Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 Cell Sedan Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The support from the industry is there for the switch to 4 cell. AE/Reedy and Orion are behind it, Josh thinks it's a good idea. These are the people that have the most at stake in all of this. They want the industry to grow becuase that is what puts food on their tables. This isn't a hobby for them. They want to guide the hobby in directions that keep it fun so people stay in it.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by speedxl
So lets stop blaming equipment and look for the real answer why there arent more newbies. I think they are over at the nitro track getting fustrated and going home!
SpeedXL - Thats was awsome! They rest of the stuff you have said in the last few days I dont with at all agree with but your still my boy!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Rumor through the grapevine is that there will be a 4-cell, foam tire mod exhibition class at the Northwest Carpet Champs in Stockton, CA.

Adrian, you should call your boy Clint up and convince him to run it.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Tech Champion

I talked to Ruben...

Schumacher is sponsoring the first 5 entries in that class.

There will most likely be exibition classes at other races this year...
Old 01-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Actually Adrian I think 5-cell would be better than 4-cell.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

I wouldnt mind if it were switched to 4 cells instead of 6. But its going to take a large effort on the part of the manufactures to re design the cars for the weight difference. Also I think it should apply to all classes not just mod. Like someone else said here it would make going from 12th scale to TC easier. Mod racing is getting pretty far out of hand on the speed area. The average guy club racing just cant handle it with 6 cell. Maybe 4 cell will make mod TC more of an option to the average club guy.

On the tire issue. I switched from rubber tires to foam tires this year on carpet. Rubber tires turned into a tire war. Even with the TO27 as a spec tire if you wanted to win you had to spend money. With the foams I can start out my tires at 2.25" and run fast all the way down to the rims. They may be a little faster as they get smaller but until my driving gets perfect I have alot more to worry about.

Im not sure if this all affects carpet and asphalt racing equally as much. But in any case it should be consistant for both. If the manufactures think 4 cell is the way to go thay need to get together and step up and make it so. I dont know alot but I know change is hard and not very fun. In any form of racing but it almost always gets better in the long run. Technology is never going to stop progressing. We need to progress with it, or it will leave us behind.

I just want to race. If I have to wind up a rubber band before the race thats what Ill do.

Great discussion from everyone BTW one of the best threads I have ever seen on the Tech.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

I think all electric classes should switch to 4-celll, at least all onroad classes. Yes, this will slow down stock and 19 turn, but most of the guys running at the front of those classes need to step up anyway and let some of the new guys win. Ive watched some brand new drivers try to control their cars with new technology battereis and stock motors and you could tell it was too much for them. Can't be much fun crashing all over the place for them.

Sometimes the experienced guys must step up and allow some changes to be made that they might not agree with form their skill level, but will help everybody as a whole.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Rick - I talked to Sean Cochran about that. He also said 5 cell may be better. The main problem is the need for a reciever pack in Mod. You will need a 5 cell Rx pack or 5 cells to keep you rx and servo running at the end of a run.

I'm surprised no one commented on that but it is an excellent point.

What would you guys prefer....

1. 4 cells with rx packs?

or...

2. 5 cells?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

4 cell with rx pack so you can use the same packs for 1/12th scale.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When I am at the LHS I get sick to my stomache when I here someone come in and when asked what they are looking for...."I want the fastest" or ask "how fast is it?" I can't blame the LHS for selling them what they want, they have to make money....

Everyone of us has been there and all of us thought "what an idiot"...... the funny thing is most of the posts in this thread make me feel the same...... all of you seem to be saying "it won't be fast enough"..... however I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure how fast it will be so i won't argue this point.....

However I am willing to rebut on a few.....

First- "leave the cars at 6 cells but make them lighter".... hello to make the cars lighter you have to remove material, which makes it more fragile, then you will be criing "my car break even when I barely tap anything" Right now I think most manufacturers are striking the best balance in weight and durability.

Second- "if we start racing 4 cells then manufacturers will have to charge more to make the same profit"... wrong agian, with batteries costing 2/3 as much now the guys like myself that only buy 1-2 packs a year will have the extra cash to buy 3-4 packs.... and now they will have 33% more packs of the good stuff to sell to consumers... not to mention now 1/3 of the really good stuff that is now reserved for the sponcered racers will be available to teh public.... and those cells will go at a higher rate because of the better numbers..... Also nobody is saying every RC car should run on 4 cells, sport packs and spec packs will still be 6 cells. So now instead of racers getting stick packs all racers will have "racing batteries".....

Besides if the bigger matchers don't start doing something different they will be searching for new ways to make money.... there are just too many upstart matchers that sell for way more reasonable prices and offer the same/better preformance.....

Personally I can't understand for the life of me why Traxxas hasn't been sued yet.... I mean they built a 60+mph 9 pound land rocket that handles for $#it, advertise it as such and you just know some idiot parent that doesn't know their heads from thier a$$e$ when it comes to RC bought one for little 7 year old Jimmy.... and within 2 weeks he lost control of it and either hit himself or somebody else and broke their leg... and the to top it off they then built and released an 18LB. 40+mph tank ment for jumping and unleashed it on the morons of the world....
Old 01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rick Hohwart
Actually Adrian I think 5-cell would be better than 4-cell.
Way back when I ran 5 cells in stock and mod offroad a few times and went faster then with 6 cells. 5 cells might be better like Rick said. Didnt some guys at the offroad worlds do this?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Tech Regular

Wouldnt a 4cell pack actually cost less than 2/3 of a 4 cell? Reason being that its easier to match the pack, because you dont have to find 6 similar cells. That cuts down on the labour required.

Also, making a 4 cell pack, I would imagine you can get a closer match. Then your packs last longer. And youre not discharging at as high a rate, so your packs last longer because of that.

From a longevity point of view, it sounds good.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by AdrianM
Most racers are like thedominator. They just want to run and have fun. If you loose 1mm of ride height per run and you raise your car back to normal you just changed your droop and camber too. Now you handling goes away. Are average racers willing to keep up with this...no. So they race rubber.
Even when i did race rubber i always checked my camber after each race. With an 11 dollar camber gauge it takes about 30 seconds to do. Even me the "casual" racer checks all my settings after each race. It only takes a minute or two. Most everyone I talk to who have run both prefer foams.

I still like the idea of 4 cell mod for beginners and 6 cell mod. don't think everything should become 4 cell.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Heck, I know one paid full factory driver that dosn't trust himself to set his own gear mesh!

ROTFLOL!!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Rick - I talked to Sean Cochran about that. He also said 5 cell may be better. The main problem is the need for a reciever pack in Mod. You will need a 5 cell Rx pack or 5 cells to keep you rx and servo running at the end of a run.

I'm surprised no one commented on that but it is an excellent point.

What would you guys prefer....

1. 4 cells with rx packs?

or...

2. 5 cells?
adrian thanks yea you my bro!
as far as 5 cell its more workable but why not find cells that have less vltage!
Adrain arent there cells that offer same 3300 capcity and a voltage of about 1.14?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.