Wiki Posts
Search

How to Revive On-Road Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Serzoni
I beg to differ.. going to a motor that is only used for VTA ruined it for many. Now if someone wants to start out in VTA and then step up to another class, they have to buy a new motor (roughly $75), tires ($40), and a body ($25-30). When 21.5 was still the spec, they could have switched over to RCGT or some other slow class with just a change of the body and tires. I know personally that I was going to finally go brushless with mine until the 25.5 rule landed. I've been a holdout running the 4-cell/27t setup until they finally could decide on a set of rules and stick with them. Another problem is that some tracks require a 25.5, while some still allow the 21.5 configuration... so which one do you lay down the money for? This hobby isn't cheap, but I'm not going to keep forking out more cash for motors to run VTA than I do the fast classes. That's just bass-ackwards.
red...not if you go with the Ballastic...its $32 for the stator...also, if ppl are running TC...any class 17.5,13.5 or mod....everytime a new motor comes out...we buy it....DUO 1,2, & 3...looking for the edge...examples...its just part of it

and tires and body, come with the territory...we run Jaco Blues in TC, and Ive bought 4-6 sets this season...and 2 bodies...in VTA, 1 set of tires and 3 body cause of different looks

blue...if you liked the 27t/4cell...you will love the 25.5....and if a track is still allowing 21.5...they have such a high fdr, thats it slows the 21.5 car down so much to even it out...we had the same issue....and we(me)..made a stand to honor the USVTA rules...and now less than a month latter every VTA racer is on 25.5....sweet..and its the best racing at the track....

and VTA isnt backwards....its a forward push to help on-road racing as a whole...start in VTA and it will open doors for every other TC class out there..incl USGT,TC 17.5 Stock, Boosted,Mod and ect...put VTA into play, stick by the National Rules and watch what happens....

I too was not a fan of the 25.5 as Ive stated before, I got one of the first ones to test...but after everything came into play...I can honestly say its the BEST for VTA...PERIOD!!!

I hope you get back into it...we have some Bama guys that come race with us almost every weekend...come check it out...and they run 25.5 as well..cya
Old 03-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

+1 love it
Originally Posted by Evoracer
Oh that's just not nice !!

Lots of good ideas though. I noticed some people mentioning dropping numbers due to rules changing for VTA ,TC and GT. Brings up a point though that we don't often think about. VTA has had 1 major rule change and yes, it hasn't been popular in some peoples minds BUT...that was not the fault of VTA. In order to keep the focus on what the class is designed to be the organizers HAVE to react to the changes in the technology. Thats a fact of life in every technology oriented market. If that wasn't the case, we'd all still be using computers from 5 years ago. In our case, the updated technology directly impacts performance and THAT can make huge problems in spec oriented classes, which should be the largest percentage of racers. RCGT is a perfect example. It started as a way to make racing more affordable, realistic and less "gotta have the fastest, most expensive technology out there". It started great. It failed because nobody reacted to the tech explosion that created secondary issues. Costs increaed dramatically, tires weren't able to handle the higher level of performance so they wore out quickly and made driving harder for newer drivers + the cost when up because you had to replace them more often. Get the picture ?? Higher cost, more skill required, less fun !! Hmmmm....can you spell recipe for disaster !!?? NOW look at RCGT....very few original RCGT programs. Most others are some form of it and are different around the country.
You'll never be able to make every class what everybody wants !! What would happen if 21.5 were the standard for VTA, GT and TC? Holy crap, peple would drop out left and right because they don't want 21.5. How about 17.5 !? Same problem in reverse....too fast for VTA and GT. Tires wear out, harder to do as a newbie, costs go up. Sound familiar ??
Too many people want to race too many classes but they don't want to commit to 1 or 2. You are not the key to on road. The key is in developing NEW people and you MUST provide for them AND those who don't want to become so "hard core" about racing RC. It's a hobby...not a sport.
We as racers, hobby shop owners and club directors get WAY too focused on trying to satisfy the one group that we shouldn't....those who are already in the hobby at whatever level. I'm not increasing my racer numbers by changing my rules because the guy who drives TC also wants to race VTA but doesn't want to buy another motor/esc/or car. I increase my numbers by offering stable classes where the commitment is to LIMIT the number of changes expected due to technology changes. VTA has done that. TCS has done that and had a long,successful program. GT has a chance but not there yet.
No matter what, WE are to blame. Stop looking for ways to make 1 car do it all. Start realizing that we have some great classes and they have their own value but if you don't want to spend on it then don't piss on the rest who might. Those are the people who AREN'T getting involved.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I did say VTA, ?
About 400 times too many in every thread on this forum.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress
About 400 times too many in every thread on this forum.
no 2,102 times...lol

got to love it
Old 03-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
1/12 is a great class, hope it really is on the rise. i don't know why it has been mostly ignored for so long. I mean, the kits are cheaper, there are less parts to deal with, the batteries are cheaper, the electronics usually last a long time, and with pre-trued tires available how much easier can it get? Everything is link now, so dealing with t-bars that tweak and break easily are no-more. Spend a little time on set-up and they drive like a dream, so much more fun to drive in my opinion. I think it comes down to people always wanting something that resembles the actual cars you see on the streets? I dunno, I'm just saying it is an answer that is ignored all to often.
I agree. I am not a fan of VTA for beginners because we have a lot of guys running it that shouldn't be because they are good fast drivers and to ask a beginner to figure out 4 shocks, 2 sway bars and rubber tires that don't grip is asking a lot.

Steve Dunn
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

out in the mid west we have plenty of on road racers but not nearly as much as off road though
Old 03-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

I believe the BEST way to revive on-road racing, is to stop changing the bloody rules! Make a rule, stick with it, people will adjust.
Seriously, if people are going to quit RC over a rule they don't like, they probably don't love racing anyway
Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JR007
I believe the BEST way to revive on-road racing, is to stop changing the bloody rules! Make a rule, stick with it, people will adjust.
Seriously, if people are going to quit RC over a rule they don't like, they probably don't love racing anyway
+1
Old 03-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Talking

I don't know what will keep on road alive here in parkersburg the onroad track was dead to I don't run onroad very much mainly dirt but it kinda happens to the other classes to just my 2 cents I blame the manufactures for this they come out with new stuff seems like every week so we should probably quit letting the new stuff run when duels are made about motors then keep those rules for couple of years instead of changing every year
Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I really liked RCGT. I don't know what happened to it. Took me back to why RC touring cars were cool in the first place! They looked like real race cars! 200mm wide body with offset wheels just does something for me. Low and wide... how a car should be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OBc...feature=relmfu
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

SexyRexy....you're gonna love this. I just heard of a new esc coming out. It's 1/2 the size of anything on the market, puts out 3 times the current power, doesn't require a computer to program it AND it fits within current ROAR specs. Can you believe they're wondering whether they should produce it ?? People will go crazy for it !!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 AM
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

These cars are really interesting. Its basically a 1/12th scale car with rubber tires and RCGT bodies. Using a 2s 7.4 1/10th scale pack.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

If you don't know who's on the mic then you should take up trains...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Last edited by hairy; 03-10-2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: not worth it
Old 03-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hairy, I can only share your frustration and tell you to keep plugging IF you still love the hobby. My question is "Just WHOM is it that's responsible for these changes and are they popular changes or is this the unfortunate story of 1 or 2 "faster is better" guys with deep pockets making all the decisions? Somebody needs to speak up and LOUDLY. Wish i was there....i seem to do that often.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Could it have something to do with the indoor track being 40 x 60 and the outdoor track being 100 x 200?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.