Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Sakura XI

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 03:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi all I am currently running a Sakura Zero which i have had since they were first released in the uk and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the X1 is better and in what ways? I run the spool in front with gear diff in the rear and run 17.5 both on small indoor rubberised carpet (running track) and outdoors on tarmac
Old 11-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Wife let me have my bday present early

Only taken it down the street to a big carpark, but so far, the car feels awesome! Considering a dusty surface, cold tyres, no body shell, and kit setup other then springs... Cant wait till sunday, to see how it goes racing.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Tech Addict

So raced the Sakura for the first time on the weekend. The car blew me away!

Firstly, my battery strap was a FAIL. Came off 6 laps into heat 1. Wasnt expecting much because my driving wasnt the best, didnt really have any good laps. My PB with my last car at this track was 20.290, and I was hoping the new car would crack the 19s, but after my first run was poor I didnt think I would have done it.

I nearly fell over when I read I'd done a 19.5!!

Changed front springs for the 2nd run, it wasn't the right move, the car felt worse, but at least I got a whole heat in. equalled my best performance ever with 15 laps and also dropped the laptime to 19.2... Surprised again!

I changed tyres for heat 3, I'd only just gotten them after heat one and hadn't glued them yet but it was back to my favs for the track Sorex 36r. In my rush I hadnt glued them properly and missed heat 3 because of it.

Got it sorted for the final, only got 3 laps in before the motor moved on me and I had to quickly fix it to get back out there but lost 2mins. For that 3 laps it was hooked up, still needed some work but it loved the sorex rubber on it, wasnt out there long enough and I'd started at the back of the field but looked like it was one of the fastest cars out there, and after fixing the moved motor it looked like it again. I let the leaders through as they came past as I was about to re enter the race then set about chasing down and passing cars left right and center. Last few laps I actually was catching the leader on the track. I cant wait to see the times for that run!

The car also seems to be very gentle on rubber. Anyone else finding that?

Overall I couldn't be happier with the car!

My setup was:

Track: Outdoor asphalt, Large, bumpy
Grip: Med-Low, dusty
Track temp: 44*c
Class: Stock (17.5 Boosted)

Tyres: Sorex 36r Med C inserts
Springs: Tamiya TRF Mini Yellow (14lbs) F + R
Oil: 45wt (schumacher)
Piston: 3 Holes
Front shock mounting position: 3
Rear shock mounting position: 5
Ride hight: F 6mm / R 6.5mm
Rear toe in: 3*
Front toe: 0
Ackerman: Middle hole
Swaybars: Kit
Downstops: 4 front and rear
Gear diff rear: 50wt (Associated shock oil)
Front Spool
Old 11-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

hi there, a short question. What is the difference between the V2 gear diff compared to the older version? Benefits? Thx
Old 12-02-2011, 01:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
Go to atleast 700,00 in the front diff of putty I had the same issue on my tc6 the front diff was not pulling the car out of the corner went to the putty up front and it solved the issue,
Where i could get the 700.000 please?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wollow86
Is anything else required for mounting the T3 bumper?
Asked that ages ago but got no answer. Did it today so if anyone else wants to know, its nothing . Works out of the bag just needs to have a small section cut from the back to accommodate that nut in the centre that fixes the bumper to the chassis.

Hows everyone's XI goin?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wollow86 View Post
Is anything else required for mounting the T3 bumper?

The Tamiya TB03 bumper fits perfectly. Get the larger one
Old 01-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Research.

Hi Sakura members,
I'm planing to buy this kit end of next month since the part support are good here in my region. But i need some help.

My questions are;

1. Is the manual instruction is clear and precise?
2. What are the weak point?
3. Is the car easy to set-up and where can I find good set-up sheet via on-line?
4. what are the spare parts that should have in hand?
5. What are the option part that worth buying?
6. the last but not lease, is this kit made from a high quality material?

Thanks in advance.
Taff
Old 01-08-2012, 02:07 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by xenite400bhp
Hi Sakura members,
I'm planing to buy this kit end of next month since the part support are good here in my region. But i need some help.

My questions are;

1. Is the manual instruction is clear and precise?
2. What are the weak point?
3. Is the car easy to set-up and where can I find good set-up sheet via on-line?
4. what are the spare parts that should have in hand?
5. What are the option part that worth buying?
6. the last but not lease, is this kit made from a high quality material?

Thanks in advance.
Taff
1. Yes. But be careful to note things like ackerman setting, and Swaybar mounting cut positions. Follow 3Racings guide on building a gear diff, they work great and wont leak.

2. Only part I've broken so far is the solid axle outer joint. Not to sure how.

3. Very easy. I found it pretty easy to get a base setup for what I like, still building on that though.

4. See point 3. I have bought standard spares though, arms, hubs, knuckles etc. One of the local tracks is very hard on belts and pulleys, so I do also have spares for these. Good thing is parts are very cheap.

