R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Losi XXX-S G+ vs. Yokomo SSG (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/49358-losi-xxx-s-g-vs-yokomo-ssg.html)

TeamPink91 09-03-2004 05:43 PM

The whole one car for each class thing is cool, but I only race 19t, lol. I would also rather have a car that is sometimes a little easier to drive than being .001 seconds faster, and on this thread that sounds like the ssg. Am I right?

TeamPink91 09-03-2004 05:46 PM

Also, just out of curiosity, are the springs from the xxx-s compatible with the ssg. Yes it sounds like something a cheap homeless guy would say, but i am just curious.

mtc3od 09-03-2004 05:55 PM

the ssg would be the faster and the more consistant car. I am pretty sure the springs will be transferable.

TeamPink91 09-03-2004 06:03 PM

I forgot to mention that I am racing on a smallish tight track, I wonder which one the point goes to on that one, hmmm. :D

mtc3od 09-03-2004 06:04 PM

The shaft drive car.
Chris

TeamPink91 09-03-2004 06:26 PM

fo shizzle

Midnight 09-03-2004 08:08 PM

There is a good support group for losi, and I dont think the springs are switchable from the losi to the ssg. On a small track I think your going to love the ssg. Its like having a co pilot inside your car. Its just that smooth.

Chazz 09-04-2004 02:07 AM

Get a Xray T1R, amazing car and you just build no extra filing or glueing of carbon fibre and it's super smooth and quiet :nod: :D

Chazz

Dragonfire 09-04-2004 02:33 AM

The ssg has far more modern suspension allowing for better and more useful adjustment. If you must have a shaft car tho, go for the new tc4. Its the only car I have seen that compares to the adjustability that tamiyas pro cars use.

dontfeelcold 09-04-2004 07:54 AM

get a xray

wcoyote 09-04-2004 09:34 AM

Springs for the two cars are not comapatable. I think it's because of their internal diameter.

One mod I have seen most of the Yok SD guys use are the longer shocks from the nitro car with the rear shock tower up front. Also I have heard if you do go with the SSG, ditch the steering setup they use in the manual and go with the CGM setup, watch out for too much flex on carpet tracks. That is why the CGM came out. Before the CGM people were using multiple upper decks just to get the car the way they wanted it. The SSG is about the most flexible chassis I have ever seen.
Xrays are nice cars no doubt, but for me, too expensive and absolutely no parts support around here. So no one drives them.

Randy Caster 09-04-2004 10:01 AM

Looks like not many people have driven both cars, so as one of the people that has, I can chime in here. I owned the SSG, Black Special, Rayspeed, and CGM SD's as they kept coming out. The SSG is the worst material of all of them, it's very flexible, and I had numerous problems with the material chipping, this is after I sanded and sealed the edges. The car was not consistant because it flexed so much that it would actually build tweak in the chassis. The black special was a hair better, and the rayspeed was a hair better than that, but for some reason, driving the CGM felt like 2 steps backward. If you are going to get a SD, I suggest the rayspeed conversion, with all graphite, and a double thick upper deck, it'll still have a lot of flex, but that is the best I found.

As for the losi, I have only owned the G+, threw it down on my first raceday and it was a different world. No tweak, little flex, stronger parts, and much... much easier to drive.

From someone who has tried it all, the Losi is the better car. Hands Down.

TeamPink91 09-04-2004 02:32 PM

Has anybody else noticed this bad chassis flexing, and has it been an issue?

wcoyote 09-04-2004 04:51 PM

It has been an issue from the beginning with that car. Randy can attest to it. And reading the Yok thread as consistantly as I was, so can many others. The SSG stuff seems to have better luck overseas than in the US. Beyond looking good, the SSG is about as useless a material that there is. This is why people have had to use multiple upper decks on the cars. The SSG material also tweaks very easily. If I remember right, it's basically graphite sandwiched between tin or aluminum. Which is great when you want to put tweak into the chassis, but it's not good when it comes to wrecks. Some people are so adept at chassis tuning that they can use tweak successfully. Most racers don't bother with it. They can use the suspension and roll center to do the same thing.

TeamPink91 09-04-2004 05:19 PM

Does the rayspeed graphite conversion change this?