R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Where to buy: GP3300 SP2's? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/50388-where-buy-gp3300-sp2s.html)

micros_rock 09-15-2004 08:27 PM

Where to buy: GP3300 SP2's?

Does anyone know of shops that sell the Peak/TO 3300 SP2 cells? The cells are the ones that are 1.190-1.199v. I'm looking to get some new cells. Thanks.

danjoy25 09-15-2004 09:10 PM

Have not heard of the cell. The voltage are to high to be true. Are they 30 amp discharge or 20 like the Integy.

micros_rock 09-15-2004 09:11 PM

They are 30A discharge. They have them at stormerhobbies, but I need somewhere that accepts paypal.

FW-05RR 09-15-2004 09:25 PM

wow does are some damn good specs:eek:

Kyew 09-15-2004 09:27 PM

Racing discharge simulation at 30 amps. tha'ts how you have your 1.19+ packs.

SlobbaTech 09-15-2004 09:29 PM

Don't get caught up in the #'s that much, some companies, basically all, use totally or just slightly different matching processes from the next company. So if they use a different type machine or methods like they don't run out for whole 5000 seconds, one company now has new cell that they just take voltage for like the first 5 minutes in the discharge and that's what gets printed on the label, lower discharge rate, or use varying discharge rate throughout the 5000 seconds is another way to inflate the numbers. Basically problem is everyone does something different, no way to compare one brand to another or who is truely right but the most accurate to real numbers is the matchers that just use a straight discharge rate and no tricks. A 1.17 3300 is a great cell, the best I've seen personally that I believe to be correct are 1.18's, I don't think there are any real 1.19's out there let alone enough to be able to sell and not to hold back for that companies team drivers. It's all just marketing trying to fool people somehting is what it isn't. The GP3300 cell is only one type of cell, if GP improves it somehow it is made available to everyone, don't believe anything about only one comany having some special cell no one else can get from GP. This is a whole sore subject for me and a pet peev of mine about how companies fudge numbers or whatnot, if you took offense to what I had to say then keep on feeling happy paying extra for a number that isn't correct.

burbs 09-15-2004 09:42 PM

the battery company i run for, has done tons of cases of gp cells... they do not fudge the numbers. they are as true as they get... my matcher has yet to see a cell over 1.189.. im talking thousands and thousands of cells done...

if they were that readily available, he would have some... but he has never seen one..... and his batteries come from the same place everyone elses do...

you have to watch out to because some companies do not use a turbo matcher.. which is the standard in the US.. integy,orion , corrally, ect ect.. use a diff machine.. if u look at the integy web site, it even says.. our machine produces turbo matcher type numbers.... anyone can put any numbers they want on a cell.... they dont even need to match them... if u have a computer u can do what u want

danjoy25 09-15-2004 09:58 PM

numbers

Burbs: I totally agree

I think I will start buying my packs from Ebay for $24.95 and is guaranteed 1.17+:lol: :lol:

Timmy_G 09-16-2004 01:31 AM

Re: Where to buy: GP3300 SP2's?

Originally posted by micros_rock
Does anyone know of shops that sell the Peak/TO 3300 SP2 cells? The cells are the ones that are 1.190-1.199v. I'm looking to get some new cells. Thanks.

good luck pulling those numbers on you're own turbo35.

stuartb 09-16-2004 05:32 AM

The othger thing is that the SP2 sticker is thought to be just a marketing gimmic. Becuase the latest batch of GP batteries are generally higher voltage than the previous batch, some companies have decided to rebadge as a new type of cell, when in fact all it is is the previous cell with slightly better figures :mad:

Best way to buy cells is try different ones of the same spec eg team packs, worlds packs and see which are the best and then continue to buy from that matcher - dont keep swapping based on "the numbers" as you cant do it!

Robfo 09-16-2004 05:49 AM

After speaking to a local orion team driver (through distributer) he swears that his new SP2 team cells are amazing and that they're a new type of cell.

What annoys me is that the people he tells are going to believe him and think that orion get cells that no one else can.

The best things about the SP2's are that in my LHS the top SP2'S are £60.99 and the old SP's (ie the same cells but just from the batch before) are £30!!! for the top spec cells. Oh well its a shame that i just got some new cells from the states as i might have had some of the SP's at that price.

