R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Boost is Dead (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/505127-boost-dead.html)

macdude 05-03-2011 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by terry.sc (Post 9056185)
As long as the manufacturers after the discussions with ROAR know what is expected by zero timing then all ESCs should be programmed with the exact same timing in them all for blinky mode. If you want to know what the specification is the ROAR specs will be the same as the BRCA use here in the UK. The BRCA publish how they expect a zero timing ESC to operate, see below, and any ESC raced at a BRCA meeting can be taken away for analysis after the meeting to check it meets these specs.

Thanks. This is good to know.

miller tyme 05-03-2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 (Post 9055748)
We had our first national championship race this weekend with stock 0 timing with all the Roar speedos and it was great , no cooked motors , all the same speed (fixed gearing) and the results were great close racing.

Just to keep it relevant to ROAR, what wind motors were used. And how big was the track.

sidecarphil1 05-03-2011 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by miller tyme (Post 9056338)
Just to keep it relevant to ROAR, what wind motors were used. And how big was the track.

Only the speed passion 13.5v3 is allowed and the track was a largeish outdoor 1:8th track

We are not governed by ROAR but we use the ROAR list for speedos

miller tyme 05-03-2011 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 (Post 9056627)
Only the speed passion 13.5v3 is allowed and the track was a largeish outdoor 1:8th track

We are not governed by ROAR but we use the ROAR list for speedos

I only asked for comparison to the US. The general issue is with 17.5 on the smaller, tighter carpet tracks, in this case the boosted is much faster and cooler.
The 13.5 and the openness of the 1/8 track, I would Imagine, do not require the same constant accelerations form tight corners, that is where the Heat is built up and where Boosted really helps.

EAMotorsports 05-03-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by macdude (Post 9056268)
Thanks. This is good to know.

Originally Posted by terry.sc (Post 9056185)
As long as the manufacturers after the discussions with ROAR know what is expected by zero timing then all ESCs should be programmed with the exact same timing in them all for blinky mode. If you want to know what the specification is the ROAR specs will be the same as the BRCA use here in the UK. The BRCA publish how they expect a zero timing ESC to operate, see below, and any ESC raced at a BRCA meeting can be taken away for analysis after the meeting to check it meets these specs.

This is also the Exact same way ROAR techs speedos too using this wave pattern that was put on paper after the Tekin problem early on. It was brought forth by Reto at LRP so there was NO gray area to exploit...it either matches this or its not legal. Pretty simple and I think it is somewhere on the ROAR page but may have been taking down.

EA

RedBullFiXX 05-03-2011 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by SlowerOne (Post 9055863)
Granted, but since people do not want to learn the lessons of history (25 years of running BR motors with 'fixed timing') they are condemned to repeat them. I said that the BL development would end up with a laptop on every pit table, and was told that was rubbish. I expect the same again, but can't resist "I told you so" - you read that here first!!

I predict we will have access to our cars via bluetooth, & mobile phones.
You read it here first :lol:

EAMotorsports 05-03-2011 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX (Post 9058050)
I predict we will have access to our cars via bluetooth, & mobile phones.
You read it here first :lol:

Your too late. There is already a speedo that has Blue tooth technology that you can change settins while you are driving on the track (or your crew can rather). Its already been outlawed in some countries.

EA

DARKSIDE 05-03-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by locked (Post 9026754)
The most popular class at the track I frequent is 17.5 boosted. I've been racing in that class all winter, but around a month ago I decided to set up a second car to race in the 21.5 "VTA/GT2" class, just so I could get some more track time and not have to wait around most of the day for my next heat. I'm thinking about going back to just running 17.5 boosted though because in 21.5 blinky I can drive the entire track at WOT. I can get slightly faster lap times if I let off for a split second on 2 corners. It really is quite boring and just screws up my timing for the faster class, so I think I'll drop it. I can't imagine how painfully dull true 25.5 USVTA must be. It's good for some people to learn how to steer and drive the best lines, but it doesn't even require a precise setup. If you get the ride height close and the car tracking straight, you're pretty much good to go. I've had many people comment on how dialed my 21.5 blinky car looks, but I know the setup on it is garbage, it just doesn't matter very much when you're going that slow.

I've won several 21.5 blinky A-mains, but I feel no sense of accomplishment from it. I'm far more excited when I win a 17.5 super stock B-Main or simply make it to the A-main in that class.

setup & driver is setup & driver....slower cars that are equal...will have a faster driver and better setup somewhere along the line. Somebody cleaned the bearings, somebody didnt...simple...same holds true for faster cars...if your setup/driver is jacked, you are going to fall behimd to the better setup/driver...

