LRP/ Reedy BRUSHLESS motor !!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LRP/ Reedy BRUSHLESS motor !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

The real question is whether if the LRP system is ROAR legal? It says it's equivalent to a 9 turn motor but under the ROAR's brushless rules..it says that the allowable mod brushless system should equal to a 10 turn brushed motor? I wonder why LRP didn't make it ROAR legal? Or is it?

G
Old 12-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

That motor looks just like the novak
Old 12-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Post ROAR Legal..

Well if youve noticed in the past . everytime something new comes out thats the first Question that comes up.. I think in time all tracks will have a Brushless class as some of the tracks already run due to the racers buying and running these systems.. I dont see why it wouldnt be legalized even in major events .
Old 12-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by loosenut
under the ROAR's brushless rules..i

G
I'm sure you've heard the expression : rules are meant to be broken
but in this case it can easily be rewritten, even before it comes into effect. 1 turn less is no big deal IMHO.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Tech Adept

[[QUOTE]The real question is whether if the LRP system is ROAR legal? It says it's equivalent to a 9 turn motor but under the ROAR's brushless rules..it says that the allowable mod brushless system should equal to a 10 turn brushed motor? I wonder why LRP didn't make it ROAR legal? Or is it?[/QUOTE

i think it would be very hard to put make judgement on what 10 turn, are we talking 10x1,10x2,10x3.what brand (ready,orion,trinity)as their all a little different. i think the difference between all these variables and more would make it hard to tell the difference beteen a 10 turn and a 9 turn.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Tech Master

The Novak system puts out 5800rpms and the LRP system puts out 6500rpm so this would make it faster,but thats only due to the 9-10T and the Novak being 11-12T right?
Old 12-04-2004, 12:27 AM
Tech Adept

how does this compare to the hackor brushless? i believe thats the name
Old 12-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Tech Elite

i believe most hacker systems are way faster than any existing sensor based BL.
They are being rated at between 4-8 turns
Old 12-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The problem with the hacker systems is control...or lack there of. A sensored systems knows the position of the rotor at all times. It can roll off the line like a brushed motor. A sensor-less system stutters at startup. This makes getting a good start almost impossible. This is fine in airplanes where Hacker is the very best you can possibly buy but its no good for cars...other than monster trucks...lol!

Brushless motors are sometimes sold by turns like brushed motors but due to construction differences (slotted vs slot-less, Delta vs. Wye winds) it is impossible to predict how a motor will run based on number of turns.

The best way to rave motors is in Kv. This rating describes how many RPM the motor will increase with every additional volt applied to it.

Ex: A 1000Kv motor will turn ~1000rpm on 1v or ~2000rpm on 2v, etc.

This will let you know how powerful a certain motor is to a degree. However higher KV motors aren't always faster. Just like all brushed motors brushless motors have a point where they will get hot and start losing efficiency/power. You can overheat and draw too many amps and this will make you go slower. You can also over rev these motors and blow the center magnet on the shaft (Rotor) apart. Some brushless motors have the center magnet wrapped in Kevlar thread to help with this. Whatever you do NEVER rev a brushless motor to full throttle with no load!!!

We will have limited choices at first with brushless motors. The one available first will not be as powerful at the 7-8 turn motors most Mod driver are used to running. The will be plenty fast and will need no maintenance so that will be their initial draw. Faster motors will come out as soon as everyone is sure the current crop of speed controls will survive with the hotter motors.

Thats the main limitation of brushless motors now...speed controls. There is a lot more going on in a brushless speedo than in what we use now. There are basically 3 complete speed controls in each brushless speedo. The problem is getting them small to fit in our cars while still building in the ability to survive running a 6500Kv+ motor.

Brushless is certainly the future but there is a lot of stuff we need to unlearn and a lot of stuff to learn in order to go fast.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The problem with the hacker systems is control...or lack there of. A sensored systems knows the position of the rotor at all times. It can roll off the line like a brushed motor. A sensor-less system stutters at startup. This makes getting a good start almost impossible
You haven't driven a non-hacker based system I am guessing. My Schulze-Lehner has not problems getting off the line unless you try to go 1mph comming off the line. If you want full out off the line, it will do it without stuttering. So... unless you are rock crawling, the Schulze U-Force 75 drives just about any more very well.

The real question is whether if the LRP system is ROAR legal? It says it's equivalent to a 9 turn motor but under the ROAR's brushless rules..it says that the allowable mod brushless system should equal to a 10 turn brushed motor? I wonder why LRP didn't make it ROAR legal? Or is it?
The ROAR rules layout the turn limitaions for brushless motors and I believe mod is 7.5 turns. In my opinion, the ROAR rules are dumber than dumb. They specify rules that would make most brushed motors illegal. The rules about stator material and design is dumb (would rule out all current stock motors if the same rules existed for brushed). It is too bad that they taylored the rules to one companies motor and not to a real set of specifications that make sense. Lets hope enough companies want to break the rules and then the rules will most likely change.