Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Wouldn't Rubber Tires for 1/12 Scale Be a GOLD mine ? >

Wouldn't Rubber Tires for 1/12 Scale Be a GOLD mine ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Wouldn't Rubber Tires for 1/12 Scale Be a GOLD mine ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm in the process of 1/12th because the cars are fast.... Foams are so convenient nowadays with pretrued tires.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
I guess some of you think rubber tires are a move forward, if you mean more complexity and expense, you're right.

Where would the GT500 Pan/Rubber combo fall in here, Do we need yet another class of painfully slow, scale cars parading around? perhaps, but don't we already have, RCGT, USVTA, F1, & Mini.

How many slow, realistic classes do we need?
Why is 12th scale so often the target of fixation for the rubber tire lovers.

12th scale is the fastest car on a road course, conservative as it is, that's the fact.
Simple, low cost, low maintenance, cheap tires, cheap lipos (1s)
It doesn't need to be fixed, no spec tires, rubber tires, just leave it alone, it works as is.

+1

Steve Dunn
Indianapolis, IN USA
Old 12-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtbboy
It seems to me that in an attempt to simplify our sport ,removing the need to remove and reinstall your tires every other run would be beneficial.
Um, what's so complicated about that?

So let's replace them with something that has to be replaced every run if you want to be really fast, soaked and baked in all sorts of chemicals, costs more, grips less, drives lousy, only works at certain temps, takes longer to clean properly than I spend truing foam, etc. etc. etc.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

I guess some of you think rubber tires are a move forward, if you mean more complexity and expense, you're right.

Where would the GT500 Pan/Rubber combo fall in here, Do we need yet another class of painfully slow, scale cars parading around? perhaps, but don't we already have, RCGT, USVTA, F1, & Mini.

How many slow, realistic classes do we need?
Why is 12th scale so often the target of fixation for the rubber tire lovers.

12th scale is the fastest car on a road course, conservative as it is, that's the fact.
Simple, low cost, low maintenance, cheap tires, cheap lipos (1s)
It doesn't need to be fixed, no spec tires, rubber tires, just leave it alone, it works as is.
I don't think GT500 should be a new class. I simply think that rubber tires (with the same bodies, batteries, etc that are run now) could be a good way for new people to enter the 1/12 racing scene in a simple and economical way. It would be a stepping stone for newcomers.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

There are plenty of GT 500 videos on YouTube. Watch something from the ATS and there is no doubt that rubber tires are not as fast as foams (we know that). But they do not suck.

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Just wondering if they ever tried this?
Yes and it is not bad.

Originally Posted by Francis M.
I'm in the process of 1/12th because the cars are fast.... Foams are so convenient nowadays with pretrued tires.
You can borrow my truer. There is no such thing as a pre-trued tire. The ideal size you will run depends on the track conditions.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I don't think GT500 should be a new class. I simply think that rubber tires (with the same bodies, batteries, etc that are run now) could be a good way for new people to enter the 1/12 racing scene in a simple and economical way. It would be a stepping stone for newcomers.
So for club racing we would have 12th Rubba, 12th blinky, 12th boosted, 12th mod ?
Me thinks less is more.

I could see the rubba class for bashing, but not so much another race class.

Been watching the GT500 stuff for a while now.
I'm sure it's cool and fun though.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I a believer in free market dynamics and you would think that in the thirty years or so of people racing 1/12 scale that if rubber tires were so good then why are we still using foams. That's because the market spoke and any rubber tire wasn't purchased in enough quantities to make money, no gold mine there.

Look at the TC tires; you have treaded and slicks, belted and not belted, cold track tires, hot track tires, narrow tires, wide tires and let's not even go to the inserts.

To me the foam tires are easy to use, and I don't need a bunch for carpet. Just ask what compound works and you're good to go 90% of the time. Ask TC drivers for a tire choice and you may get a dozen types.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

So for club racing we would have 12th Rubba, 12th blinky, 12th boosted, 12th mod ?
Me thinks less is more.

I could see the rubba class for bashing, but not so much another race class.

