R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Boost is Dead (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/505127-boost-dead.html)

nf_ekt 04-26-2011 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet (Post 9021749)
Our club has maintained good attendance all season, and blinky classes are the heart of our program:

Stock TC: 17.5/blinky
Stock 1/12th: 13.5/blinky
Scale Spec: Silver can or 25.5/blinky

Those three classes never fail.

In my humble opinion it's the only way to go if onroad attendance is going to stabilize and start to build again.

13.5/blinky 1/12th is a brilliant class and could/should be the universal reference spec for the most ancient and honored discipline in the sport.

If someone wanted to run boosted 17.5 in 12th, would they be allowed to run at your track? What is your opinion of that?

PutAwayWet 04-26-2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by nf_ekt (Post 9021953)
If someone wanted to run boosted 17.5 in 12th, would they be allowed to run at your track? What is your opinion of that?

No.

In general, stick to the spec. We've learned from experience that deviating from the spec only causes problems and invites criticism. The point to spec classes is a common reference. The temptation to "get cars on the track" is understandable. But, it doesn't pay in the long run.

Be consistent, build a class.

Go blinky, stand firm.

nf_ekt 04-26-2011 12:22 PM

I hear you. Personally I'd rather just throw a good motor in, call it a day, just wondering what your opinion was. Sounds like it is working for you guys :tire:.

davidl 04-26-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 9021084)
Here is what I want to know, all the support for blinky seems to be coming from the TC guys. Are there ANY 1/12th racers in favor of this? I mean 17.5 boosted is a pretty good starting point. They are slow enough to get around for the newb, with just enough speed to keep the experienced guy reasonably challenged. But blinky 17.5? Come on, I bet the dustbuster cars would smoke them.

Why can't we have both worlds, blinky for 2s, boosted for 1s?

Sean, go back and look at post #313. Then realize that 17.5 was identified by the motor manufactures to be the stock motor replacing the 27 turn and the idea that they were interested in slowing down the cars so new, unskilled drivers would have a place to get started were they wouldn't be overcome by technology or speed.:nod:

nashrcracer 04-26-2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 9021912)
I can see 13.5 blinky in 1/12th working. It's 17.5 blinky that I don't get. Even on a small track, 17.5 boosted is slow and punchless to me (though barely tolerable). Anything less seems like a waste of time to me. But hey, if a track can get a good crowd for it, have at it. Just doesn't seem like something worth competing for a National title to me.

See I have a problem with your speed issue. Was at Indy a couple weeks ago and was running 17.5 blinky and we were .6 seconds faster per lap then the 17.5 TC blinky with a 96+ foot straight on the track. 10.7 vs 11.3 and I don't see anybody complaining about the 17.5 TC speed on a track that size. So tell me why you think 17.5 blinky 12th scale is slow? The VTA 25.5 guys were turning 13.0 on the track now that was slow. Snowbirds about the same 12.1 and 12.2 for TC and 11.5 and 11.6 for 12th scale 17.5 blinky. Now 13.5 blinky is faster but does it need to be faster to have good competition. Why does everybody have the drag race fast as I can go mentality. Now maybe on an outdoor track with 160' straight does the upping of the blinky classes need to be applied. 13.5 tc and 13.5 12th but that is definitely track size dependent.

skypilot 04-26-2011 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst (Post 9020199)
They would never be 'famous racers' if that was their 'designated' class of choice, they were famous because they were at the pinnacle of their racing, not racing the slowest cars....

watch out coming thru....... damn missed the point again

skypilot 04-26-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet (Post 9021992)
No.

In general, stick to the spec. We've learned from experience that deviating from the spec only causes problems and invites criticism. The point to spec classes is a common reference. The temptation to "get cars on the track" is understandable. But, it doesn't pay in the long run.

Be consistent, build a class.

Go blinky, stand firm.

Why would you bring that up, you know when you talk about me I have to respond.

Yes you got criticized, by me, for allowing one racer to deviate from the rules while standing by and allowing several to criticize a fellow racer from wanting the same privilege. Truth be told there was a forth blink class that died. But we don't want to bring that up, it hurts the point.

Stand firm indeed, until nats comes around then change your program.

turbodog 04-26-2011 02:24 PM

In Florida State Series we currently offer 17.5 boosted, 17.5 un-boosted, and open modified. At the last race we had two show for un-boosted, none for mod. everyone ran 17.5 boosted. yep, ROAR needs to kill boosted.......:flaming:

Magnet Top 04-26-2011 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by nashrcracer (Post 9022241)
See I have a problem with your speed issue. Was at Indy a couple weeks ago and was running 17.5 blinky and we were .6 seconds faster per lap then the 17.5 TC blinky with a 96+ foot straight on the track. 10.7 vs 11.3 and I don't see anybody complaining about the 17.5 TC speed on a track that size. So tell me why you think 17.5 blinky 12th scale is slow? The VTA 25.5 guys were turning 13.0 on the track now that was slow. Snowbirds about the same 12.1 and 12.2 for TC and 11.5 and 11.6 for 12th scale 17.5 blinky. Now 13.5 blinky is faster but does it need to be faster to have good competition. Why does everybody have the drag race fast as I can go mentality. Now maybe on an outdoor track with 160' straight does the upping of the blinky classes need to be applied. 13.5 tc and 13.5 12th but that is definitely track size dependent.

