Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor & ESC Temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Motor & ESC Temps

im new to the electric side of Rc, i recently bought a hpi cup racer fitted with the hpi flux brushless system motive esc motor 5700kv
and a hpi plazma 7.4v 4000mah lipo, today was the first time i`ve run it, in the house just drifting around for 5mins or so, when i bought it i was told to keep an eye on the temps so after 5mins the motor was 141f and the esc 156f am i right in thinking this is way to hot for just 5min run time? if so how do i cool it down to get longer run times... thanks for any advise in advance and remember im a newbie
Old 07-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Tech Initiate

is this in the wrong thread? or does nobody have any advise?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

whats you gearing? spur ,pinion?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

mite be reading your post wrong but if your on and off the throttle in a small area and drifting it can heat things up much faster, try a 5 min run out doors see how it goes.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by postie90
im new to the electric side of Rc, i recently bought a hpi cup racer fitted with the hpi flux brushless system motive esc motor 5700kv
and a hpi plazma 7.4v 4000mah lipo, today was the first time i`ve run it, in the house just drifting around for 5mins or so, when i bought it i was told to keep an eye on the temps so after 5mins the motor was 141f and the esc 156f am i right in thinking this is way to hot for just 5min run time? if so how do i cool it down to get longer run times... thanks for any advise in advance and remember im a newbie
Being that you are drifting you constantly on the throttle, naturally heat will build up faster. You can add a fan to your motor and speedcontol to curb the temperature. Also you change the pinion gear to a smaller one by 2 or 3 teeth.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by postie90
If your ESC is hotter than your motor then you are undergeared for you system settings. Apart from that heat is relative to load so you must have some decent grip to generate those temps. As mentioned above try a better cooling system to keep temps done so your gear lasts longer.