Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc) >

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi, are the springs a viable alternative for the TRF417 ?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hana166
Hi, are the springs a viable alternative for the TRF417 ?
Yes. They fit directly onto the TRF shocks. The behavior will be more a more direct feel than the Tamiya springs, which feel quite floaty, especially on asphalt.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The springs should work on the Tamiya Cars. I believe they should work on the HB shocks as well. They are the same dimensions as AE springs, so if you have an AE spring handy and they fit, then ours should too.

I have a buddy who has tried them on his Tamiya and they fit nicely, this is confirmed.

As for the pistons, it is easy to find out. What are the dimensions of an HPI/HB piston? Ours are 10mm in outside diameter, with a 3.15 mm shaft hole, the height of the piston is 2.45mm.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
Cristian,

Do your springs and pistons work with the HPI TC shocks? Can't remember how close AE and Hpi shocks are to each other.

thanks,
Steve
Steve, pretty sure I've heard a few people are running the HPI springs on the TC6 so they should be compatible. If I ever make it up north to run we can test them. I do plan to make it up there sometime in the next month.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
The springs should work on the Tamiya Cars. I believe they should work on the HB shocks as well. They are the same dimensions as AE springs, so if you have an AE spring handy and they fit, then ours should too.

I have a buddy who has tried them on his Tamiya and they fit nicely, this is confirmed.

As for the pistons, it is easy to find out. What are the dimensions of an HPI/HB piston? Ours are 10mm in outside diameter, with a 3.15 mm shaft hole, the height of the piston is 2.45mm.
Thanks, I will check when I get home from work.

Originally Posted by Verndog
Steve, pretty sure I've heard a few people are running the HPI springs on the TC6 so they should be compatible. If I ever make it up north to run we can test them. I do plan to make it up there sometime in the next month.
That would be cool Kevin, I plan on being at Monroe this Saturday and for most of the rest of the season. Come on up when you can.

Steve
Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

That would be cool Kevin, I plan on being at Monroe this Saturday and for most of the rest of the season. Come on up when you can.
Steve
Hmmmm..Saturday, I may try to do that. Are they running both 17.5 no boost and mod TC there? Hows grip, Sorex 36 OK?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Yes indeed; you want 36's there. SWEEPS OR SOREX'S. If its cool though, try 32's if ya got 'em. But traction there is NOT a problem.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Verndog
Hmmmm..Saturday, I may try to do that. Are they running both 17.5 no boost and mod TC there? Hows grip, Sorex 36 OK?

I have yet to run there this season, but I ran there 5 to 7 times last season. Sorex work great there but most racers support Sweep tires as that seems to be the easiest to get your hands on and I believe 2 or 3 racers there might still be racing for them. I think even the Solaris tires work there in a pinch. The surface is fairly forgiving overall.

I think most people have run either Mod sedan or 17.5 No Boost, the 17.5 class being a tad bigger, I have no idea yet what I am entering but I have the new Serpent to run but I have yet to get any spares so I need to have a break free day on Saturday.

Steve
Old 06-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JayBee
Yes indeed; you want 36's there. SWEEPS OR SOREX'S. If its cool though, try 32's if ya got 'em. But traction there is NOT a problem.
Cool, I have 1.5 sets of 32's but now their hard to find again so I'll need to hoard those for a while.

I have no idea yet what I am entering but I have the new Serpent to run but I have yet to get any spares so I need to have a break free day on Saturday.
Steve
Best be bringing the duct tape and a few owl feathers.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

I appreciate the bumps on the thread guys, but let's keep the conversation in scope.

How about sharing some of your experience with the parts.

Last edited by CristianTabush; 06-29-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: not a complete statement
Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
I appreciate the bumps on the thread guys, but let's keep the conversation in scope.

How about sharing some of your experience with the parts.
Just want to drop in and give my input. Springs are top notch for those in between the silver and green associated springs. Great tuning tool. Pistons are super smooth and don't have to to worry about any burrs from mold trees. The 1.5,1,1 seems to be the hot setup that the tc6 really likes. Shock tower mounts. To be able to change roll centers by .5 mil is another great tuning tool and real easy to change. Thumbs up to Cristian, great products and really good guy to deal with.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Jeff, look out for a PM soon.......
Old 07-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
Just want to drop in and give my input. Springs are top notch for those in between the silver and green associated springs. Great tuning tool. Pistons are super smooth and don't have to to worry about any burrs from mold trees. The 1.5,1,1 seems to be the hot setup that the tc6 really likes. Shock tower mounts. To be able to change roll centers by .5 mil is another great tuning tool and real easy to change. Thumbs up to Cristian, great products and really good guy to deal with.

Same here..love being able to change by .5mm and the springs are great! The pistons are also a great option as makes the car react but still keep the traction

Cant wait to se what you guys come up with next
Old 07-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just placed an order for the new springs and caps. Anyone have any idea where to start on set up for a 17.5 blinky RCGT for a 150x60 smooth, soda prepped asphalt track?
Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Tom, below is our "standard" set-up for our track. It is a shorter track, but it runs big and has pretty high grip. I have handed down this set-up to all the TC6 owners at the track and they all have improved by at least a lap on their 6 minute runs:

Front:
-1,1,1.5 Piston 550cst oil
-15.5lb spring
-Outside link on tower caps (shorter) 3mm underneath the inside link, 2mm outside
-3A Roll center blocks
-4 Deg Caster
-Shocks 1 hole out on shock tower
-6 on droop
-5mm ride height
-Slipper Spool tight
-Black sway bar

Rear
-1,1,1.5 Piston 450cst oil
-13.5lb spring
-Outside link on tower caps 2mm underneath inside, 3mm outside
-3A Roll center blocks
-shocks 2 holes out on shock tower
-4 on droop
-5.5 mm ride height
-Gear diff 700cst oil
-2.5 inboard toe 1 deg toe hub (if you are not running toe in hubs, 3 degs inboard is enough toe)
-Black sway bar

The set-up is super consistent and fast week in-week out. I like that I have not had to change it in a long time. To adjust your roll stiffness (i.e. if it leans to hard) you can remove shims from the inside camber link locations for minute adjustments. If it is not enough, I change my spring rate by 1lb before I change my shock angles (since changing angles affects damping as well as spring rate).

-5.5mm ride height

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.