The SP2's had 1.195 stickers on them (what a con)

John Tag 09-16-2004 06:38 AM

The 1.19 could be because ther using a lavco matching system and not the standard turbo matcher #s your use to seeing ,a lavco 1.19 is compared to a turbo matcher 1.17

MarkA 09-16-2004 09:36 AM

Originally posted by John Tag
The 1.19 could be because ther using a lavco matching system and not the standard turbo matcher #s your use to seeing ,a lavco 1.19 is compared to a turbo matcher 1.17
That's true.

Peak/Orion=Lavco=inflated #'s. I've seen that an Orion 1.195 will cycle out to around a 1.174 using CE numbers. Still a good pack but don't get too excited about seeing the big number on the label.

Chill Will 09-16-2004 10:13 AM

I heard that the new batch of GP3300s are going to be better from a battery sponsored driver. :nod:

Rick Hohwart 09-16-2004 10:29 AM

Originally posted by MarkA
That's true.

Peak/Orion=Lavco=inflated #'s. I've seen that an Orion 1.195 will cycle out to around a 1.174 using CE numbers. Still a good pack but don't get too excited about seeing the big number on the label.

Actually Team Orion and Peak use CE equipment.

One thing that most people don't realize is that voltage enhancement processes used by different manufacturers are unique.

Unlike run time, you should expect some voltage differences from matcher to matcher.

burbs 09-16-2004 05:08 PM

ANY BATTERY MATCHER CAN MAKE THERE NUMBERS HIGHER, JUST BY RAISING THE TEMPERATURE OF THE ROOM.... If u dont think it is true try it... cycle out a pack that is pre heated... but not by a charge.. one that is say in a heating blanket.... there is so many tricks to battery matching...

One thing that most people don't realize is that voltage enhancement processes used by different manufacturers are unique

well id like to see a machine that can make a cell over 2 full points higher... I DOUBT IT.... if it was those companies would have the standard cell up to 1.19... with everyone else trailing behind... I have a battery deal.. and trust me i get good styuff... but if i could buy TRUE 1.19+ over the counter, trust me i would....

as for the new gp cells... the cell is claimed to have less runtime, but slightly higher voltage.... NOT 2 POINTS.... maybe from 1.17 average to 1.173 average...

burbs 09-16-2004 05:12 PM

PS orion does not use turbo matchers.. the quote below is off the orion website it clearly states lavco

Team Orion V-Max Plus RDS cells have been processed with high-current (V-Max) to permanently increase voltage output and lower internal resistance. After a triple cycling period and V-Max processing the cells are tested using RDS (Race Discharge Simulation) on sophisticated Lavco computer controlled testing equipment in a climate-controlled environment. Linear charging and RDS are utilized to most realistically portray the actual discharge the cells will experience and to eliminate weak cells

Difuser 09-16-2004 05:19 PM

Uh burbs before you step in too deep the website is not current Peak/Orion have been switching over switched over to CE for a bit now and I think Rick might have just a little bit of inside info on that one. Just a little though.

Kenshin 09-16-2004 05:23 PM

psssst......burbs....fyi......Rick Hohwart-----> Owner of Peak

NR 09-16-2004 05:51 PM

Rick might be able to clarify this

Orion match more cells than any other matcher in the world hence they have better cells to give consumers.

If your in Doubt just look at all the electric races lately

burbs 09-16-2004 06:13 PM

pst i know rick and peak are one.. thats why i said orion.. not peak.. i did not know peak and orion merged.... sorry .. just going by what the website said

Just because a matcher sells the most doesnt nesesarily mean they will have that good of numbers in that volume.... When other matchers have never even seen one cell that high.

having volume, compared to one or two cells out of a thousand.. is about the same odds... still not real... those numbers would be the top 1% of half the cell matchers in the us.. still not buying it.. maybe ill have to get one, and put it to the turbo test

davepull 09-16-2004 06:25 PM

these cells are also dischaged @ 27 amps with a .85 cutoff

TexRacer 09-16-2004 06:45 PM

Rick Howart is a great guy and is manager of both Peak/Orion USA.He would know better than anyone whats going on.

They DO use a CE matcher nowadays but use a .85 cutoff.
The #'s will vary matcher to matcher PERIOD.

Zapping process's,temp rooms,# of cells matched and so on.

The reason for Orion/Peak matching of soooo many cells is being they sell 90% of the rechargable batteries to the medical industry in their home country.

