Like Tree1Likes

T.O.P. PHOTON EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Luppi Stefano
please use a samal amount of threadlock on collars
They were thread locked. The thread depth is so off I can slide the collar down the shock body. It immediately collapsed the shocks and dragged the chassis. Thread lock will not fix the issue. Had to use collars from a friends tcx.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by S.Stew
I'm currently pretty upset with my brand new ex. Made the trip down to leisure hours from Michigan to try my new sedan just to find out that its completely useless due to shock collars that slide down the shock bodies. Damaged my new chassis too. Wth?
Originally Posted by Luppi Stefano
please use a samal amount of threadlock on collars
Originally Posted by S.Stew
They were thread locked. The thread depth is so off I can slide the collar down the shock body. It immediately collapsed the shocks and dragged the chassis. Thread lock will not fix the issue. Had to use collars from a friends tcx.
Yeah, it would take a mountain of thread lock to stop mine jumping threads, I'm still waiting on replacement collars from TOP, no word yet, it's a good thing I had the ones from my old car.

And like you, worst part was not realizing what was happening till the chassis took a beating, kind of still a little upset over that myself...
Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

It your really stuck and need to use the collars try a good amount of thread tape (teflon tape)

A couple of layers of that will get you through
Old 07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
Those California boys have figured this out -- they just need to post up how they did it. I have a fist full of flanged bearings from them, but I haven't attempted to fix it yet.
Hi,

Any feedback on the flanged bearings to remove slop in the steering rack? Thanks
Old 07-02-2012, 07:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vadersing
Hi,

Any feedback on the flanged bearings to remove slop in the steering rack? Thanks
i put 4 flanged bearings in my mod car - top and bottom, but didn't have a good solution for the 'top' screw. if over tightened it causes some binding. i had one of the screws come loose -- but i was running modified. it definitely helped w/ the wobble... but needs more work.

ignoring that somewhat minor issue -- i have to say i'm super happy with the handling of my photon ex on solaris tires. this past weekend we have a great turn out of super fast guys for a cash race for 17.5 blinky tc. Larry threw down the TQ + win... and drove his ass off after both of us had the slowest cars speed wise in the a-main. I qualified 4th and finished 4th. I think if I had more rip I could of challenged for more. My car accelerated in the corners, not the straightaway

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
Yeah, it would take a mountain of thread lock to stop mine jumping threads, I'm still waiting on replacement collars from TOP, no word yet, it's a good thing I had the ones from my old car.

And like you, worst part was not realizing what was happening till the chassis took a beating, kind of still a little upset over that myself...
really, I noticed it when assembling the shocks, easy fix, well mine was anyway.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
really, I noticed it when assembling the shocks, easy fix, well mine was anyway.
I found the orings masked just how loose mine were during the build, and I never though to just grab a collar and try and force it, fearing damaging them.

But the reality on track was being so bumpy, you fired fast into a bumpy sweeper, and bang goes the collars, a couple threads at first, then by mid meet a lot more, with you wondering why the car suddenly won't turn.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by skypilot
I had my kit assembled about a month or more before trying to race it. I noticed just from handling it that the collars were moving because the fitment was loose. I put lock tight in about half to three quarters of the circumference of each collar and reassembled. That took care of them turning on their own, so I don't believe this to be a suitable solution. Within a lap the car was exchanging ends and completely undrivable because the shocks collapsed.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I soaked my orings in oil for the collars prior to assembly. Id agree they aren't as good as they where.. but I haven't had them move on me yet...
Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

I soaked my orings in oil for the collars prior to assembly. Id agree they aren't as good as they where.. but I haven't had them move on me yet...
I swear I should post a video...I slid them down the shock body with moderate force. They jumped half a thread (crooked) with almost no significant force. I already emailed OD and he's working with me to get replacements.

Another note...anyone else having trouble achieving static balance? I've got pretty standard electronics but yet I don't have room for enough lead to balance the thing.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used a needle noose pliers and tweeked the inner lip of the coller in a little bit and they worked great.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Why not just use and extra set of collars that are threaded upside down and tighten the two collar against each other to lock the collar in place?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by MDawson
Why not just use and extra set of collars that are threaded upside down and tighten the two collar against each other to lock the collar in place?
Nah.
I rather just replace the parts if it was effecting me.
OD will do the right thing..
Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Tech Adept

Hi,
Can someone tell me how many teeth there are on the white low friction main drive belt for the Photon EX and belt length if that's possible??

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

More great results for the Photon's
http://www.redrc.net/2012/07/soren-b...d3-in-denmark/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.