Wiki Posts
Search

Picking a new primary charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Picking a new primary charger

I'm looking for feedback and information on some of thenewer chargers on the market...

I'm trying to decide whether to try the Duratrax Ice, APS Dyno-Charge, or the Pulsar Competition 2....All of them look promising for their own reasons...but each has potential drawbacks...

Duratrax Ice - Duratrax doesn't have a history of top level gear..Iknow they are imporving at a rapid rate and it's why I'm giving this charger strong consideration.....but does it do the job well?

APS Dyno-Charge - Interesting concept...I like the extra features, but how well does the charge funtion work??

Pulsar 2 - This one is a known commodity...charges well and predictably...but I know of 2 people from our local track that got zapped by their Pulsar Comp 1's, scrambling the screen and requiring them to be returned to Associated.....1 got theirs replaced for free..the other one had to pay some significant fees for the replacement....out of 10-20 people I know with the charger seeing 2 of the Comp 1's have this problem makes me question the reliability...If it was acknowledged as a flaw then has it been adressed in the Comp 2's??

Any feedback or recommendations on any of these chargers would be greatly apreciated.

Features taht are important to me are first and foremost, quality of the charging routine...

Second...discharge...none f the listed chargers have a high current discharge..but Ihave a 30A Integy tray on order...bringing cells down at a lower rate to dump leftover charge or to assess run-time would be helpful...

Third - motor run-in functionality...I'll be runing mostly stock and am looking at doing some basic testing and tuing of my motors...not needing full-blown dyno capabilities...but making sure that the motor is ready for the track...

Thanks in advance for all your help
Old 12-18-2004, 05:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

the pulsar is a very good charger.......but if price iznt an issue the go for a compitition electronics charger........there the top chargers at the moment
Old 12-18-2004, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

I have a CE T35 Stealth....for its size, you can get basically everything except the high-amp discharge in a smaller package...

I find myself not using many of the feeatures on the Stealth...so that's why i'm looking for a new primary charger...
Old 12-18-2004, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

ice have the ice and im happy with it.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:58 AM
Tech Addict

the pit bullx3 by competition electronics is a great charger and is small in size. I have both the turbo 35 stealth and pitbull and I actualy use the pitbull more often which leaves the 35 avail for the motor funtions IE running a lath and or breaking in a motor it works great for me.
but the LRP pulsar comp 2 is also a good choice and is compact but still has the motor funtions but if you are happy with your turbo 35 but just want a smaller charger then the pitbull is the way to go.....

Last edited by Jmccormick; 12-18-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I just upgraded to a T35 GFX ... leaving my Pulsar Competition as a back-up / 2nd charger.

I have heard great things about the Pitbull X3 ... a few guys at the track are using it with great results.

I really like my pulsar and has served as a great charger to date. The motor run function is perfect for your applications and with the only real difference between the comp. and the comp. 2 being the discharge rate I can add my $0.02 that this might be one that you consider for your application.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

My pulsar false peeks everywhere, My LRp Comp one, never! Now I only use the Pulsar for Discharge at the track.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

I have a Pitbull (regular..not X3) that will be replacing my original Novak millenium as my secondary charger.....

I hadn't heard of false-peak issue withthe Pulsar chargers....but the static-shock/display scrambling issue really has me concerned with the Pulsar chargers...like I said..2 in such a small sample group has me nervous...

this was with the 1 though....nobody has lost their 2 yet....
Old 12-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default chargers

the pulsar is a very good choice for a primary charger. i have one and it never false peaks. i have seen the novak millenium pro false peak sevral times at track on several occasions. the pulsar only has a 10 amp discharge so it is not really helpful. but you said your have a discharger on order. i guess what i am getting at is, you canot go wrong with the pulsar. another one to take a serious look at would be the tekin 112a or 112c. tekin is on the rise again. they have a long history of great products. i have a 112a that works flawlessly. both are promary chargers for me
Old 12-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by duckman996
... and with the only real difference between the comp. and the comp. 2 being the discharge rate I can add my $0.02 that this might be one that you consider for your application.
They both discharge at 10 amps.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Picking a new primary charger

Originally posted by Windsorguy99
Second...discharge...none f the listed chargers have a high current discharge..but Ihave a 30A Integy tray on order...bringing cells down at a lower rate to dump leftover charge or to assess run-time would be helpful...
Which tray excatly have you ordered? As far as I can see, Integy dont have a 30 amps tray...

I think you should consider, what you want to use that discharger for;

30 amps is normally considered suitable for mod, while 20 is some kind of standard for stock. However, I've never personally used 30 amps. I'm using 20 for stock, works great.

If you just need to discharge your packs, it sounds like you dont need a charger with a built in discharger.

In that case, I would look for chargers like LRP Pulsar Sport (100$) or the Pitbull or the Millenium.

On the other hand, if you would like to be able to re-match packs (nice if you get like 3-4 matched packs at the same time - when they start to drop of, you can re-match them), then you should look for a charger with a built in discharger AND the option of cycling individual cells.

Also, if you have a built in discharger, you can monitor the state of the pack, due to the data they can deliver.

In that case, I would look for 20 amps discharge rate, measuring IR and average voltage.

Then there's the "hidden" stuff: Lets take the CDC as an example. The fans are very loud. So are the beep tones. On the other hand, the display is extremely easy to read, both while you're seated and standing. It also have a built in step-up unit. So when the voltage lower, the unit steps up. Thus you can charge a pack to a higher voltage, than the power supply deliver. Nice for TX packs, and also makes the charger quite resistant to low voltages at big race events. If you have a high end power supply, this probably means less.

Motor run in. Hmmm. Why not simply use a 3 cell pack? It can be used for motors, while charging...
Old 12-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Lrp pulsar is a great charger, you can pick em up real cheap on ebay and the quality of the charger is amazing

Chazz
Old 12-19-2004, 12:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Team much more cell master!
wicked new charger!
forum on the charger

Last edited by subman; 12-19-2004 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi all,

Any of these chargers give you this kind of information?

Check out the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Picking a new primary charger-mon-progb.jpg  
Old 12-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Yeah, Pro-Trak chargers are pretty sweet; I'm still considering getting one...

- jaybee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.