Wiki Posts
Search

T.M. Tires User Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Kraig
Kevin, bring an extra set with you this weekend. I will have to check them out.

Kraig
KT Hobbies
Roger....Roger
Old 09-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

indeed TM deserves a thread.. Ive been running for tony for about a year now.. all i can say is i love the foams...

I raced all last carpet season, and never chunked a tire, or cracked a rim.. i have never had a full season like this with any other foam tire,... i also like that TM has foams in every compoiund u need for anything from pan cars to buggy's and trucks....

Keep up the great work tony.. oh and did u get my email about nats.. thanks

PS im an oval driver he he
Old 09-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I also forgot to mention... one of my sponsors is a seller of tm tires... he only has oval foams listed on his site,.. but he can get any tires from TM.. so email him and he can hook you up.. they also accept paypal...

http://www.baldwinracing.safeshopper.com/
Old 09-17-2004, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

I'm gonna have to give these a try. What would be equivalent to the Jaco double pink and double pink orange, and purple and double purple?

Last edited by kevinm; 09-17-2004 at 08:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Not sure how long it would take him but we all run at DC Ultratrax in the winter time and that is in PA near Philly. I will poke around and see if there are any others.

Have him get in touch with me.
[email protected]
Old 09-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

are these tyres just foams or dothey do rubber aswell
Old 09-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

they are just foams, unless you want some 1/10 oval capped tires. Tony's tires are great, very, very true. Ive been a proud team member for over a year and a half now.

Matt Olmsted
Old 09-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

I thought I'd throw my 2cents in the pot here. I've known Tony for about 17 years, and I've used his product in 1/12th scale as well as 1/10th pan and Sedan, and I've never had any problem with the product. T.M. produces have been the difference between a win and 2nd place for me many times, both locally and regionally. If there was ever ANY problem, I caused it myself. There, that's my opinion.

Darryl Bingner
Old 09-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

KevinM- To attempt to answer your question (remember this may not be accurate and if not i am sure Tony will clarify)

Different tires belong to different "families or groups" each family has a characteristic that may differ from the others. If my understanding from Tony M. and the excellent article on CRC's website is accurate then you are looking at something like this:

Grp 1 (just made a designation)
White
Gray
Black
Blue
- Less natural rubber content, they don't heat up and get "gummy" as easily as the next group and SEEM to get their traction more from the traction compound in the carpet or track surface.
Due to less heat build up and or getting "gummy" (which is probably more accurate) these compound's traction tend to stay more consistent during the run.
HOWEVER it is important to note that White dot's seem to loose some traction in the late stage of 12th scale modified races due to the untreated portion of the tire (tire traction) getting exposed from the increased wear of its soft durometer and Grp type.

Grp 2 (made this designation up also for explanation purposes)
Pink
Magenta (this is Jaco's double Pink from my understanding)
Purple
-These have more natural rubber in them, seem to get their grip from "heating up" more than from the traction compound on the track (could be wrong on this) and they wear longer than the compounds I placed in "Grp 1". This group will typically gain some traction as the race goes on from "heat build up" and racers seem to definitely notice this with Purples.

Now with the above information take the durometer readings within a given group and add the "traction characteristics" if you will to that and you can have a chart to kind of go by.

I would also highly recommend CRC's tech write up since they know far more than my little 5yrs of racing could tell you and of course Tony M. (the owner of T.M. tires) is also an expert to talk to along with Jack from Jacco and TRC.

Regarding "combo tires" (combination tires) as i call them the idea is to get the majority of the grip characteristic of one tire but with a small amount less. You may hear drivers say "to take the edge off" of a particular tire.
Front Tires like these are:

Plaid- Mostly Purple with an outside edge of Orange
Plaid 2- Mostly Magenta(Dbl Pink) with an outside edge of Orange
Cyan- Mostly Magenta (Dbl Pink) with an outside edge of Purple

Note: if i am not mistaken on TC's you can use these on the Rear also if you wish but due to the different front and rear tire sizes on 12th scales (and i think 10th scale pan cars also) you would only use these on the front. Also note that T.M has been testing Plaid 2's for 12th scale and these may be available soon but i am unsure as of now about their release.

Rear Combo's that T.M. offers in 12th scale are:
G1 - Tony M. would be able to tell you
G2- Tony M. would be able to tell you
G3- I believe these are Whites with an outside strip of Gray

Hope this helps and if Tony M. or the rest of the team (or anyone for that matter) knows more or can correct any info above please feel free, that way we all learn and hopefully get faster. - DA

Last edited by darnold; 09-24-2004 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Tech Rookie

One correction on combo tires
G-1= white with gray outside edge
G-2= gray with black outside edge
G-3= white with black outside edge
G-4= gray-white-gray equal amounts
G-5= White-gray-white equal amounts

As far as plaid-2 & plaid-3 these are still
being tested. and will have more info. later

DB what's happen

www.tm-rc-racingcomponents.com
Old 09-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE]Originally posted by darnold
[B]KevinM- To attempt to answer your question (remember this may not be accurate and if not i am sure Tony will clarify)

Thanks for the info, I will be using them on my touring car.

Last edited by kevinm; 09-18-2004 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

if your gonna be running carpet TC, you want purple rears and purple/orange (plaid) fronts.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ovalnator- Would you say that for Mod TC you would want Magenta Rears and Cyan or Plaid 2 fronts? I think that quite a few of the guys run that combination for mod on-road carpet, but i am unsure.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Ive never run mod TC, im mostly an oval driver. The tire combination I have you was the ticket in stock tc at my local carpet track
Old 09-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Gottcha. Does most of the T.M. Oval racing team run different tires on the left and right sides?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.