Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new to on road

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default new to on road

Hello everyone I'm switching from nitro offoroad 1/8 th scale racing and coming to on road...its alll new to me and would like to pointers on what speed control to buy and lipos to buy....all help will be appreciated.....
Old 08-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mwitham87
Hello everyone I'm switching from nitro offoroad 1/8 th scale racing and coming to on road...its alll new to me and would like to pointers on what speed control to buy and lipos to buy....all help will be appreciated.....
Oh No.... you just "opened-a-can-of-worms" with this question ....

First it really depends on what class you are running, and how much you can afford.

My Opinion: XRay Chassis, Tekin ESC, Motor (depends on class),
Batteries... the best you can afford (put your real money in what propells your car, the batteries).
Old 08-30-2011, 06:20 AM
Tech Initiate

That's what I figured........its all new to me I wanna run 17.5 and mod but ill run 17.5 until I feel comfortable with it enough to go faster. What batteries do you recommend?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Batteries, I use: EPIC/Trinity, Orion, Max Amps, Thunder Power.
Some folks are going to argue that the cheaper ones (i.e. Gens Ace) are just as good.
If you use a good charger, and balance every time, I have EPICs that I have been running for 2 years, and they are still running Very Strong (I know because I graph my batteries).
Old 08-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Tech Initiate

I was sponsored by caster racing and a lot of the guys were using speed Passion stuff is that any good
Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 AM
Tech Addict

I was sponsored by caster racing and a lot of the guys were using speed Passion stuff is that any good
A lot of guys around here run Speed Passion also. They seem happy with it. I have run a couple of their products. It is like "anything" .... you get what you pay for. If you buy the Cheapest Product..... you get the Cheapest Product. If you buy higher end, you will get better quality.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok now with the 17.5 class what size lipo should I use and even for a mod motor
Old 08-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Tech Addict

Ok now with the 17.5 class what size lipo should I use and even for a mod motor
Basically, the highest Mah battery you can afford. Check out the fast guys where you are racing and see what they are running, and equal it, or if you can go higher, go higher. The higher the Mah on a battery the stronger that battery will be at the end of a 6-8 minute race. However, remember, certain classes (like VTA) have battery limits, so keep that in mind also.

And for 17.5 or Mod, you want a battery with a decent C-rating, like 40+, again, higher the better.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Regional Moderator

5000 mAh 40C is the minimum I'd consider. Since you're new to on-road, 17.5 is plenty fast for a beginner. On-road and off-road are totally different. In off-road, you don't get to use all of the power due to lack of traction. In on-road, you'll use every bit of power.

I wouldn't worry about modified until you've had sufficient experience in 17.5.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Also, If you want some real advice from a "professional" .... go to the
Ask Paul Lemieux, Rc America/Thunderpower Thread....

Paul is not only one of the Fastest guys on the PLANET... but
A outstanding individual who is incredibly helpful.
I know him personally, he has helped me a lot.
Don't be afraid to ask him any question.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you again for all the help........I've watched him before and he is super fast I wanna find a chassis used first but I found a shumacher MI1 new pretty cheap that said it was good for beginners like myself ....but I want to still be competative.....if I'm making any sense
Old 08-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Regional Moderator

Thank you again for all the help........I've watched him before and he is super fast I wanna find a chassis used first but I found a shumacher MI1 new pretty cheap that said it was good for beginners like myself ....but I want to still be competative.....if I'm making any sense
I'd visit the track you plan on racing at and see what chassis is popular. If nobody else is running the Schumacher, you'll find it tough getting setup help, and maybe parts. If you run what the majority are running, you'll be better off.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Not bad..not bad at all. I've read alot of threads like this and some of the outright garbage people give for advice is just embarassing.
This one is actually pretty darned good. Nicely done guy's !
You're on the right track here. Class choice first, then buy what's required by class rules and by your budget.
I used to agree that it was best to get what is best supported locally. I no longer do. With the internet the way it is, get whatever you decide on as long as support ,whether local or online, is good. Schumacher is a perfect example. A Main Hobbies and Stormer Hobbies are excellent for online purchases and Schumacher online info is fantastic. I gave up my Team Magic cars for this reason. Even Tamiya info isn't always the easiest to find.
The MI1 is a great car but there are even better ones available on the used market that might take you further depending on your needs. If you were going VTA, I'd suggest the MI1 all day long. For 17.5 with it's variety of different rules, I'd say try to find a used competition chassis like the TC5 or 6, the Tamiya 417, or best yet, the Schumacher MI4LP . Yeah...I'm biased of course. But there are many great cars that might be a better choice.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks a lot......yeah the mI1 I saw I liked the price but im definetly not racing VTA so im gonna need all the options (assuming). I saw where I could get a TC5 brand new from associated for the same price. But like Ive said this is all a shot in the dark for me.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Not bad..not bad at all. I've read alot of threads like this and some of the outright garbage people give for advice is just embarassing.
This one is actually pretty darned good. Nicely done guy's !
You're on the right track here. Class choice first, then buy what's required by class rules and by your budget.
I used to agree that it was best to get what is best supported locally. I no longer do. With the internet the way it is, get whatever you decide on as long as support ,whether local or online, is good. Schumacher is a perfect example. A Main Hobbies and Stormer Hobbies are excellent for online purchases and Schumacher online info is fantastic. I gave up my Team Magic cars for this reason. Even Tamiya info isn't always the easiest to find.
The MI1 is a great car but there are even better ones available on the used market that might take you further depending on your needs. If you were going VTA, I'd suggest the MI1 all day long. For 17.5 with it's variety of different rules, I'd say try to find a used competition chassis like the TC5 or 6, the Tamiya 417, or best yet, the Schumacher MI4LP . Yeah...I'm biased of course. But there are many great cars that might be a better choice.
Thank You... I will take that as a "Bravo-Zulu" for me n' CarbonJoe.... LOL,
I don't get them very often.... LOL..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.