1991-1992 or so, and now they're back home here at Stormer. Race them, or put them on your shelf queen. Stormer had the Osella's made for you, and we're proud to bring back a small piece of history for all of us.

Note from Bob Stormer:
"... I'm glad we did this. This body is a rich part of our 1/12 history, and I remember tearing up a fair amount of these back in the day. Great handling body, right there with the TOJ. Just to look at it, the Osella puts a smile on my face. I hope it does for you too."

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-27-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You Rock Bob,

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!

Thanks again,

Ben
Old 01-28-2012, 05:32 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Yes the Osella is a very nice body as well, right after the TOJ. Last year I was looking for one for a long time and then got this painted one. Well the paintjob may be good or not but it was an Osella.
Attached Thumbnails Press release: Stormer Hobbies brings back the 1/12 Parma Osella-img_1170_800.jpg  
Old 01-28-2012, 05:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

That is a nice looking body!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

.........hey Bob, nudge the Parma guys in the ribs to mold up some vintage 1/8 gas bodies.............we probably have 10+ guys who are going to be running Pan 1/8 gas in Toledo next year and WE ALL want vintage bodies to run.........guys would probably buy multiple pieces per racer..................One of our old time 1/8 Toledo guys contacted the Parma guys and they didnt seem to interested in doing the 1/8 stuff.............
Old 01-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Taylorm
......One of our old time 1/8 Toledo guys contacted the Parma guys and they didnt seem to interested in doing the 1/8 stuff.............
True, and here's why. And I mentioned it in another thread. There are only maybe 300-500 vintage bodys to be sold worldwide every year (maybe). Most aren't destroyed like a current race body would be, so eventually the market will cease. And something you sell one or two of once a week for $18 bucks, isn't much of a market if you're a manufacturer.

Let's say we bring back 50 of the best (subjective at best old bodies in every category. so instead of two part numbers producing say 200 sales annually, now you have 50 bodies producing 10 sales annually each.

And that's the rub. It's a lot of "make work" for little or no return for everybody involved. bodys take up a LOT of space, especially in big quantitys. So somebody like Stormer has to come in and guarantee a quantity, pay for them, then store and sit on what is likely a lifetime supply of all 50 bodys.

As romantic an idea as it is, it's simply not practical or even a good idea. I believe at this time, we have over 700 bodies that we've categorized on our site and maybe another 300-400 that should be. That's a 1000 different bodies. Wrap around that for a second. 1000 different ones. By having so many options, we have finally, as an industry, come up with so many options, nothing sells all that well. How could it? 1000 different ones. Not 2 or 3.

I'm gonna play it by ear. We have two 1/12 bodys we've brought back, the Schkee and the Osella. I have 2 more that we'll have out on Monday or Tuesday (235mm 1/10th based). They've been in the building for a week now. It's killing me not talk about it. Because I enjoy it is why we now have these options. It's not based on good business, I can tell ya. I think it's important. And it's important to me to have these options for those that want that one last little shot at some cool. Even if they never sell, I'm happy with that. I'm doing my part personally to keep some history alive for those that enjoy it.

This particular project is a labor of love, passion. Even the 1/12 Osella, I've been working on restoring a car for it, and painting one up for a week now. It's important. At least to me, and I hope a few others.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
It's important. At least to me, and I hope a few others.
I think there's more than a few of us old-timers that appreciate what you're doing to document the history of our beloved addiction.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation Re...Vintage bodies

I will be ordering a couple of the 1/12th bodies with my next order, and 1/10th, I still have a couple of the 1/10 peujo (spl). I am anxously waiting to see which 1/10 235 bodies are coming. I was one of the diehards racing 10 pan (EV10) in the WCIC's series in Edmonton and Regina the last couple years we ran them.

TJ
Old 01-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Tech Elite

Painted one up and did some work on an older car to match.

I was trying to hit like 1988, looks more 1986 to me. Paragon sticker looks about right. I think we were a bit more fluorescent in 1988, and less organized with sticker placement... MAN, this is VERY hard to do. I'm just having a lot of trouble remembering what we did.

the car. Lot of things still bother me about it. I think I'm gonna put different braid on the pack and lose the connector. In my minds eye, I'm seeing a novak 2s and a receiver pack. Probably a Novak 1, or a 4 in it. Maybe take 2mm off the tires, Then I'll be happier.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-29-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Bob,

Kudos to your efforts on the vintage stuff.....I like the osella body and used to have a few. I personally never had much interest in the schkee, don't remember ever having one myself but others did in my club. My real love is in the TOJ.

I still have literally hundreds (maybe 500) of old vintage magazines from all periods back to 1982. Hit me up in the future of what info you need from what era and I will go look in the garage for you. These include RC News, Competition Plus, RC Model Car, RCCA, Radio Control International and probably a few others.

Steve Curry - Old School Raceway Hobbies Dude
Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Taylorm
One of our old time 1/8 Toledo guys contacted the Parma guys and they didnt seem to interested in doing the 1/8 stuff.............
Parma would be interested if you were prepared to do what Bob has done, and buy a serious quantity of bodies from them. Remember when they are moulding your bodies they aren't moulding the ones they make a living from. If the old moulds don't match the latest machines they have, there can be a day of work that has to be paid for in getting the mould ready and running test pulls to get the settings right.

I have had small runs of bodies from Frewer, which being a much smaller company are pretty accommodating in pulling short runs, but they still ended up costing $40 a piece and we had to buy minimum quantities to get the price down to that.
I also have a mate who got Schumacher to pull a run of old bodies for him, they wanted $300 for the set up costs before making any bodies, so he had to work out how many bodies he needed to buy to make the price per shell reasonable.

If you want Parma to mould some bodies for you, wanting a handful of them isn't going to get them moulding them for you. Go to them and try to buy (and pay for!) 100 or more bodies of one type and then see if they are interested.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Bob... you cause me to dig in my past the whole sunday....

Just wonder if my wife can use this as a valid divorce reason.....

Anyhow

My unpainted babies:

A couple of Associated's toj, a 917K from Bolink, a lovely Parma Lancia gr. 6, a still wrapped Parma Sckhee and a cloned Tamiya 956 sitting over a Corally sp12g2.

And this my idea to enjoy some track test...

A splitted 7.4 lipo, coupled with a 540 (or a Sport Tuned one), should be more than enough to match the 1980-1984 speed....

I'll be alone at track enjoying this old lady....

This post is to encourage Bob in the job he's doing for us!!!

Ohhhh, almost forgot, I found some Schumy C-car rear shaft, with quick changing wheels. Let me know if might interest your time search....
Old 01-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

You'll like racing the silver can motor in 1/12th. Excellent fun. Good run time.

Hasn't been an excuse yet for my wife, you're probably fine. Although I do have to occasionally look over my shoulder to make sure those folks from the Hoarders TV show aren't showing up at my wifes request. :P~~~

Originally Posted by Giorgio
Bob... you cause me to dig in my past the whole sunday....

Just wonder if my wife can use this as a valid divorce reason.....

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-29-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Wow

So awesome. I'm just going to keep telling you every body that I want re-popped and you will make it come true. Too much. Thanks. I am ordering today.

Art