Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Well it's been a while since I have been on here and also been racing. Last weekend we had the Summer Nats in Australia which the F1 class was run as a support class. Down here we run all classes of chassis width in same event as numbers are a lot lower over seas in all classes of racing.
After struggling a little during qualifying with the setup of my car due to previous to this event been run in F103 configuration, I was busy during the break changing electrical components around to get better balance on the car with the F104 configuration. After qualifying 5th, I managed to pull off 3rd on a tie break for the first 3 positions.
A win in the 1st final. The other 2 finals I was unfortunately involved in a couple of shunts that put me to the back of the field in the remaining finals, but recovering to 2nd place in the 3rd final.
To put it mildly the car was fantastic during the finals, and still has more in it as I couldn't get the exact setup I wanted due to a lack of parts to run the bell crank steering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIStGqgmuGU
Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sobie20
hello, sorry for the ?
I have a f1r with a diffing out problem on hard 180's witch is most of are track. and when you stab the gas it pulls hard to left, I tried adjusting the radio and esc for smoother starts, or is this the nature of the beast?
pics may help
tires are 571F/575R 50wt side shocks and 35wt in center, hard front springs and red side springs. Also I have new set of 577 572 if that helps
thanks andy
First off, nice looking ride! I would check your oil weight in your dual dampers. That is going to be a lot stiffer than the out of box setup. If it is too high weight of oil, you might not be getting your rear wheels back to the ground fast enough. Try disconnecting one of them and give it a test. Also check your droop and sag. Droop - pull up the center damper, the main plate should be about .5 to 1mm when it stops moving up. Sag - push the car down and let is settle without touching it. The main chassis should be 1mm lower than normal. Now roll the car back and forth. The main chassis and pod should be parallel. Also, check your damper spring and make sure its not too hard. It will give the rear end a pogo stick effect on acceleration and transfer the weight right off the rear wheels under hard acceleration. The F1R likes fairly soft settings.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Does anybody have a part number for the aluminum piece that mounts to the rear pod to attach a damper tube? Thanks!

Edit: Got my answer thanks!

Last edited by nrtv20; 01-23-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks for the ideas, I had the car dialed, but then tuned my way out, with time in between and no notes to go back to. I thought it would be easier to just ask. will try friday night and give report.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

F1r was dialed at mikes hobby shop dallas today. TQ by almost a lap but pit stops and back markers did not work in my favor today so I had to settle for 2nd. I made the winner fight for it and gave him hell every corner for the last half of the race. My car was on a pace of its own but the leader made his car extremely wide and I could not make a clean pass. It was the most fun not winning I have ever had.

Our track is medium traction ozite, bumpy and we only use paragon ground effects.
This is the setup I have settled on:
Front, 1.5* camber, 3.5mm ride hight, tamiya soft springs, .5mm droop f3soft tires full souce

Middle, 3.5mm rh, tamiya yellow spring 3 hole piston 30wt oil, 1.5mm droop, x1 side damper with crc 5k lube, black ae side springs just touching.

Rear, 3.5mm rh, r1hard tires full souce.

Shorty pack half inch from full back position.

Fast and consistent, my best qualifier today had a fast lap of 10.9 and a top 15 average of 11.0!

Last edited by racer robert; 02-05-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: corrected camber angle
Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I didn't finish great yesterday. Still figuring out my driving style with this car. I have it under geared running 75/23 48P and set the punch control on my Justock to 3. It also limits the amount of stupid I need to dial out of the driver. I need to get a lot more laps on this car, but It finally started to come in by the end of the day. The car was pretty much on rails, but lacking top end and a little less punch than the other cars as expected. I plan on trying 25 to 27 tooth pinions next time out and play with the punch control. It is really going to be fun to run once I'm up to speed with it.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im going to race my F1R this weekend at least one heat and park the Ultra for a bit. My F1R is just almost there. I think its going to be quicker than my Ultra eventually. And like liljohn, I need to dial out some of tje stupid.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default Additional battery brace

Here's an option if you need an additional battery brace for your F1R. I have switched my battery setup from a full size high capacity LiPo to a shorty. With the config. change - both the ESC and Rx are now next to the pod, under the main damper. An issue arose with the shorty pack shifting around in this forward configuration. Solution; some shock o-rings on alloy radio posts now keep it centered. The additional brace is an Exotek part: RB6 MMsaddle pack brace S/N 1267, and Alloy twist nuts S/N 1191LB keep the pack from shifting forward/back. Ordered it directly from Exotek, and it got here in 2 days

The only modification needed are additional holes on the brace to line up with the posts :

Old 02-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

That looks awesome. Much better looking than my battery tape.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edhchoe
That looks awesome. Much better looking than my battery tape.
thx. I was running tape as well when I testing the setup, I just wanted a more convenient solution when removing - installing the battery pack.

btw - you might recognize this one:
Old 02-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

That looks good! I like the paint scheme but I prefer the wider front wing style because I crash a lot.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 AM
Tech Initiate

My new exotek F1r is on it's way from F1 Paintlabs
Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Me to!!!!!!

Originally Posted by F1Junky
My new exotek F1r is on it's way from F1 Paintlabs
Built a F104 Black version 1 and never raced the car. Now they are racing F1 in Toledo and some locals in the Cleveland have cars so I'll try it again. I love the Exotek products so I had Brad @ Paintlab send me what I need to build another car ( I sold the first one), and I look forward to this class and F1 racing in Toledo. I can only hope that we get some people to start running this class at THE GATE!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Hey guys and gals just figured i would let you know i had a 104x that i converted to a f1r and then put adjustable front end on it. i ran it at the snow bird nationals and i will say hands down this car was the class of the field i tqed by almost a lap 11 sec total lap times were 11.8 to 12.5 and i won the main by well over 3/4 of a lap and i ended up just driving it eay after the 2 minute mark to make sure i didnt crash or break

mark smyka
Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That's awesome Mark, congratulations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.