Thoughts on the 2004 Worlds and Media Exclusivity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on the 2004 Worlds and Media Exclusivity

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info. Like I said, he's probably a stand up guy and based on what you're saying, he is. Just saying that it had the potential to "look bad" given the outcome. I guess thanks are in order for him.

Do you have any information if there was any attempt to deny the results to the RC Tech guys or anyone else? Everyone ended up with the results in some way or another, so the plan didn't work out in the end, but I'm still curious. The results of any race are public domain as I see it. If anyone tries to sell or buy that, it will be a sign that it's become more about the money than the racer. I don't like it when my interest in my hobby becomes a commodity that someone would buy and sell. That's what happens if something like this becomes a reality. Hand out the results to anyone that wants them. Leave it up to them as to how, when and what they want to do with the info.

Last edited by Pozer; 10-31-2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:26 PM
Tech Addict

The RC Tech guys were told that they couldn't have the results. I was told that I couldn't have the results. Nobody got the results. None of the results were posted on RC Driver. None of them were posted anywhere, until I got the corrected version from Jarrod, and posted it an hour or so ago.

There may be a lot of other things going on, which I know nothing about, but I do know that NOBODY got the computer results yesterday, and as far as I know, nobody got them today until Jarrod sent out the emails.

If it was me, and I had taken the results home with me, and not given them out to anyone until I had corrected them, would I then be getting yelled at too? .....and "when the guy in charge of the results is also covering the race for the mag" sounds like a "conflict of interest", that would only be true if the results were POSTED on the magazine's website. Right? Jarrod didn't do any posting anywhere - he went to sleep.

Pozer is correct - the race organizers were compelled to withhold information. That apparently came right from IFMAR, who did not want incorrect results handed out. With paper copies, all the corrections were already made. With the computer, someone had to go in and do the work FIRST.

There may (or may not) be all kinds of other issues here, but the computer data problem is not what it's being made out to be. I rode back to Ft. Lauderdale with Jarrod after the race - I knew then what he was going to do with the results, and why I couldn't have a computer copy. .....and even if I had somehow gotten a computer copy, what would I do with it? It was incorrect at that time.
Old 10-31-2004, 02:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by mikemyers
Pozer is correct - the race organizers were compelled to withhold information. That apparently came right from IFMAR, who did not want incorrect results handed out.
Mike, I've followed your work for a while and find you to be a straight shooter, so I trust that you're calling it the best you can. I guess the question that I still have is, were the results ever denied for the reasons mentioned by futureal?
Old 10-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

take the snowbirds for example: it's the trinity car action snowbirds. but every year magazines like extreme and rc car etc etc do a way better job of race coverage and photos. if car action was the only means of event coverage we would all be in trouble!

BUT full throttle and rc driver did agree to exlusive rights and i'm sure someone got paid for the rights to cover the worlds. so you have to respect that in the end i guess? take this as a learning expierence and move on..next time jorge wants your help charge him!
Old 10-31-2004, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

To the best of my knowledge, no.

Like I said, there might have been other things involved, which I know nothing about, but I *never* heard at the track, or from Jarrod, or from anyone else that there was any kind of "exclusive" agreement as to the race results.

I really think it's all a big misunderstanding.

As to where photographers could be, or where video could be filmed from, or who got free hamburgers, I know nothing about any of this. The *only* thing I'm commenting on, is the computer version of the race results. As I see it, this is nothing new. I never got the race results in computer format from Brazil until a day or so after the event. Some days in Cincinnati the results weren't available until the wee hours of the morning. Stuff happens.

RC Driver may very well have some kind of exclusive deal with the track about some things, and there may be lots more going on, but as far as the race results, I'm certain I would have known this long before now, if there was anything going on. I know it's incredibly frustrating to not have the computer files right after the event, but as far as I know, ALL the data was available to anyone right at the track (in printed format), and ALL the data has now been released to the world at the same time.

If the topic of this discussion item is really just the computer data, I think we owe RC Driver an apology. That was just one topic though, and there were other issues discussed at the beginning of this discussion. Those topics I don't want to comment on, as even if they were correct, and if RC Driver were given an air conditioned trailer with free food, drinks, and cold showers, that's between them and the race organizers. If you want a banner up on the driver's stand, you chip in as a sponsor. If you want better access to some things, ditto. But the race results have always been (and hopefully will always be) available to all members of the press.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:09 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

the airconditioned trailer is required by IFMAR, it is in the rules, part of hosting a world event, and if you have the dough to by AC space good for you I think that is realy off topic.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

actually, ROAR is an IFMAR bloc - ROAR was not the governing body. IFMAR is.....

