Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why not a national points system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Interesting discussion.

o8ital, I know what you're saying, I don't get to race often due to work, but I think there's a solution to this that was suggested earlier as well: #points scored/events entered to give a "scoring weight".

For example: Joe Runsalot competes in 100 events for the year, and breaks or finishes last almost every time so his points score would be something like: 500.03 [that's 500 points earned, 3 points average per event].

Counter example: Ken Cantrace competes in 10 events for the year, and is top 3 in the A-main every time, so his points score would be something like: 225.23 [225 points earned, 23 point average per event].

So, by pure points ranking, Joe outranks Ken, but when it comes time for a Regional or National event, maybe there's a weight cap of 15, where, sorry Joe, we know you race everything, but Ken averages better, so he gets the invite? Or even the option to enter the event is offered first to the guys ranked higher in "point weight" and trickles down the list until the field is full, regardless of point weight, where Ken would have a chance to enter before Joe?

Interesting idea, and, of course, still some bugs to work out. I have programming experience, but I doubt ROAR could pay me enough for me to leave my current job. Which, unfortunately, it would take unless a member volunteered time to get this rolling; or ROAR contracted a software company to get a system in place that could then be administrated by just about anyone.

Regardless of the method, it won't likely be cheap. I think it's necessary, but again, not cheap.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I think the idea is like if Mario Andretti comes out to race the Daytona 500 and beats everybody down, but only races that race, he should not be considered for the overal nascar title. If you race once a year, and have a good day, why should you be ranked #1? It's all about active racers and encouraging participation locally
I get that and agree with everything you said. But... it doesn't make the points system useful for grouping people of like ability.

Harry, that makes a lot of sense! Average points would go a long way to helping solve the sort by ability problem.

As for cost, would be nice if MyLaps (AMB) stepped up to the plate to develop something that would be easy to use. We already give that company a lot of money as an industry.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think what has been discussed in the Festivus discussion is having regional and national points and having different point multipliers for the differing levels of event. Using regional points to determine national qualifiers would of course require limiting it to top 5 per class per region (since otherwise you end up with about 1000 racers at nationals and you'd have to have a massive venue to accommodate that many racers) but anything to bring a newer level of importance to local and regional racing would and should be encouraged.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Not an idea that's new, but it would be refreshing. I just hope people don't end up joining for the wrong reasons.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
Not an idea that's new, but it would be refreshing. I just hope people don't end up joining for the wrong reasons.
Name some wrong reasons. Right now attendance across the board needs all reasons available - right or wrong.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know what a points system would do? We wouldn't have so many electric classes If people really felt like being ranked based on skill and talent.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

1. Promote local racing: With this system, local racing now becomes important. Instead of just being a club race to warm up for the next big race, continual participation rewards the racer.

2. Lets the racer know where they stand: Instead of just "I made the c at yadda yadda race", you can have an idea of where you are based on more than just one weekend's performance. No, this is probably not perfect as laid out here, but it definitely is a starting point.

3. Value for your ROAR membership: the #1 question everybody asks is "What do I get for my money with ROAR?" This could be it. This would be a boon for tracks and racers. If you are a ROAR track, you are now offering something beyond the non-affiliated tracks. If you are a racer, you want to participate at a ROAR track and now have a reason to join ROAR.

Imagine also being able to track your progress as a racer. Last year you were
#435, this year you are #227, next year you break the top 100. It also would be nice for sponsors to see the results: "we had 50 of the top 100 racers in 13.5 lawnmower class" or whatever.

All of this could be tied into larger races (triple points at the regional, etc.). The main thing is instituting something to help participation.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Tech Champion

BTW, electric is not nitro. There really does need to be more than 1 class.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

robk is right. Imagine being able to say that you finished #15 in points in the country in 17.5 TC (or World GT or what have you). I think that there ought to be three classes for TC (21.5, 17.5, open), three for 12th (same as TC) and this may get me shouted down but I think two for 10th pan (shout out to my boys in both the 10th pan car discussions). 17.5 LMP (235) and 13.5 WGT. (or the other way around whichever works). Rookies (once they've cut their teeth) can move up into whichever chassis they feel best prepared for.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

The hardest part will be getting everyone on the same page. After all, a driver no longer is racing against the guys in his main, but guys all across the country racing in the same class. Cutting the track/cheating/etc. to finish 7th instead of 9th in a single race normally would not matter and the parties directly involved would probably not care. But something like this would now affect a lot of other drivers.

I think the concept is awesome but it will take a lot of cooperation to make it work.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart

I think the concept is awesome but it will take a lot of cooperation to make it work.
What is there to lose at this point?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Really to combat that is going to require increased vigilance on the part of the local tracks. Im sure tracks have rules and penalties in place to address things like that (although if not ROAR could work with them to draft something). If somebody is so desperate that they cut track to gain a couple points regionally or nationally, then they are getting WAY too into this hobby.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

What is there to lose at this point?
There is nothing to lose. But I think it needs to start small like with a couple of tracks for a couple of classes and move forward from there.

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Really to combat that is going to require increased vigilance on the part of the local tracks. Im sure tracks have rules and penalties in place to address things like that (although if not ROAR could work with them to draft something). If somebody is so desperate that they cut track to gain a couple points regionally or nationally, then they are getting WAY too into this hobby.
I don't think they will do it for a couple of points or necessarily do it intentionally. But they do it for nothing now. For this to work will require a more professional attitude on everyone's part.

I probably look at this more seriously than most But I look at is as drivers around the country racing one another. If a guy beat me in my main because he jumped the start, cut the track, ran non-spec tires, etc, I (and most any racer) would not be real happy about it. In a points series, I would be just as unhappy if a guy racing at another track gained points on me because of the same infractions during his main event.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Tech Champion

We're probably talking into the air anyway. Nothing will ever come of this.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Nothing will ever come of this.
a close friend once said to me, "wewe ni mgonjwa."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.