Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Sakura XI

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tobyzhang
Just took my freshly built Xi DH to a local race today and is encountering some problem with it for our local track (WCRC). it seems the included 5.5 spring is too hard for medium high grip indoor asphalt. Went with tamiya short blue instead. One thing i did notice is this car puts stress on the tires like no other. I've over heated all the tires that would normally work for this track in this temp range except solaris hard. Anyone experienced similar issues?? I also think the 1st gen chassis is probably better for higher traction and more technical tracks we have here. The car rotates hard into turns and can be a handful at times, especially after it over heats the tire half way through the race...
Did you make any roll center adjustments? you may want to lower it some.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Did you make any roll center adjustments? you may want to lower it some.
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into that next time
also, does anyone know if sakura xi with standard M shock tower can clear tamiya low profile bodies?
Old 09-18-2012, 01:25 AM
Tech Addict

Going to run the XI at speed tech grand club race this weekend. Did some testing last saturday with the none dh lower and dh upper deck. The flex level feels just right and both response and stability is good with hybrid trf shocks and tamiya yellow yellow springs. Really like how the car feels right now XD
Old 09-18-2012, 01:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Going to run the XI at speed tech grand club race this weekend. Did some testing last saturday with the none dh lower and dh upper deck. The flex level feels just right and both response and stability is good with hybrid trf shocks and tamiya yellow yellow springs. Really like how the car feels right now XD
What shocks are you using? Full length or mini? Same goes for springs?

I'm still looking for more steering all round with my setup. I'm on hpi silver springs all around.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Good to know, going to test the same set up with XI chassis and DH upper, I have tested it with dh lower and Xi upper its better but still think there is to much flex. The rear inner wheel lifts when conering, could also be a result from using shims under suspention holders to compansate.

Also used the FR and RF xi suspention mounts also make it stiffer, think will first try DH mount with XI lower chassis. Will get some feedback.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wollow86
What shocks are you using? Full length or mini? Same goes for springs?

I'm still looking for more steering all round with my setup. I'm on hpi silver springs all around.
I used full length trf cylinder, all the trf internals, full length tamiya yellows. .25 suspension shims all around. Used kit supplied sway bars and don't know their ratings at all. I'm not sure how hpi springs compare to tamiya springs. Going to change droop from 5.5,5.5 to 6 front 5 rear to add more on power steering and more steering under deceleration.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by charl mac
Good to know, going to test the same set up with XI chassis and DH upper, I have tested it with dh lower and Xi upper its better but still think there is to much flex. The rear inner wheel lifts when conering, could also be a result from using shims under suspention holders to compansate.

Also used the FR and RF xi suspention mounts also make it stiffer, think will first try DH mount with XI lower chassis. Will get some feedback.
I think so far DH upper with XI lower is the ticket for medium to medium high grip conditions like Tamiya America.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Posted this in the S thread.

Something I could share about my efforts with the gear diff.

I have had very good results with the following, use antiware grease on both sides of the gasket, I also use an Dremel and flatten the rounding of the diff housing plastic where the screw turns in I have had some gears touching if the screw does not go in 100% straight.

Then find a 5mmx1.2mm(or1.25) o-ring, I have used 1.2mm in 5 diff now with no problems. The std o-ring are to small for the out drive and need to be stretched over to try and seal in the diff casing, this creates a lot of friction because the o-ring fits so tight over the outdrive. The leak comes from the o-ring spinning in the diff housing and not the sharft inside the o-ring after some use. Thats why some including my self started using 30wt and 40wt in the diff to let it feel looser.

Now my diffs are nice a smooth, loose and not leaky and using 1000wt - 2000wt and think 2000wt feels better than std o-ring with 40wt oil.

