Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tamiya tto1ED differential locking help newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default tamiya tto1ED differential locking help newbie

i have searched and searched, but cant find a DIY rear differential lock how to.
I have the tto1ED chassis and want to lock the rear diff.

Any help is appreciated.

Im a newbie to drifting R/C so go easy on me heh
Old 07-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SayShh
i have searched and searched, but cant find a DIY rear differential lock how to.
I have the tto1ED chassis and want to lock the rear diff.

Any help is appreciated.

Im a newbie to drifting R/C so go easy on me heh
open the diff case up where the little bevel gears are, and use some jb weld, get enough in there to lock them up, and reinstall.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Open up the rear of the car, remove the white diff case.

On the casing there are 3 small Philips head screws, remove those and you will see 5 diff bevel gears. Clean them all by soaking them in a good degreaser and dry them off.

Roll some 'blu-tack' or whatever the American equivalent is into a long, thin snake shape. Put the blu-tack on the face of each cog and reassemble the diff. It will be hard to screw down so tighten all three screws a few turns at a time so it closes square.

The blu-tack method lasts me about 8-10 battery packs before it needs redone but unlike the JB weld option its completely reversible if you don't like the set up.

Hope this makes sense.

I locked both my diffs on my TT-01 and it made it twice the drifter.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

If you pull the diffs apart, you can jam an extra spider gear in between two of the existing spiders and lock it up 100%. You do have to shave some material off the inside of the diff housing to get it to fit. It won't have any effect on the strength of the diff or how it works if you pull the gear out.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RogerHewson
If you pull the diffs apart, you can jam an extra spider gear in between two of the existing spiders and lock it up 100%. You do have to shave some material off the inside of the diff housing to get it to fit. It won't have any effect on the strength of the diff or how it works if you pull the gear out.
By doing that you are going to create additional vibrations as the diff will be off balance!

Best is to open up as stated above and clean out diff grease then with all but the top gear installed, pour in some hot glue and assemble quickly. Will stay locked till you decide to take it apart