R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default Are pros using the Hudy Set Up Station?

Just wondering if anyone is aware of the thoughts of the hudy setup station amongst the pros?

Cheers
Nathan
NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR View Post
Just wondering if anyone is aware of the thoughts of the hudy setup station amongst the pros?

Cheers
Nathan
Hi Nathan, it is a much used tool in the pitts at every big race for me and many others. I use the camber guages for camber and toe religiously, many use the droop blocks also for droop, I do not for droop but i use the droop blocks for tweaking my chassis a lot, (put blocks under F/R of my chassis to see if my chassis is tweaked atall). the tweak station that comes with the all inclusive case is aplicible but not used as much by the pros.

Thanks
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:

Cheers
Nathan
Over priced, the integy works nicely and its way cheaper!!!!
For_the_win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by For_the_win View Post
Over priced, the integy works nicely and its way cheaper!!!!
I have an Integy setup station. Yes it's much cheaper, but it's not as precise as a Hudy. It does the job, but if I come across a deal on a Hudy setup station, I'll replace my Integy station in a heartbeat. Just a bit too much slop for my liking.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:

Cheers
Nathan
Anything Hudy is top notch. I use the Integy although many people use nothing.

Camber can be adjusted pretty easily without a station. The benefit of a station is that you can adjust toe- in with some accuracy plus adjust the toe-in as you adjust front camber.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default PROs

i think the better question would be are most people using the HUDY station

remember most Pro (sponsored drivers) will have some sort of deal. So they may opt to use what is cheaper for the pocket or what is mandated to be used.

I will say most of the tracks i visited HUDY seems to be most utilized setup station.
by far the easiest to see when reading the numbers.
and the quality is by far the best.

just my 2cents of course.

it's almost the weekend i am getting my stuff ready.
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
Tech Elite

I got rid of my Integy station due to the slop in it. The variance was about +/-1.5 degrees on camber. Not too good.

The Hudy is machined much tighter and is very repeatable, something I could never get with the Integy. Yes it cost more but then so do good quality tools. You do get what you pay for here.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Ronald Volker (who takes the Yokomo designer/mechanic with him to races) has posted on this forum that he does not use the setup station. Just ride height gauge, camber gauge and a droop gauge.

I'm with him - what is the point of taking the wheels off a car to take measurements, when the car will always have the wheels on when you actually use it?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Ronald Volker (who takes the Yokomo designer/mechanic with him to races) has posted on this forum that he does not use the setup station. Just ride height gauge, camber gauge and a droop gauge.

I'm with him - what is the point of taking the wheels off a car to take measurements, when the car will always have the wheels on when you actually use it?
I think it's something to do with the setup station being half a degree off when compared to a camber gauge.
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:

Because almost no wheels are straight. Try checking your camber with the wheels on, Then turn the spur gear a 1/4 turn and check again. Your camber will most likely change..

The only good way to do it this way is by using setup wheels. Then it kinda is the same thing as a setup station without the accuracy.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Im not sure I follow?

The camber and toe angles will be the same with or without wheels on the car. And if you are using used wheels/tires to set the car up, odds are very high that you will have a whele that is not perfectly true.

I found +/- 1.0 degree variance in camber with a brand new set of Solaris wheels, depending on where I measured on the wheel. Some of the other wheels in the set were better, but 2 of them were off enough that I could not get repeatable trustworthy results without the setup station.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Because almost no wheels are straight. Try checking your camber with the wheels on, Then turn the spur gear a 1/4 turn and check again. Your camber will most likely change..

The only good way to do it this way is by using setup wheels. Then it kinda is the same thing as a setup station without the accuracy.
Very true. New wheels lead to a surprising amount of inaccuracy, used wheels make that problem worse. While the process involves a little more work, the setup station is really the only way to apply consistent camber and toe settings to your chassis.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
I think it's something to do with the setup station being half a degree off when compared to a camber gauge.
Regardless of whether the station is off slightly compared to measuring with, say, setup wheels(ie: wheels on the car that are perfectly true), as long as you use the same method during your testing/racing you will be able to get the results you want.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Regardless of whether the station is off slightly compared to measuring with, say, setup wheels(ie: wheels on the car that are perfectly true), as long as you use the same method during your testing/racing you will be able to get the results you want.
Agreed. Whether or not the actual values are off by a tiny bit, your reference points (in this case, your measurements) have to be consistent.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
Tech Elite

I remember one time at the track one of the locals came by and said that he doesn't need one of those things, he can do it by eyeing the wheel. When he brought his car over to show how good he is was when he got a shock. One wheel had 2 and the other three had between -2.5 to -6 all set by eyeing with a coke can and used wheels. His driving somehow improved after we set him up, imagine that!
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote