Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 R.O.A.R Carpet Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Apex
This is off topic, but you guys have a dirt offroad track and a carpet onroad track in the same building, right? How do you keep the dirt away from the carpet?
Before the tarp, we did have a problem with dirt and what not. It has not been a problem since. We had the carpet steam cleaned and vacuum it 2 times a week off the line. Traction rolling is an issue now. We also have a banner border around 60% of the track so people do not walk on it like they have in the past. If they do, they hear about it from me, the voice in the sky (loudspeakers). Its usually embarassing enough that they dont do it again
Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=wwddww34;10236719]Jim, all the guys running F1 here found that Tamiya tires are worthless on carpet. Our local F1 Guru, Robert Bremer aka. "Racer Robert", has done all the research and testing on at least 8 different sets of tires and the final answer is Pit Shimizu part numbers: PS0572 and PS0577 tires are the BEST tires to hook up your F1 on carpet. So far all the F1 guys have been ordering their tires, wheels, and other parts from www.TQrcracing.com. We also use Paragon Ground Effects on all on-road tires at our track. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the info looking forward to comming down.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was thinking about starting a separate thread on here for the F1 part of the Nats. But instead, I welcome all that are interested, to invade our F1 thread over on Mikes forum. F1 Posse Thread
Old 01-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Tested the F1 car last night how small of a tuning window does the rear diff have? mines like a 1/8 of a turn. I keep spinning out on throttle.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topdrag
Tested the F1 car last night how small of a tuning window does the rear diff have? mines like a 1/8 of a turn. I keep spinning out on throttle.
the tuning window can be infinite. it really depends on how much control you want the diff to have. you can set it to slip a little to help wit slippery conditions or no slip when there is alot of grip. every diff is different, so 1/8 of a turn cannot really be defined. tune the diff until it has the right feel for you.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mkennedy
the tuning window can be infinite. it really depends on how much control you want the diff to have. you can set it to slip a little to help wit slippery conditions or no slip when there is alot of grip. every diff is different, so 1/8 of a turn cannot really be defined. tune the diff until it has the right feel for you.
Thanks mike, but mines not infinite its about an 1/8 of a turn from being too loose to not moving at all. does that sound right?
Old 01-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topdrag
Thanks mike, but mines not infinite its about an 1/8 of a turn from being too loose to not moving at all. does that sound right?
not really. and i mean infinite as, nothing is predetermined. an 1/8 of a turn is a large enough movement to be significant. are you using tamiya parts? i ask that to check that the diff rings are not touching the gear and are riding on the diff balls. the gear should be "floating" or have some lateral movement as the balls and rings are seated together...

not meaning to take this thread off topic for the Nats, but it would probably be better for the Q & A in the 104 thread. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-f104-pro.html
Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

After a weekend full of on-road races and practice sessions, the carpet track is in excellent shape. Grip is at an all time high. Racers are having to use less Paragon on their tires in order to keep from traction rolling.

BTW, if any of you want to take a look at the track's web cam, just go here -->http://www.mikeshobbyshop.com/tcmed.htm

Old 01-31-2012, 02:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default F1 Rules question

I have a couple of questions regarding F1 at the ROAR nationals and beyond.

1. Independent rear suspensions (FGX) are allowed for this event only. Has ROAR said they are not legal for any future events?

2. Stock classes have to adhere to the 14 day rule for cars, parts, etc. where mod classes can have prototype cars, parts, etc. What is allowed in the F1 class? Will prototype cars or parts be allowed?

3. What will be teched? Body, Wings, batteries, motor, ride height, etc.?

Thanks,

Troy
Old 01-31-2012, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune

1. Independent rear suspensions (FGX) are allowed for this event only. Has ROAR said they are not legal for any future events?

Thanks,

Troy
Yes, they are back to illegal after the Carpet Nats. At least thats my understanding. I guess that could change. You planning on an appearance?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Mike's going to have a good stock of Paragon Black Label for the Nats, or is it included in some sort of goodie bag?

As a last resort do I drop a stick of wintergreen gum into my Jack and call it good j/k.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mikes always has plenty of black can paragon. It is the only sauce we have used for years and the only on-road traction compound in stock at Mike's.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

Last edited by wwddww34; 02-01-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune

2. Stock classes have to adhere to the 14 day rule for cars, parts, etc. where mod classes can have prototype cars, parts, etc. What is allowed in the F1 class? Will prototype cars or parts be allowed?

3. What will be teched? Body, Wings, batteries, motor, ride height, etc.?

Thanks,

Troy
Hey Troy, it looks like your questions 2 and 3 have not been answered yet. I don't know if the "14 day rule" applies to the F1 class, but I'll ask around for you. As far as Tech Inspections go at the ROAR Carpet Nats, expect to have every detail of your car inspected. It is very important to get the hardest inspections (e.g. Motor, Battery, Body, and Wings) out of the way as early as possible on Friday, March 16. The motor must be completely disassembled when you bring it to the Tech Table. After the inspector measures everything on and in the motor, you must fully assemble the motor in front of the inspector. Then the inspector puts some tamper-proof dots on your motor so that during the race all they have to do is look at the dots to see if you have opened up the motor post-inspection (which would immediately disqualify you). The batteries must be measured both dimensionally and electrically. They will check the voltage to make sure the battery is not "boosted" in any way. The body and wing must be within the max width limit of 190mm and there will also be a maximum and minimum height for the body. Typically the inspectors will have a rectangular box with both ends open. They will insert your car with the body and wing and it must all roll through the box without catching the sides while inside the box. I hope that helps.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wwddww34
... It is very important to get the hardest inspections (e.g. Motor, Battery, Body, and Wings) out of the way as early as possible on Friday, March 16.
Correction to my last post. Instead of getting the hardest inspections out of the way on Friday, it is highly recommended to get them out of the way on Thursday, Mar. 15, during the Pre-Tech hours from 6pm to 9pm.

To see the schedule of events go here --> http://www..../2012-carpet-nats#!schedule

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.