The SP2 cell wasnt meant in a bad way like trinity's idea of the Panasonic UMH(SMH with new shrink) or the Zebra GP3300's.
Being in a different country usually SHRINK wrap of cells is a different color.Remeber the white,tan and green Sanyo2000's?
White being Japan/China,Tan being USA and Green being canadian?
The SP2 cell was GP and Orion's Joint Venture to show a new cell.
In america it was just the shorty cell pretty much.No sticker was applied.
If you guys noticed when the SHORTY cell came out runtime went up about 20-30 seconds at 30 amps and resistance was lower and voltage was a tad bit higher for a bit there and then has leveled out.So they werent lying when they said the cell was NEW and improved.Remeber also guys alot of their advertising or statements were made from across the waters.

I hope this answers some questions and mix ups.

Micros_Rock-Orion/Peak have quality cells and have for over 10 yrs.You wont be disappointed with their cells.

Danjoy-You go buy those supposed 1.17's for that cheap and come to a competitive stock race and see how they pan out for ya.I dont think so.They arent 1.17's.

Burbs-No harm no foul.You simply didnt know.But when Rick updates the page PAY ATTENTION brotha.lol.Sup man.
P.S.If your matcher matches over 5-8 cases at a time I PROMISE he has seen a few 1.19's and even some 1.20's(VERY RARE) but it does happen.Older cases yielded more of these cells.

Now guys are they real 1.19's?No but I will and can say they are VERY high quality cells and are AWESOME on the track.I have 2 packs I aquired and like them alot.Very fast with tons of punch.
Is Orion's 1.19's compariable to other people's 1.19's?
Well that depends on what temp your room is,what your cutoff voltage is and more.There is ALOT of factors when it comes to matching cells.Everyone has their OWN process.
Do they cutoff at 5000 seconds?NO I can promise that.
But guys I would compare them to OTHER companies 1.18's and for $60.00-70.00 a pack thats pretty much going rate for that high of a #ered cell.
You guys are simply SPOILED.
Remeber a company called SANYO.
You couldnt touch 1700's,2000's,or 2400's that had high #'s for under $80.00 a pack.

All I can tell ALL the guys that listed on this post.

There are a few high end matchers out there that have kinda stepped to the front of the battery industry due to hard work and constantly educating themselves and spending the HARD time of trying new and better things.
I will NOT name any other matchers names due to the maker of this post asking about Orion/Peak batteries.

Goodluck Racing or Bashing everyone but please refrain from posting what you may have HEARD and only post with what you KNOW.Thats how very bad rumors get started that only hurt the industry.You then are pretty much a LIAR for speaking without knowledge or evidence.

P.S.I am in NO way affiliated with Orion/Peak.I just know their process.
I am actually sponsored by someone else.
P.S.S.Would I ever race a popular 1.19 at a club race?Pretty much NEVER.Not worth it and unless you have 2-3 yrs experience you realistically probally couldnt tell the difference anyway.
Just buy a quality cell and be happy.But Orion has done WAYYYY more than enough to show they are a quality product.
Les

davepull 09-16-2004 06:58 PM

TexRacer

"They DO use a CE matcher nowadays but use a .85 cutoff."

the pack that I bought was a Peak and on the back of the box it had a table explaiing the label and it said it had a .85 cut off and was matched on a lavco and discharge was @27 amps

I ran the pack it was fast for a little bit 3 charges then it was just another pack.

TexRacer 09-16-2004 07:00 PM

Davepull-I think it's more of the care you took of the cell than Orion Itself.
Before I got sponsored I ran alot of cells and Orion was always a good cell.
I would maybe look into the care you took of the cell.
P.S.
Orion is 30 amps.27 amps was a while back.
Les

davepull 09-16-2004 07:03 PM

I don't know this is how I do it.

I tray the pack down then charge @ 6 amps with 1 re peak if it sits longer than 10 min. race 5 min pull battery out discharge down to 5.40 on turbo 30 @30 amps store till next week

TexRacer 09-16-2004 07:23 PM

I wouldnt tray any new pack for at least 4-5 charges to let the cells mend or cycle with each other a few charges.
Otherwise Dave it sounds like you have it pretty much right.
What is your cutoff for charge and then peak?

Now could you have gotten a bad pack?
Of course it does happen.

I have heard the complaint of OTHER matchers cells falling off after 4-5 charges but havent heard that issue with customers or fellow racers across the country with Orion/Peak.

Like I said after this many years in the buisness and the titles they have Im sure they wouldnt be getting away with bad cells for this many years.It's a quality product and of course there are some other NICE matchers out there but Micros_Rock was asking about Orion/Peak cells.

