R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Losi XXX-S G+ vs. Yokomo SSG (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/49358-losi-xxx-s-g-vs-yokomo-ssg.html)

TeamPink91 09-03-2004 12:33 PM

Losi XXX-S G+ vs. Yokomo SSG

Ok, If all you guys had a choice of racing a Losi XXX-S Graphite plus version, or a Yokomo MR4-TC SD SSG, which one do you think you would race with, and why.

Midnight 09-03-2004 12:48 PM

I would have to say hands down the SSG. Its one of the easiest cars to drive. If you really want a good car, you might even consider running the CGM. When you do buy it purchase the Green, orange, and pink springs. You will not be disappointed. Also the car seems to get faster the more you drive it. You can pick one up from www.speedtechrc.com. He has the best prices and he want screw you on the shipping.

DavidAlford 09-03-2004 12:55 PM

XXX-S is a great car. Out of the box you get everything you need, but add the black belt kit to it and it comes alive. I think it carries more corner speed then any other car out there. Having never drove a SSG I can't tell ya much about it, but I've heard a lot of people say they have problems with the diffs. Maybe somebody else can tell ya more about that.

TeamPink91 09-03-2004 12:56 PM

Thanks anymore suggestions would be great.

edseb 09-03-2004 03:00 PM

Biggest difference is shaft vs. belt. Each have their pros and cons. Ask 10 poeple their opinion and you'll probably get 10 different. One thing a lot of people agree though; shaft equals instant power, more suited for small tight track but run risk of tourque sterr, belts equal smooth and flowing tracks with smoother power delivery and no tourque steer. Of course both have been provine to work in a ll conditions. Good luck. I think the losi does have better parts availability though. Both have won at high levels.

wcoyote 09-03-2004 03:20 PM

Well I had to make that decision myself because the CGM and the G+ were the two cars I was looking at. Here's how I arrived with my decision....

I have had Yokomo stuff before (YZ-10) and loved it. I was debating between shaft and belt. Since I had experience with 4WD before, I knew what to expect. They are good kits. I have to admit they aren't what you would call beginner cars. This was my first time in TC so I wanted something reliable and easy to work on. The Yok CGM has more adjustability which is good if you know how to make the most of it. I didn't need all of that yet. The you must remember you have to buy a body and tires for the CGM, which will raise the cost to get running.

Weight wise they are similar, and both chassis are stiff which is great for carpet. But the main factor for me was durability and parts availability. My local hobby store is pretty inept when comes to carrying anything past Associated, Losi, HPI RTRs, or Traxxas. Even then, they are not all that great. So there would be no possibility of on hand Yokomo parts. That was more of the deciding factor since I hate waiting a week for parts.

So all in all, I decided on the G+. It's worked great for me. I haven't broken anything on it yet. Had it for a couple of months now. I'm getting the black belt kit and some springs soon, so I should be able to say if it helps performance too.

Hope that helps clear some of the quagmire. If you aren't a newbie to TC, then I'd go with the Yok. Because I was on a budget and couldn't afford all the smallest electronics that you may need on the CGM because of chassis' lack of space, I decided to go with the Losi and then upgrade electronics/car later. That way I can learn more and adapt to the TC racing, and not be overburdened by "so much chassis adjustment" that I get overwhealmed and never use the car. Like say, the Xray cars.

TeamPink91 09-03-2004 04:15 PM

Yeah, I have been in the hobby for a while and used to race 12th scale, but now I went up to 10th scale. i also have a quantum 2 and a rather small reciever so electronics space isn't real tight, so that isn't much of a factor. I actually have the XXX- G+, but I also have a yokomo ssg on the way so I need to decide which one I want to sell or just put on the back burner. Thanks.

mtc3od 09-03-2004 04:27 PM

I would go with the ssg. The ease of maintenance for one. Second, its shaft drive. Third, you can convert it to the cgm and it is way better looking than the losi.
Chris

edseb 09-03-2004 04:31 PM

Also, remember that at some levels of racing you have to meet weight minimums too. So its irrelevant on weight but you should consider rotation mass, both are good. I have both cars. Yok watch the shaft drive cups, Losi watch excessive belt skipping although a little won't affect performance, just an annoyance. Something to consider too, Losi is coming out with a new TC within a few weeks. Centered batteries, single belt again. The losi factory guys say its much better.:weird:

mtc3od 09-03-2004 04:32 PM

I thought it was going to be two belts

edseb 09-03-2004 04:34 PM

Another thing to ponder; I noticed your name is Corally91. Corally is coming out with its new belt car RDX by the end of the month, very interesting and exotic, I'll be getting one. Also Associated is releasing its TC4, that's an option for parts availability and its shaft.

Blakesrc 09-03-2004 04:34 PM

Wow, finally a VS thread i can respond to :)

Corrally91,

I was in the same situation as you last year. I raced my XXXS for nearly a year and just could not push the car to get the extra couple of tenths i needed on my 2 local tracks. I have been racing off and on for 15 years and can honestly say that i tried everything on that car and it just wasnt for me. It always felt extremely smooth but when i needed it to be aggresive, I just couldnt get it to work for me(notice i said for me:)). The sd ssg was going to be released at the time and i have never been one to get on a pre order list but figured it was time to try something new(thank you Speedtech!). I remember last year taking the ssg to my local track, only one there with the car, no idea where to start with a setup so i used one of the supplied diff setups that came with the kit. In the middle of the day i was having my usual problems with my XXXS, the car felt very lazy so i figured what the heck and put the new SD down and i instantly found what i was looking for. As Midnight just mentioned, by far one of the easiest cars to drive, very very consistant. Also i feel like if i make a change with a camber link or shock oil etc i can actually feel the difference. My losi always felt the same for some reason unless i did several extreme changes. My poor losi has sat in my room for the last year, never raced again.

I realize that everyone is different and will have their own driving styles and one car will fit one driver better than another, for me it is the sd. Nobody can really tell you what car is better, they are both proven winners, you are just going to have to take it to the track and test if for yourself but i dont think you will be disapointed with the SD.

Good Luck,

Blake

TL_XXX-S_racer 09-03-2004 04:39 PM

go with the XXX-S. Its more consitant and its so smooth. I also like the support the Losi Team gives you if you ahve any questions. All you have to do is e-mail one of them and u get a reply withen 24 hours wich I love. The XXX-S in my expierence is an awsome car and is very user friendly and easy to change parts and anything else you have to do. Oh did I say that its a very fast car. I've also noticed that the XXX-S has won more races on the Pro level than the yokomo. If you get a XXX-S more people have that car than the yokomoe where I race. So you would have more help if more people have one car than the other. If you want you can try both cars. Test one car and then test the other one.

I hope this helps you.

mtc3od 09-03-2004 04:44 PM

You have no experience with the ssg though. How can you say that it isnt as good as the xxxs? Also, you can notice more people have won with the xxxs because they have a larger team that has been around longer with that car.
Chris

Hebiki 09-03-2004 04:45 PM

get both.. one for stock... one for 19T/mod.