Community
Wiki Posts
Search

locking screws

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Default locking screws

recently i ditched the plastic t1r chassis for an extreme rc blue carbon fiber chassis on my t1r. i didnt overtighten the screws but every countersunk screw that holds the chassis & upper deck to the bulkheads have basically overtightened themselves. and i havent even run the car with it yet. i know marshall had this problem before. anyone else? and why does this happen? it never happened with the plastic chassis. and these are the same screws ive been using. i have already stripped a couple so i gotta dremel them now. but how do i keep this from happenenig again? im using stock screws too not the kind that ive heard that weld toaluminum. unless the stock ones are those kind but again, thats never happened before. help.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Try heating up the aluminum bulkheads with a hairdryer. The aluminum will absorb more heat than the screw and should loosen up. I tightened up all of the screws once in my Mi2 and had the same prblem once. The dryer solved the problem for me. I pit a little oil on the screws now when I assemble it.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

wait. wont heating cause it to expand tightening?
Old 02-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

greencactus3

Read what Speedie has written. The bulk head will expand before the screws when you heat the bulk head. Adding a little oil to each scew will prevent the problem in the future
Old 02-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

yea. so when the bulkheads heat and expand, dont the holes grow smaller? oh well im gonna try it anyways. just askign.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Tech Master

The holes should grow bigger in the bulkheads. It all expands out from the center of the mass. I know what your thinking but it doesnt expand that way, it would have to cool and contract to do that. So heating has to make it go the other way.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

oh ok kool ugh damn schoolwork. havent had ANY time to try it yet. and im guessing its like 2min of work too. urghgh