This is an IFMAR event of which ROAR has no governing abilities...

regardless, yes, I will check into this - as Mike stated, it appears to be a misunderstanding.

Old 10-31-2004, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

oh, of course I won't give examples... as I stated, its not ROAR's place to mandate business.

Yes, RC Driver is owed an apology... if this is simply a matter of free food and not getting results when the reporter wanted it... c'mon guys.... let the racing continue.....
Old 10-31-2004, 03:22 PM
Suspended

Thanks Dawn.

And yes, I think RC Driver does deserve an apology. The media asking for results were informed that a digital version was not in existence, other publications accepted printouts we had available. I busted my butt at this event and feel real terrible that the misunderstandings happened. To be honest, I knew it would happen the second day of 12th scale. most media that was there all week understood, we had problems with the media that showed up for TC only.

I have already discussed this situation with Shane and beleive it has been worked out and it is a simple misunderstanding blown out of proportion. It's a worlds event and people get excited. But if the results aren't valid, how bad would we all look if the wrong information got into the right hands?
Old 10-31-2004, 03:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by mikemyers
Excuse me, but why are you all assuming that this "exclusive" agreement exists?

The facts are that no results were available to anyone yesterday in digital format.

Jarrod took everything home with him.

Jarrod got the results updated today, and just sent out an email to the people he knew of, that were waiting for them.

The results are now posted on the ROAR website.

The link to the results are now posted on the three BBS systems that I usually look at, and anyone can copy them anywhere else.

I really think that the "exclusive" part of this discussion is a big mis-understanding.

Here is a link to the announcement on RC Driver.
http://www.rcdriver.com/thisjustin.shtml
This is very confusing!!!
Old 10-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Suspended

you know what else is funny??

Every night, I was on rctech, posting results, information, and many many photos.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

with that stated by Jarrod... this thread should be done with or at least this discussion of criticism of Full Throttle Speedway and RC Driver and IFMAR/ROAR, in my opinion....

BTW - please... understand... a WC event is IFMAR. ROAR has representatives racing this event - done by qualifying at a national event... ROAR does not and will not mandate an IFMAR event as we have no place. Simply because the event is held on ROAR territory is by rotation of events, per IFMAR rules.... and not to be considered a ROAR race.

Understand ROAR and this conversation regarding ROAR and other blocs would not have happened.

but, if you choose to discuss the media's involvment at ROAR events.. I'm all ears....
Old 10-31-2004, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
Just out of curiosity, why were post race penalties given instead of a stop and go like was used in the Reedy Race? There are normally one or two IFMAR referees along with the race director to call any infractions instantly, correct?
They were given immediately. In A2 Rheinhard took out Masami but apparently the ref mic malfunctioned so the penalty could not be assessed at the time and was done so after the race. In A3 and incident happened in the last corners of the last lap so there was no time to make a stop and go so penalties were assessed after the race.

For all the bitching and complaining the race was run as well as could have been expected. The simple fact is that this track was not capable of running a race of this caliber. They had neither the manpower, money or experience.

There was an option for the ROAR bloc to pass on the event and have it go to the next in line (Europe) which probably would have been the best decision. Any pro driver, or one who has competed in Worlds around the World, knows that when the event is held in the US it is a joke.

Sounds like it was from a media perspective. Although none of this was an issue to the participants and this is the first I have heard about it.
Old 10-31-2004, 03:39 PM
Suspended

Three things really messed the preparations for the race up:

Hurricane Charley

Hurricane Frances

Hurricane Jeanne.

Alot of people forget that this track was nearly destroyed after those storms blew through the state. Jorge (track owner) was scrambling after the storms to rebuild the driver's stand and get everything back up to speed.

New friends were made, and old ones were lost, but the event still happened.

Hey, at least the weather cooperated! So we got that going for us!
Old 10-31-2004, 03:50 PM
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Derek! You're a genius!

"Sweden was a lesson for everybody yet it probably will never happen again...press given internet access and results live? A place to work? Drinks and treated like they traveled across the globe to cover a race?....I would have neve guessed it would have happened it Sweden. Our sport needs a make-over in a hurry."

This will be a awesome addition to the race you are so graciously helping me prmote next year. I'll supply the ideas mentioned above :-) I just need to find some hot umbrella girls.

FM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.