Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
ECS CAPACITORS will they jam the receiver? >

ECS CAPACITORS will they jam the receiver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ECS CAPACITORS will they jam the receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 01:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default ECS CAPACITORS will they jam the receiver?

as titled
Old 06-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Tech Elite

Not sure what receiver you're using, but the motor and servo can also cause radio interference. If the antenna doesn't have a clear line of sight, it may glitch momentarily, or cause the car to behave erratically.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Location: 2.5 Miles South of Pentagon, Light years from reality
Default capacitors

I'm assuming your discussing capacitors which are attached across the positive and negative leads on the Electronic Speed Control (ESC) used in battery powered vehicles.

- Those caps are installed to capture "electonic noise" or "push back" , or "back EMF" (aka sparks) created by the motor operation, before it gets into the rest of the electical system (ESC,servo etc). In this mode they help prevent stray electricity/signals from entering the system and thus cut down on what you are calling "jamming". Think of them as small surge protectors.

- Secondarily, the caps can help the ESC run a little cooler by dissapating those "sparks" before they get into the ESC and generate heat.

- The energy captured by the cap is stored in the cap until the ESC gets its next "full power" command. Then that small amount of captured power flows to the motor along with the electrical power drawn from the battery.

-With or without ESC caps, it is still always a good idea to install your receiver and its antennae as far as practically possible from the ESC.

Rod
Old 06-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have seen a spektrum receiver modded with a cap placed inside the case of the receiver and soldered in. Thus removing the need for an external plug in cap. It was reported to have worked well, but I wasnt the one doing the testing. I use a plug in Novak capacitor on my spektrum receiver because my Savox sucks the power out of it and it freezes for a moment. The Cap cleans that up pretty good.