Been watching the GT500 stuff for a while now.
I'm sure it's cool and fun though.
Club races you get what you get. If you can get 10 guys - and by guys I mean new faces at the track rather than existing racers running a second class - it is not a bad thing. Who cares what they run as long as they are racing 1/12 and in the pipeline to move up.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Club races you get what you get. If you can get 10 guys - and by guys I mean new faces at the track rather than existing racers running a second class - it is not a bad thing. Who cares what they run as long as they are racing 1/12 and in the pipeline to move up.
true dat !
Sean would probably run them with the minis, or novices, just a guess.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Isn't foam just really soft rubber ...lol
Old 08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Champion

I'm from Australia where we have a problem. 12th is all but dead. Mod 12th is kept alive by the fact it is a requirement to offer it at State and National Titles since these are our Worlds qualifying rounds. Often it doesn't meet the minimum number of entries, and doesn't run. Spec 12th classes are non-existent. The situation is shameful.

Partly this is because a large amount of our racing is done outdoors on dusty tracks, some of it at night. There are only 2 carpet tracks in NSW and the ACT (soon to be 3), and not many more around the rest of the country. When we race series we go to a variety of tracks, anything that can't work on all of them can't be raced.

12th on foam works on asphalt in fair conditions. However we have to get it to work on concrete as well or painted asphalt, and sometimes at night, on temporary circuits. I've tried all the tricks, and there is one track on which it is really terrible, and this is one of the most popular TC tracks around, so it is crucial that we find a solution here if we ever want to revive 12th. The Tamiya F103s get around there ok on rubber. In the 90s I used caps and they worked, but I can't find any now.

If anyone knows where I can get caps please tell me. I've tried BSR, they reply to my emails until I ask for price and minimum quantity and then nothing. Others have had the same experience.

At the moment I'm getting ready to try slicks made for the Mini-T, because these at least are about the same size as 12th foam tyres that are usually run, and I don't need to special order parts from Japan. Rims may be a problem but we'll see how we go.

If anyone has further advice please feel free to give it to me.

Please note I'm not seeking to start a new 12th rubber class. This is simply a solution for getting the cars to work where foam doesn't.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
I'm from Australia where we have a problem. 12th is all but dead. Mod 12th is kept alive by the fact it is a requirement to offer it at State and National Titles since these are our Worlds qualifying rounds. Often it doesn't meet the minimum number of entries, and doesn't run. Spec 12th classes are non-existent. The situation is shameful.

Partly this is because a large amount of our racing is done outdoors on dusty tracks, some of it at night. There are only 2 carpet tracks in NSW and the ACT (soon to be 3), and not many more around the rest of the country. When we race series we go to a variety of tracks, anything that can't work on all of them can't be raced.

12th on foam works on asphalt in fair conditions. However we have to get it to work on concrete as well or painted asphalt, and sometimes at night, on temporary circuits. I've tried all the tricks, and there is one track on which it is really terrible, and this is one of the most popular TC tracks around, so it is crucial that we find a solution here if we ever want to revive 12th. The Tamiya F103s get around there ok on rubber. In the 90s I used caps and they worked, but I can't find any now.

If anyone knows where I can get caps please tell me. I've tried BSR, they reply to my emails until I ask for price and minimum quantity and then nothing. Others have had the same experience.

At the moment I'm getting ready to try slicks made for the Mini-T, because these at least are about the same size as 12th foam tyres that are usually run, and I don't need to special order parts from Japan. Rims may be a problem but we'll see how we go.

If anyone has further advice please feel free to give it to me.

Please note I'm not seeking to start a new 12th rubber class. This is simply a solution for getting the cars to work where foam doesn't.
You can still find Tamiya F1 cap rubber online. I actually bought some last year from a place in the UK. It would be about the right size to cover 1/12 foams.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
You can still find Tamiya F1 cap rubber online. I actually bought some last year from a place in the UK. It would be about the right size to cover 1/12 foams.
Thanks. I have some too – that is what we used in the 90s – but it is hard to find. The solution must be sustainable, and accessible for a large number of people. I can't tell people to scour the web looking for old stock of a product that hasn't been made in 15 years.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Just trying to help
Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by robk
Just trying to help
And I appreciate that. I didn't mean to sound narky, sorry if it came across that way. Just need a long term solution is all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.