Search
Like Tree1Likes

T.O.P. PHOTON EX

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Typeone
Are the yokomo gear diffs are they from the BD7 and is there any mod to putting them in. Could I run the Spec R's yokomo gear diff that they make or is the one from yokomo better?
Yes you can use the yokomo diff all you need to do is shim them out properly with the red spacers used on the ex diff.i personally would stay away from spec r
Old 12-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

So I see Top Racing coming out with the Sabre S4. I talked to Michael from Top and said it's geared more to the Asian market but the kit seems like it's up to date like all the new touring cars like the top deck, split mounts, looks like lower bulk heads most of the options and new motor mount. I want to know if I could use the motor mount and split mounts on my EX. And if so do I have to buy the new chassis?
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. PHOTON EX-image.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Also can I use the Yokomo BD7 Titanium coated main gear shaft instead of the stock steel one that comes with the EX. Also what rear suspension arms, hubs work on the EX (Tamiya, Yokomo). Also running on asphalt is it best to run 46mm shafts in front and 44mm in the rear?

Last edited by Typeone; 12-16-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

So I see Top Racing coming out with the Sabre S4. I talked to Michael from Top and said it's geared more to the Asian market but the kit seems like it's up to date like all the new touring cars like the top deck, split mounts, looks like lower bulk heads most of the options and new motor mount. I want to know if I could use the motor mount and split mounts on my EX. And if so do I have to buy the new chassis?
I would be guessing they don't fit the current car, and no you won't be able to use the S4 bottom deck. Best bet is to buy the layshaft assembly/motor mount and get a custom bottom deck for the EX made up.

Bulk heads, diff mounts , blocks and towers are from the TOP Scythe, new parts consist of centre assembly, top and lower decks.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

Ok looks like a great chassis just don't want to buy something with cheap aluminum cause tweaking the bulkheads would be a serious problem. Idk i want it for the new design looks great but I want a good quality car like the EX.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ok looks like a great chassis just don't want to buy something with cheap aluminum cause tweaking the bulkheads would be a serious problem. Idk i want it for the new design looks great but I want a good quality car like the EX.
I talked to EJ about this car. I first thought it was going to replace the EX. But what OD said is correct. From what I've heard the New EX will be a lot higher quality better fit parts, and the aluminum is 7075. (Unlike the Sabre)
Old 12-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Im trying to talk EJ into leaking me some pictures of the new EX to post. Also heard a rumor of new shocks.. Just a rumor..
Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris
Im trying to talk EJ into leaking me some pictures of the new EX to post. Also heard a rumor of new shocks.. Just a rumor..
So besides the Sabre S4 there's going to be a NEW EX in the making sounds promising. I think I'm going to pick up some 3Racing SSK dcjs for the front. I have the V2 front hubs, what size of wheels hubs do I use from 3Racing or it doesn't matter as long as the wheel hubs are from them. Is there any shimming or just the v2 hubs and wheel hubs?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

So besides the Sabre S4 there's going to be a NEW EX in the making sounds promising. I think I'm going to pick up some 3Racing SSK dcjs for the front. I have the V2 front hubs, what size of wheels hubs do I use from 3Racing or it doesn't matter as long as the wheel hubs are from them. Is there any shimming or just the v2 hubs and wheel hubs?
T.O.P has their own DCJS. They work really well and are super strong.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Yeah but kinda pricy and my local hobby shop has them in stock. So I order to use them what do I need to do?? Also does the tamiya metal gears for the gear diff work in the ex gear diff?

Last edited by Typeone; 12-16-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

I have the aluminum belt pulleys and when I installed it I had a lot of side to side play how much do I have to shim it from the slop in there?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

until it goes away. LOL... I really don't know. I have never used the aluminum pulleys
Old 12-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have the aluminum belt pulleys and when I installed it I had a lot of side to side play how much do I have to shim it from the slop in there?

Play on the shaft? Try to reduce to 0.2mm with shims (wheel bearing shims will fit)

Play on the spurgear it's self between the two pulleys is a bit harder, but sometimes a 3mm shim will fit

Regards Robert
Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So for my understanding.

The Sabre S4 is a lower cost, and "lower quality" car (altough it has a lot of Photon EX Parts). But cheaper and mostly for the Asian market.
The manual is online and you can allready pre-order it at some Asian shops. So only the Aluminium and carbon would have a lower quality.

But as far as I understand there is also a new Photon EX coming? Any news on that one?

Regards Robert
Old 12-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Robert_K
So for my understanding.

The Sabre S4 is a lower cost, and "lower quality" car (altough it has a lot of Photon EX Parts). But cheaper and mostly for the Asian market.
The manual is online and you can allready pre-order it at some Asian shops. So only the Aluminium and carbon would have a lower quality.

But as far as I understand there is also a new Photon EX coming? Any news on that one?

Regards Robert
Correct it's prob not 7075 aluminum prob something cheaper cause the cost of the Sabre S4 is $290 and the Ex v2 is like $370 or something like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.