5. I've grabbed the sway bar set so I can tune that, also bought the 2 deg rear toe block, still haven't tried it. Springs too, the kit springs are pretty hard. There are a lot of options here, I'm using trf mini springs, and also have the 6.5 (4), 6.0(4), 5.5(2) and 5.0(4, kit) springs. I do like to spring my cars fairly soft though. Also worth looking at a foam bumper from an xray or tamiya. I'm using a bumper from a T3, its taller then the kit one, but fits fine, you just sorta squash the mount down. It is way better though. Maybe even grab a spare gear diff. I broke the spool last night and the only option was to borrow a gear diff for the front from another sakura owner, and it worked better on the tight track.

6. Yeah I'm very happy with the quality.

Only gripe I have with 3Racing (and its hard to justify it because its part of the reason for the excellent pricing) is because some parts cross over cars, they can be hard to get a hold of if there making anything else. EG, for the FGX it uses the M06/M05 diff, so when they are making cars theres no diffs. And, it seems like they only make one type of kit at once.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wollow86
1. Yes. But be careful to note things like ackerman setting, and Swaybar mounting cut positions. Follow 3Racings guide on building a gear diff, they work great and wont leak.

2. Only part I've broken so far is the solid axle outer joint. Not to sure how.

3. Very easy. I found it pretty easy to get a base setup for what I like, still building on that though.

4. See point 3. I have bought standard spares though, arms, hubs, knuckles etc. One of the local tracks is very hard on belts and pulleys, so I do also have spares for these. Good thing is parts are very cheap.

5. I've grabbed the sway bar set so I can tune that, also bought the 2 deg rear toe block, still haven't tried it. Springs too, the kit springs are pretty hard. There are a lot of options here, I'm using trf mini springs, and also have the 6.5 (4), 6.0(4), 5.5(2) and 5.0(4, kit) springs. I do like to spring my cars fairly soft though. Also worth looking at a foam bumper from an xray or tamiya. I'm using a bumper from a T3, its taller then the kit one, but fits fine, you just sorta squash the mount down. It is way better though. Maybe even grab a spare gear diff. I broke the spool last night and the only option was to borrow a gear diff for the front from another sakura owner, and it worked better on the tight track.

6. Yeah I'm very happy with the quality.

Only gripe I have with 3Racing (and its hard to justify it because its part of the reason for the excellent pricing) is because some parts cross over cars, they can be hard to get a hold of if there making anything else. EG, for the FGX it uses the M06/M05 diff, so when they are making cars theres no diffs. And, it seems like they only make one type of kit at once.

Thank you very much Wollow86 for the great info..Really appreciate it. =)
Old 01-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Tech Adept

Double post
Old 01-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

i have about 50packs with the car now on carpet, its a very nice car, fast and easy to drive.. still working on the setup (different carpet types..)

the car is really good, it has a good base setup, plenty of rear traction and very neutral handling

downside is that the plastics develop alot of play quite fast, so you have to shim the arms, plus that the plastic is quite brittle, i have broken 1 front arm, one c hub and one steering block and that has been in quite mild crashes, but parts are soo cheap so just buy some spare parts (or dont crash )

things that i recommend to buy with the car:

tamiya servo saver (std is crap, dont center properly)
xray or tamiya foam bumper (std is crap, way to soft)
spring kit
tamiya plastic internals for the dampers (not a must buy, but makes the dampers a little smoother)
gear diff for the front
Old 01-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Bappe, I forgot to mention the servo saver. I used kimbrough, but had to trim the extra plastic on the savers arm to help the travel from the servo. I also trimmed the link running to the steering.

Which also reminds me, I had to use the servo mounts backwards with my savox 1251 low profile. The servo mount with the antenna post normally goes to the rear side, but doing that the servo wires were in the way. So I flipped them. The kit includes a plastic post holder for the antenna tube, I've run that up through one of the upper deck mounting holes I wasn't using.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 AM
Tech Adept

Any latest news on X1? updates, setup, info..issues and tips? or perhaps photos. After comparing price and spec with other brand..i'm starting to like this kit. hope to see this thread alive.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:30 AM
Tech Addict

XI going great.

Radical setup change for a practice day. Finally got all my tuning parts and time to test. Changed front roll bar, springs, shock oil, roll center, played with rear toe too.

Car now generates a lot more steering at high speed.

Also noticed an interesting effect. When trying a -2 RR toe block, the rear would wiggle on corner entry (on power all the way through the corner). I'm guessing it was caused by the less rear traction and more intial turn in from the less toe, but just after the rear would break free the spool pulled everything back into line. Changed back to the -3 RR and no more wiggle.

We now have 2 XI's and a Zero S at our track.

Will have to wait and see how the car goes when the track is clean, and I'm running a new set of tyres.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.