Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad? >

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
Its ok dude, everyone forgets to take their medicine every now and then

Quote of the day!!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From what I can understand if you run a set of F104 tires on the back end of a F103 this is all you need to do to make the F103 narrow at the rear.

So how much of an advantage is there in running a F103 front end over the F104 front end? or does narrowing the rear alone make the F103 lose enough mechanical grip to make it even to the F104?

So my question is would be running a control rubber F104 tires be the answer to evening out the playing field between all F1 chassis?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
It's pretty obvious that you guys want F1 to be a tamiya only affair , and that's not cool with me ! The fgx barely came out , and you already want it to take tamiya wheels, and bodies. I don't care about what you think looks good, as long as it's an F1. Stop forcing tamiya down our throats ! Let all the manufacturers participate, even Nikkos ! You guys attitudes towards other brands are making people hate tamiya! I, for one, love tamiya shocks, but I don't try to stop people from running other brands of shocks! F1 rules should cover everybody, not just TAMIYA !!!! Don't hate pan cars because they are faster than your F104, make a class for them only!!!!! Problem Solved.....
Well it seems pretty obvious that you are against tamiya. It is really quite simple, all people are saying is that f1 should abide by certain standards, those standards are scale realism, simple and plain, no one on here is saying that you shouldn't run a 103 vs a 104 vs fgx1 vs hpi etc etc, all of these cars take on a scale appearance and that is what the class standard should be, having a corally or an associated 10r5 with a body stuck on it does not fit the class, if you want to run a car like that pick the wgt class and have at it for all of the speed and performance. Also if your track wants to run those type of cars in the f1 class, so be it, but you should always know that if there were any type of big events that those cars would be illegal, and I can tell you this that if you allow such open rules as that at your local track you will see the class die.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesHealey
From what I can understand if you run a set of F104 tires on the back end of a F103 this is all you need to do to make the F103 narrow at the rear.

So how much of an advantage is there in running a F103 front end over the F104 front end? or does narrowing the rear alone make the F103 lose enough mechanical grip to make it even to the F104?

So my question is would be running a control rubber F104 tires be the answer to evening out the playing field between all F1 chassis?
All the track width adjustment in the front is the arms,
103 rear wheels have more offset to bump the track out , but the rim is also wider, so its a double whammy. But that would be favoring Tamiya, so thats out of the question
Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by mrod
Well it seems pretty obvious that you are against tamiya. It is really quite simple, all people are saying is that f1 should abide by certain standards, those standards are scale realism, simple and plain, no one on here is saying that you shouldn't run a 103 vs a 104 vs fgx1 vs hpi etc etc, all of these cars take on a scale appearance and that is what the class standard should be, having a corally or an associated 10r5 with a body stuck on it does not fit the class, if you want to run a car like that pick the wgt class and have at it for all of the speed and performance. Also if your track wants to run those type of cars in the f1 class, so be it, but you should always know that if there were any type of big events that those cars would be illegal, and I can tell you this that if you allow such open rules as that at your local track you will see the class die.

I don't think that you should rule the Corally and 10r5 out. What's the difference between people running WGT wheels and people truing their foams down on their F103/104/109 so much to get their cars closer to the ground, make their gear ratios better? They look further from scale then the WGT wheel'd cars. You would have to have certain size tyres if that was the case...
I say as long as it looks like a F1 let them race! Have fun and enjoy the class, don't get hooked up on the small details.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

With rubber tires that doesn't happen...and many would argue they don't look like an F1.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FST4RD
I don't think that you should rule the Corally and 10r5 out. What's the difference between people running WGT wheels and people truing their foams down on their F103/104/109 so much to get their cars closer to the ground, make their gear ratios better? They look further from scale then the WGT wheel'd cars. You would have to have certain size tyres if that was the case...
I say as long as it looks like a F1 let them race! Have fun and enjoy the class, don't get hooked up on the small details.
The difference is that it doesn't look like a real f1 car, you cant tell me that a 10r5 with the width on the front and rear even remotly looks like a real f1 car.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1. F1 will never be the shortcourse of on-road, because you can't bash with an F1 car or hand the control over to a 7 year old without worrying about what will happen to the car.

2. Narrow width cars only, 2wd, and rubber tire only. Keep it simple.

3. Bertrandsv: Stop posting on www.rctech.net, please.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FST4RD
Leave the World GT cars in the World GT class
I for the life of me can't figure out why you would want to convert a pan car into an F1 car. Are there not enough F1 chassis on the market to choose from?
The reason for running rubber is about 4 or 5 fold, the biggest reason is not having to police a minimum tire diameter, not to mention that as soon as you allow foam the cost goes through the roof, both in tire wear and having to keep up with the Jones' when someone finds a better compound to run
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So, back to our regularly scheduled program…

In this thread I see about 6 different track represented with some drivers interested in F1, and probably another 10 tracks represented by lurkers just thinking how great it would be if they had an F1 class. I think the best path to get the class running at any track is to simply get the F1s out on the track and run them. Don’t get too hung up on what rules to run by at first as that will work itself out in the end. Adding a governing body and electing a Grand Poobah is a whole extra set of troubles that could distract from what works best at a local level. Personally, I like the idea of running rubber tires and 21.5/silver can any width open wheel car to start out with. If enough people join in, make two classes for realistic cars (narrow) and vintage (191mm or wider). Then bump it up a level and try the UF1 format with pit stops.