I hate when threads like this turn into SHOUTOUTS for a battery company you may either like,be friends with or sponsored by.
I am sponsored by someone other than Orion/Peak and have yet to SHOUT OUT their name under respect for the post.
I just wish OTHERS were like you Dave,Burbs and others on this post that havent done SHOUTOUTS for others.
Again goodluck to everyone racing or bashing and just have fun with this great hobby we all share.
Les

davepull 09-16-2004 07:32 PM

thanks man

hey all these matchers are full of it. When it comes to us the racer picking one it is just a matter of finding the one who is full of it the least. like New Wave Cells @ RC Madness in Enfield CT

jk shameless plug

kumpol 09-16-2004 07:33 PM

I'm still so happy with my 10-month-old 1.19+ packs from Peak.
They are 3300 SP!!!!!!

:nod: :nod: :nod:

davepull 09-16-2004 07:34 PM

oh yah I do just that I tray my packs before every charge.

I'll buy another one of these packs it was a good pack.

NR 09-16-2004 08:39 PM

Originally posted by TexRacer
I wouldnt tray any new pack for at least 4-5 charges to let the cells mend or cycle with each other a few charges.
Otherwise Dave it sounds like you have it pretty much right.
What is your cutoff for charge and then peak?

Now could you have gotten a bad pack?
Of course it does happen.

I have heard the complaint of OTHER matchers cells falling off after 4-5 charges but havent heard that issue with customers or fellow racers across the country with Orion/Peak.

Like I said after this many years in the buisness and the titles they have Im sure they wouldnt be getting away with bad cells for this many years.It's a quality product and of course there are some other NICE matchers out there but Micros_Rock was asking about Orion/Peak cells.

I hate when threads like this turn into SHOUTOUTS for a battery company you may either like,be friends with or sponsored by.
I am sponsored by someone other than Orion/Peak and have yet to SHOUT OUT their name under respect for the post.
I just wish OTHERS were like you Dave,Burbs and others on this post that havent done SHOUTOUTS for others.
Again goodluck to everyone racing or bashing and just have fun with this great hobby we all share.
Les

Let them do there shout outs.

These so call other companies havent won any races with them. So as they say let the results do the talking not there mouths.

micros_rock 09-16-2004 10:13 PM

TexRacer- thanks for clearing things up. :)
Still, does anyone know where I can get them? (that accepts paypal)

Wency_TA03R-PRO 09-17-2004 03:28 PM

Check on the EBAY...
:nod:

TexRacer 09-17-2004 03:48 PM

Micros-Rock
Always try and support local shops 1st expecially if thats where your HOME TRACK is at.See if he will order them and what price will be.

2nd choice is Mail Order.
If you need a few places email me.

Dave-I tray as well but not till after like 6 charges.I will bring them down to 5.4 as a pack but wont tray till about the 6th charge.

Shoutouts-I just think it's disrespectful.There are tons of OTHER post that people fight about brands and so on but alot of it isnt due to experience with the different brands but simply someone getting discounts or the "HOOKUP" from a certain company.

I will do this.I have 15 yrs in this hobby off and on.
The list Im listing are ALL respectable matchers.
I have tried and ran all these cells with alot of success.

Orion/Peak,Fukuyama,Promatch,SMC/Fantom,Schumacher,Corally,Hurricane,KC Racing,LightSpeed,Kinetix,and more.

As long as your getting decent #'s then you will be fine from any of those manufactures and more.

Guys lets be honest with where we are at in our racing experience.If you have less than 2-3 yrs you wouldnt or couldnt tell the difference in 1.16's and 1.17's in most cases.
Expecially if your not even setting up your OWN cars and still using setup sheets from others not knowing your OWN car.

Micros_Rock-I sent you an email.

Hope this helps guys.
Les

SlobbaTech 09-17-2004 08:28 PM

All the matchers can and do get great cells so to say that one brand is definately better than the next brand is really just personal preference or if you have had a good or bad experience with certain brands due to maybe a bad cell or how the cells were treated by the user. I just don't see anyone getting enough "1.19's' for every hobby shop to have a few of those packs on their shelf, so don't get caught up in the "hype" that gets printed out on the labels. But the odds are in favor of the company that goes thru the most cells out of everyone else to have a better pick of better # cells, just odds. If you order 2 packs odds are they might not be tha bomb, if order 5,000 odds are better than you'll have some good cells in there but it takes way more than that to put together a really good pack. Really all you should be concerned with is how well matched the cells are put together like you want all the cells to be the same #s or super close to same numbers for every cell, not one that's like 2.3 then 2.5 IR and same thing for voltage.