Just some feed back hope it helps.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

tested my new Sakura XI DH on weekend - wow - what an awesome car. pretty much box stock - the only changes i have made is 2000 diff oil in the rear and 80000 in the front, xray shocks - thats it. the car is super fast (i had the wrong gearing in it though which made my engine fairly hot). Now i know which way to go it should be on the pace next clubbie.

on a side note, i am looking for a second one for my daughter. they are rare as - does anyone know where i can find one - has to be a DH and i would prefer new.

seems as though the upkeep of the parts and kits from the manufacturer are fairly poor - hope i havent bought the wrong car (in relation to parts)
Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rockin Ron
tested my new Sakura XI DH on weekend - wow - what an awesome car. pretty much box stock - the only changes i have made is 2000 diff oil in the rear and 80000 in the front, xray shocks - thats it. the car is super fast (i had the wrong gearing in it though which made my engine fairly hot). Now i know which way to go it should be on the pace next clubbie.

on a side note, i am looking for a second one for my daughter. they are rare as - does anyone know where i can find one - has to be a DH and i would prefer new.

seems as though the upkeep of the parts and kits from the manufacturer are fairly poor - hope i havent bought the wrong car (in relation to parts)
Glad it worked for you. I took out the A-Main with mine .
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rockin Ron

I got the car through Integy and the price is very good. They also have parts in stock pretty consistently. I still find the DH too soft for my liking. It flexes more than a tub chassis which is pretty extreme. Right now I'm trying to find a good setup for high traction asphalt.... The car traction rolls like no other with the current setup at WCRC. So I should go softer with springs maybe? I think high traction with traction roll problem is what the DH's designed for. Heard DH is designed for TITC which is a really really sticky track.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:27 AM
Tech Elite

Posted this in the S thread.

Something I could share about my efforts with the gear diff.

I have had very good results with the following, use antiware grease on both sides of the gasket, I also use an Dremel and flatten the rounding of the diff housing plastic where the screw turns in I have had some gears touching if the screw does not go in 100% straight.

Then find a 5mmx1.2mm(or1.25) o-ring, I have used 1.2mm in 5 diff now with no problems. The std o-ring are to small for the out drive and need to be stretched over to try and seal in the diff casing, this creates a lot of friction because the o-ring fits so tight over the outdrive. The leak comes from the o-ring spinning in the diff housing and not the sharft inside the o-ring after some use. Thats why some including my self started using 30wt and 40wt in the diff to let it feel looser.

Now my diffs are nice a smooth, loose and not leaky and using 1000wt - 2000wt and think 2000wt feels better than std o-ring with 40wt oil.

Just some feed back hope it helps.
Source for these o-rings?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sosidge
Source for these o-rings?
I went to our local bearing supplier, you could also try any hydrolic repair shops. its worth the trouble to find.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

This thread is not getting a lot of love lately...
Well, I took my XI on a carpet track for the first time on saturday at TQ raceway and it did extremely well. The car is very stable and responsive but do have slight understeer going in. Things I would change is probably swap spool to gear diff front with ride 45 putty to get better low speed turn in, .5 more front droop .5 more negative camber in the back and heavier oil all around. I've had tried tc6 on this track it is a little too twitchy for my liking. Tc6 can probably deliver a slightly faster fastest lap but no where near as consistent. Sakura however is a much smoother car and can deliver much more consistent lap times for me.

Setup:
DH upper deck with XI lower deck, stock toe blocks, DH steering system
tamiya blue/yellow spring, 35 losi oil all around with trf shock and 3hole piston(cold day so it worked but 40 to 50 range is probably better), 6.5/5.0 f/r droop, 1.5 camber all around, kit sway bar, second shortest upper link hole, kit upper link spacers all around, shock layed down 1 hole in the rear, sorex 32 pre mount, speed 6 body.

First day on the track and is already within .4 second off the 17.5 record on this setup (and my driving skill is no where near the record setting guy). I think for carpet, XI upper will help with response and turn in even more. I'm really liking the car right now, it's a shame I don't see a lot of people running it locally.

Now I just need to figure something out for west coast track, So far the car is terrible over there....
Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default gear diffs galore

Something I could share about my efforts with the gear diff..
speaking of, i did a bunch of work on the diffs as well last year. metal gears, flanged ball bearings on the output shafts (inside and out), dual floating o-rings between them, and an additional o-ring at the case seal, added retaining rings, blah, blah ...

in short, i don't need 'em. would like to off 'em in one batch if anyone is interested. two are rears (light fill) and two are fronts (med/heavy fill). you can see the flange of the outer bearing in the second pic. this operation allows them to run quite a bit more true. probably doesn't matter ...

mail me: [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails New Sakura XI-p1080159a.jpg   New Sakura XI-p1080161a.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.