Who has raced F1s lately? We just finished up an UF1 series with 52 participants over 8 venues. It all adds up to something like 1000+ miles of racing altogether not counting practice or qualifying.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

You are a wise man 240Z!!!
As far as I could tell no one was trying to elect a Grand Poobah, but more establishing point contacts to get some concurrence on the rules.
You guys really hit the mark with the UF1 series, it has needed to happen since the FORCE series went away, congrats on your success
Originally Posted by 240Z
So, back to our regularly scheduled program…

In this thread I see about 6 different track represented with some drivers interested in F1, and probably another 10 tracks represented by lurkers just thinking how great it would be if they had an F1 class. I think the best path to get the class running at any track is to simply get the F1s out on the track and run them. Don’t get too hung up on what rules to run by at first as that will work itself out in the end. Adding a governing body and electing a Grand Poobah is a whole extra set of troubles that could distract from what works best at a local level. Personally, I like the idea of running rubber tires and 21.5/silver can any width open wheel car to start out with. If enough people join in, make two classes for realistic cars (narrow) and vintage (191mm or wider). Then bump it up a level and try the UF1 format with pit stops.

Who has raced F1s lately? We just finished up an UF1 series with 52 participants over 8 venues. It all adds up to something like 1000+ miles of racing altogether not counting practice or qualifying.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I can remember when the Losi Strike came out as one of the first competitors for the Slash. It was too long by a few millimeters and everyone was up in arms that it would destroy the class. Well, it wasn't the Strike that did in the "Stock Slash" class. It was the urge to go faster and win, fueled by conversions and aftermarket parts and bling bling out the ying yang. I've seen a few wallet emptying Slashes, and you know what, it was still a Slash.

I think it was said simply earlier in the thread a few dozen times, simple rules and ENFORCE THEM, then race em all.

1. 21.5 or silver can.
2. A specific C Rating for the battery.
3A. A no timing ESC on an international list for brushless (F1 is international after all).
3B. A listed ESC for brushed motors.
4. Tires that can be tech inspected easily.
5. A maximum size box with the internal dimensions the car must fit into while sitting on a ride height gauge with tires touching the ground for tech.
6. A scale for minimum weight.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No more arguments folks, race what you bring, even if you are seven years old ! If you don't have the numbers, No more discrimination based on age, car brands, dimensions etc... I know I made alot of F103 owners mad by beating them with a Nikko F1 toy, but that's OK.....Imagine how much medication they will need when they lose a seven year old Nikko F1 Racer ! Talent comes at any age, and should be welcomed and not frowned upon ! Don't hate them because they lapped you.....
Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Hi All ! Been catching up on this thread since it appears some common discussion is going on in the 3R FGX thread. Seems like this is the better thread to discuss F1's future.
I'm not new to F1 but it's been years since I was REALLY involved. The F201 was my last TCS ride and I still have 4 of them.
I've been itching to get F1 going in my club and it appears that day has come.
As we're heavily involved with official VTA, my vote would be to move toward a solid nationally accepted set of rules that each club could use as a guideline and modify slightly if necessary BUT with the understanding that any sanctioned event would be to national rules. Clearly it works for VTA.
Since I plan on promoting F1 as much as I do VTA and USGT, I'd like to offer our support for UF1. It seems Charles is on target with UF1 and will ,by default, become the accepted standard for the rules. So lead us oh benevolent one !! I'll be glad to get in the discussion with reps from other locales to help get things stabilized.
One last note...BP Shadow....your work is amazing and just looking at your site got me worked up about F1 again.
And Charles....those shirts are a stroke of marketing genious !!! It may not be PC in this day and age but beautiful women and F1 just go together.
Whether F1 is the "next short course" program or not doesn't matter.....It's time for a strong push in F1. Thanks for the efforts so far !!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
No more arguments folks, race what you bring, even if you are seven years old ! If you don't have the numbers, No more discrimination based on age, car brands, dimensions etc... I know I made alot of F103 owners mad by beating them with a Nikko F1 toy, but that's OK.....Imagine how much medication they will need when they lose a seven year old Nikko F1 Racer ! Talent comes at any age, and should be welcomed and not frowned upon ! Don't hate them because they lapped you.....
Cherry picking the novice class again huh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.