Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Traxxas ? Just Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I bet 75% of all the people that are going to buy are going to run it once at 100 mph break it and never use it again.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Happy Meal, if I get one, I am also going to "turn down" the speed setting to a reasonable, driveable level. Actually, I'm not turned on by the 100mph speed; I'm more into the advanced chassis and aerodynamic properties of the car. I love the computer designed undertray and diffuser and the way it is keyed to the body for a proper fit and better air control. I think setting the speed limit, if you will, to 70-80 is still more than fast enough for most people. That way I can find a decent parking lot and set up a road course. Just blasting back and forth in a straight line at 100mph would get boring pretty fast for me. I want to drive/race it on a proper roadcourse; so I will set the speed accordingly.

Also, thank you for your intelligent explanation concerning this car; it is much better than some of the negativity that I have read on this thread. I for one, have been waiting for some time for Traxxas to sell something for us on-road enthusiasts, and not just the off-road group. About time!
Old 12-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

...i want to see two of these hit head on at 100mph..........
Old 12-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4WkkoNjNJA

Sums up this thread and most threads on the internet about this car.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taylorm
...i want to see two of these hit head on at 100mph..........
Got two grand handy?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

A grand sounds like a lot but, how many of us have a g wrapped up in 1 car already? i know im over a g on my losi SCTE.... I have been waiting for an onroad car like this. Thanks TRAXXAS, just stop supporting Kyle Busch.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Happy Meal
Hey, robotech (great name, btw....big macross fan here!).....I have some answers for you.....
The tires are a patented belted tire that is very similar to a real car tire, as is the rubber compound..... With that said, it is also a very sticky tire, with a different compound front and rear. I am told that, during the drive with hemanski from car action, they did 100 mph + runs back to back to back to back, etc, THEN, they bashed it, and road coursed it in 50mph mode doing rooster tails and "diffing" the rear end.......after all of that, not even a slight tires separation on any of the tires.

With respect to the accuracy of the speed, the speedo calculation for the xo-1 even accounts for tire expansion, which is pretty cool....with that said, it is only as accurate as the sensors.....there will be a gps sensor for purchase for those guys who want more accurate info (real time g-forces, slalom g's, gps speedometer, etc).

Hope this helps!!
That's a pretty impressive tire. I used 33R HPI belted tires on the Super and we had one tire seperate right by where the belt had been fused together. The force from running 80+ MPH was enough to pull the belt apart then rip the tire in half from inside to outside. I figured for Traxxas to release an RTR kit capable of doing 100 MPH they must have done something special with the tires. I would love more info on them. I bet the belting resists balooning even more than our current belted tires. Would be nice to see that technology trickle down into a product line of new on-road tires but with on-road being as dead as it is, I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

My next question is suspension. With the Super Nitro we put the hardest Proceed springs made on the shocks to keep the chassis off the ground at speed. We used a GT-One Toyota body for the car and it generated enough downforce that keeping the chassis off the ground could be troublesome. Thus the suspension was real stiff. With the areo package Traxxas has worked into this car, I'm wondering what they did suspension wise. Sounds from the test with Car Action that they balanced it well between the demands of a high speed run car and your everyday basher.

While I'm not a huge Traxxas fan...the only Traxxas I have ever bought was a Slash for my son...I do believe they fill an important niche in our hobby. There is a reason why there are the largest R/C manufacturer in the nation. The do one thing and they do it well...make great recreational, hobby-level, R/C car kits. I think this is going to be a pretty big deal for them even with the high price tag.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jiml
Say what you want about Traxxas, but when was the last time an RC car got an article on Fox News!
[/URL]
It wasn't that long ago that the tried and true Traxxas Stampede made ABC evening news.

I dont have any posts on the forum yet so i cant post a link, but google "Afghanistan War: Hobbyists' Toy Truck Saves 6 Soldiers' Lives"
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by academygaz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4WkkoNjNJA

Sums up this thread and most threads on the internet about this car.
I enjoyed his point of view and sarcasm.

"I am not the center of the RC Universe." How true.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Robotech
That's a pretty impressive tire. I used 33R HPI belted tires on the Super and we had one tire seperate right by where the belt had been fused together. The force from running 80+ MPH was enough to pull the belt apart then rip the tire in half from inside to outside. I figured for Traxxas to release an RTR kit capable of doing 100 MPH they must have done something special with the tires. I would love more info on them. I bet the belting resists balooning even more than our current belted tires. Would be nice to see that technology trickle down into a product line of new on-road tires but with on-road being as dead as it is, I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

My next question is suspension. With the Super Nitro we put the hardest Proceed springs made on the shocks to keep the chassis off the ground at speed. We used a GT-One Toyota body for the car and it generated enough downforce that keeping the chassis off the ground could be troublesome. Thus the suspension was real stiff. With the areo package Traxxas has worked into this car, I'm wondering what they did suspension wise. Sounds from the test with Car Action that they balanced it well between the demands of a high speed run car and your everyday basher.

While I'm not a huge Traxxas fan...the only Traxxas I have ever bought was a Slash for my son...I do believe they fill an important niche in our hobby. There is a reason why there are the largest R/C manufacturer in the nation. The do one thing and they do it well...make great recreational, hobby-level, R/C car kits. I think this is going to be a pretty big deal for them even with the high price tag.
intrestingly, stiff springs were not a good option for this car, which is why they were not used. Stiff springs and super thick oil is awesome if you need to propel your car to high speeds using the downforce of an excellent body, but what about low speeds? the car would drive like a machine with no suspension at all, lol. knowing that the vehicle would be run primarily at UNDER 100mph speeds, the engineering team had to go another route. it handles well at low and high speeds, and, although the body works great aerodynamically, the car can still do 50+ MPH runs WITHOUT the body.
Tires can blow, though.....An X-01 was taken to PRI last week and a 'dyne' display was fashioned....It wasn't a true dyne, because the telemetry wanted to be featured, so, it was a simple roller system and the telemetric display info could be seen from the radio..
It was used all day and I think one tire was lost (rest in peace, dear friend) through hundreds and hundreds of passes.
It was the most talked about thing at the show......and one of the loudest!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Here is a Video from PRI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPtQTdK5Dlw
Old 12-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Happy Meal
intrestingly, stiff springs were not a good option for this car, which is why they were not used. Stiff springs and super thick oil is awesome if you need to propel your car to high speeds using the downforce of an excellent body, but what about low speeds? the car would drive like a machine with no suspension at all, lol. knowing that the vehicle would be run primarily at UNDER 100mph speeds, the engineering team had to go another route. it handles well at low and high speeds, and, although the body works great aerodynamically, the car can still do 50+ MPH runs WITHOUT the body.
Tires can blow, though.....An X-01 was taken to PRI last week and a 'dyne' display was fashioned....It wasn't a true dyne, because the telemetry wanted to be featured, so, it was a simple roller system and the telemetric display info could be seen from the radio..
It was used all day and I think one tire was lost (rest in peace, dear friend) through hundreds and hundreds of passes.
It was the most talked about thing at the show......and one of the loudest!
That's why my question was about suspension. The undertray design, from what I've seen, is similar to what Indy Cars and Formula 1s have ran in the past using the theory of fluid dynamics that says if you speed up a liquid (or gas in this case) it will create a vacuum. I'm assuming, since my physics knowledge age can be measured in decades, that there is a point at which if the chassis gets too close to the ground the airflow to the undertray is disturbed thus decreasing the amount of suction it generates and possibly regulating it to a level where the softer suspension springs, coupled with the suspension geometry they use, are more than adequate at keeping the chassis off the ground.

Can you tell I'm a little intriuged by the design of this car? LOL Really would love to know the hows and why of this. Thanks for sharing what you know Happy Meal. That video is pretty cool too. I would have loved to see the tire go. I know they wouldn't want it to get out but that had to be spectacular. Outdoors it was a hell of a bang so I can imagine what it would sound like in a hall.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm planning on running the XO-1 at no more than 50 MPH unless I acquire the driving skills to do high speed runs. I'm not interested in destroying the car because I can't acquire the driving skills required to keep it in one piece when doing High speed runs.
I would like any input/replies as to the XO-1 being able to be driven at the slower speeds without it over heating.
It is frustrating to see so many posts that indicate that High Speed runs demand no slow speed driving that apparently results in the car being in need of very expensive repairs.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Right On

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
Happy Meal, if I get one, I am also going to "turn down" the speed setting to a reasonable, driveable level. Actually, I'm not turned on by the 100mph speed; I'm more into the advanced chassis and aerodynamic properties of the car. I love the computer designed undertray and diffuser and the way it is keyed to the body for a proper fit and better air control. I think setting the speed limit, if you will, to 70-80 is still more than fast enough for most people. That way I can find a decent parking lot and set up a road course. Just blasting back and forth in a straight line at 100mph would get boring pretty fast for me. I want to drive/race it on a proper roadcourse; so I will set the speed accordingly.

Also, thank you for your intelligent explanation concerning this car; it is much better than some of the negativity that I have read on this thread. I for one, have been waiting for some time for Traxxas to sell something for us on-road enthusiasts, and not just the off-road group. About time!
I'm on the same page with you. I would like to be able to run the car at a bit more than 50 MPH without having to be concerned that the car will not be damaged with overheating.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Set the speedometer on the iphone app to 75mph.....The car is actually more stable at speeds above 50mph ( IF you add the front diffuser...mandatory at above 50).
At 75, you are driving an extremely stable street vehicle with acceleration numbers that are better than anything out there.
For performance and handling increases, I would either get the softer tires (they are available pre-mounted on black dished rims), or 1/8th scale foam tires and wheels. The foams are the best option by far, but can wear pretty quickly, and are on a smaller diameter rim, so they dont look as cool...
hope this helps