Foam cars are more "stuck" than Touring Cars on rubber tires. I can't speak for everyone but 1/12 1S 17.5 motor w foam tires is almost full throttle the entire track. When lifting from full throttle it is more timing than throttle control. So IMHO although the lap times are faster the skill set is different compared to 17.5 TC. So I think that people are saying they are too slow when they really should be saying they are too "stuck" or "planted" at 17.5 speeds, and therefore boring while others may enjoy the marathon mentality of focus on focusing for 8 minutes, strategy , the chess game. The marathon runner vs the sprinter, two different kinds of racing.

YmeBP 04-26-2011 02:42 PM

I like going fast, seems juvenile yes I know but it's fun for me and that is why I participate in this hobby because it's fun for me.

I personally enjoy the technical challenges getting the gearing, boost, turbo and timing just right not that I don't enjoy the all out speed but the challenge of getting it just right for my driving style is satisfying. If someone else doesn't like it great, but I personally want to (and will find tracks that do) run boost. I don't mind 13.5 10.5 4.5 whatever you want me to run but I'm gonna boost it because I like to watch second gear kick in on my electric car and also because i spent a decent sum of money to acquire that particular feature and I'd like to use it.

At the track i race nitro during the summer we have an "open" class it's fun, reasonably fast and people genuinely enjoy it. Underdogs win and people come out and have a good time we have no spec tire, no spec motor no real rules other than safety (no over charging your packs which to be honest never happens because it's open motor) . We've even toyed with running foams =D:lol::sneaky::eek::nod:, and may actually run open mod 1/10 on foams this year as a separate class. Bigger events we offer the common spec classes for visitors but they end up strapping some heat into their cars and having fun w/ the rest of us by the end of the day! Go figure.

Randy_Pike 04-26-2011 02:46 PM

Clearly more than half the "opinions" here prove the point that there isn't a "one size fits all" class to be had here.

Maybe this is why you can by shoes in so many colors and styles ;)

oXYnary 04-26-2011 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 8990010)
I feel like all "spec" racers suffered the most. We were just fine running 13.5 with TC Spec's and SPX's. Then we all had to buy new ESC's and 17.5's just to go the same speed as 13.5, except now things were way harder to drive, and you needed a netbook and a lot of time to get things right. Remember when it was just 13.5 in the middle hole with 5.0 FDR?

SO we have you to blame? Well at least we can point the finger at someone.

As a racer. Its a HELL of a lot easier to tweak a few settings on a esc profile, then having to go back to the pits and play with gearing every single damn time.

Hell, with the newer esc coming out with bluetooth, you could have done it at trackside.

But nooo, it's too "complicated" for spec racers.. :rolleyes:

flyintrtle 04-26-2011 03:03 PM

There has been quite a few good points & counterpoints on this thread. This past indoor carpet season I ran 17.5 non-boost. Mostly because I didn't want to hit the wall that much faster:lol: We also ran a 17.5 boost class & the entries per class were about even.
This past weekend I was practicing with my cars, 17.5 boost & non boost. When the timing kicked in on the boosted car it sure brought a smile to my face:D
My opinion is this, if you want to run boost, then run it. If you don't want to run boost, then don't do it. If you don't want to run it then please don't try to take it away from those that want to run it!!

InspGadgt 04-26-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Magnet Top (Post 9022562)
Foam cars are more "stuck" than Touring Cars on rubber tires. I can't speak for everyone but 1/12 1S 17.5 motor w foam tires is almost full throttle the entire track. When lifting from full throttle it is more timing than throttle control. So IMHO although the lap times are faster the skill set is different compared to 17.5 TC. So I think that people are saying they are too slow when they really should be saying they are too "stuck" or "planted" at 17.5 speeds, and therefore boring while others may enjoy the marathon mentality of focus on focusing for 8 minutes, strategy , the chess game. The marathon runner vs the sprinter, two different kinds of racing.

That is part of it...but typically their faster lap times are because they are so stuck in the corners that they are much faster through the infield than a TC...but down the straights it can be like watching grass grow.

artwork 04-26-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Magnet Top (Post 9022562)

I am not trying to be a jerk...but is it for for people to drive around the track full pin for 8 minutes? That sounds horrible to me, and yes I have run 17.5 1/12th scale and to be honest I think your description is not that far off, I just wonder why people like it so much.