FYI...VTA 25.5 isnt slow...its FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!!!:batman:

Originally Posted by nashrcracer (Post 9027188)
actually story at my track I have had about 5 to 7 offroad guys come race onroad 17.5 NB with RDX and 007 cars that have sat on the shelf since the speed control wars the last 2 or 3 years. one guy is running a GTB and the other running a lrp comp TC sphere. they wanted to race but don't what to figure out gearing or what ESC setting work best for which track layouts. And I don't know about you but I know the lrp x12 is the best motor for boost and the duo3 or ballistic are both good for NB so choice is always good. now some of these guys jumped into TC 17.5 NB running competitive laps straight off the back. I have had 4 SPXs 3 black diamonds and 3 tekins in the last 3 year. they are still running a GTB from 4 years ago Non boosted and being in the game. We're talking club racing here. Now I run a lrp comp sphere 007 and it doesn't matter what speed control I use it's all about driver at this point. If I run boosted it's Tekin or nothing else. SSX, black diamond, GM, speed passion all suck to tekin in boosted class. Kudos to tekin for getting it right but still doesn't make sense. And for the people that say give it 2 years and boosted will be the only thing. Um it's been 2 or 3 years since it was ALL non-boosted and we are going back to non-boosted. I think boosted has had it's swing, and it fell off it.

we also gained several TC guys cause of the non boosted crap...its helped our club with entries all winter long, which keeps us and many like it open so we have a place to race and enjoy this hobby/sport....so if its a vote...Im on the NB side

Originally Posted by robk (Post 9027747)
LOL:D

ditto:batman:

RedBullFiXX 05-03-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports (Post 9058197)
Your too late. There is already a speedo that has Blue tooth technology that you can change settins while you are driving on the track (or your crew can rather). Its already been outlawed in some countries.

EA

It was a tongue in cheek comment. ;)

We live in a world where techno-logic development has evolved everyday life.
I just find it humorous that laptops at the races are seen as taking it too far, or too complex. Perhaps for some, but then that's why we have a blinky class :sweat:

locked 05-03-2011 07:54 PM

I'm sorry for dissing usvta, guys. My 21.5 blinky car does have an extremely free moving drivetrain with a decent setup. It just has shocks that I should have rebuilt a month ago, a diff that is less than silky smooth and a few other setup deficiencies that would no doubt become very apparent at higher speeds, but at 21.5 blinky speed it just doesn't seem to matter enough. Car drives great, but it requires almost no throttle control. That is the part that bothers me. I just don't find it difficult enough to maintain a perfect line even with a an imperfect car. Maybe I need a different second class. Some guys really love that kind of racing and I shouldn't knock it, so for that I apologize.

syndr0me 05-03-2011 08:48 PM

Bluetooth ESC's for what, to adjust drag brake? Not much else to change in blinky.

Anyway, I doubt you'd reliably be able to change anything while the cars are moving, our transmitters already stomp all over other 2.4ghz devices. Ever noticed how WiFi is crappy at every track?

CypressMidWest 05-03-2011 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE (Post 9058215)
We also gained several TC guys cause of the non boosted crap...its helped our club with entries all winter long, which keeps us and many like it open so we have a place to race and enjoy this hobby/sport....so if its a vote...Im on the NB side

The problem is, we got the same influx when we went from BR to BL. Why you ask? Because anytime you change technologies like this, there's a learning curve. At first, everyone is in the same area, testing to find what works. What happens is that the fast guys figure it out, and when they do, the less dedicated racers who didn't bother to learn it, quit again. So we dumb it down again, and they come back. Then, as the fast guys figure out the new formula, the gap returns to where it was before, and bang!! The less dedicated go back to dirt. The dedicated will always be faster: Welcome to motorsport.

The problem is that the temporary gains made, are just that temporary. So it never actually helps overall.

We already have slower, technology limited classes available, i.e. VTA. Do the GP2 drivers expect the FIA to neuter F1 to make the GP2 level drivers competitive with Vettel and Hamilton? Hell no, they're expected to get faster to get there. Why should we slow EVERYTHING down when a lower tech, more strictly spec'd class already exists?

CypressMidWest 05-03-2011 09:19 PM

My above posted rant is really aimed at the lack of a consistent LONG-TERM rules base. I really believe that every single time things begin to level out in the On-Road community, the rules are changed.

It's just making Nitro look all the better. Now where can I buy the secret tire sauce they used at the 1/8th Worlds?

sidecarphil1 05-03-2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by miller tyme (Post 9056718)
I only asked for comparison to the US. The general issue is with 17.5 on the smaller, tighter carpet tracks, in this case the boosted is much faster and cooler.
The 13.5 and the openness of the 1/8 track, I would Imagine, do not require the same constant accelerations form tight corners, that is where the Heat is built up and where Boosted really helps.

yeah the motors are worked hard on the longerstraights and the gearing is also hig to gain the speed back ,BUT my motor reached a max of 75 degrees C at the weekend , i do still use a MM dynamic motor cooler before the raceand a heatsink with fan during the race but even with them last year my motor was sometimes in the 90's even as high as 140 degrees C

0 timing for stock is the way forward I believe

EAMotorsports 05-04-2011 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 9058769)
Bluetooth ESC's for what, to adjust drag brake? Not much else to change in blinky.

Anyway, I doubt you'd reliably be able to change anything while the cars are moving, our transmitters already stomp all over other 2.4ghz devices. Ever noticed how WiFi is crappy at every track?

Not sure if its real or a fake BS site. But the Oval guys have already flipped out about it. :lol: http://www.trackshrinker.com/

EA