Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Armature winding

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 05:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Armature winding

Anyone have any idea of the wire gauge that would be used to wind a 12turn motor. I have redone several motors and they have worked very well so far, but im only using .26 gauge magnet wire. I think i should be using a heavier wire. i have a 19 turn reedy that is wound with 19 gauge wire. so im looking for an idea of what wire to use. thanks !!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Tech Regular

12x1 with 17 guage will be pretty good for an avergae track
Old 08-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

you wind your own motors? that pretty sweet
is it hard to do?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:19 PM
tornado

Winding the armature is only half the story.....how do you balance the armature ? you have the equipment ?

Bryan

Old 08-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

yeah , you gotta have the tools . To get the most out of ur motors
Old 08-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I wound a 55TURN 12V motor a few years ago to power my lathe.... I must say it was a good experience and gave me a very good appriciation for the guys that do this on a daily basis..... however i won't be doing that agian....LOL without the proper winding tools my hands got very sore and tired..... not to mention I wound all but the last stack twice because I wasn't happy with the results.

It also didn't need balanced due to it's very low RPM's......

Agian good experience, but one that WILL NOT be repeated....LOL
Old 08-24-2004, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

yah is there any dynamic balancing tools for home use.??
Old 08-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Yeah i have been winding them since i played around with mini-z and stuff. its pretty easy to balance them with simple tools, but i never had to balance the miniz motors. i built a simple stand with two metal rulers. you can roll the armature across them and the heavy spto will come up on the bottom. then just add a little bit of jb weld, marine tex. you can tell how well it worked by putting the amature in a dremal and running it at low speed. if its close you will still feel a little vibration at low speed. just dont run it at high speed for long. I am going to build a website soon that shows how i do it, cause there isnt alot of info on this subject. thanks for the replies also it helped me alot!!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The problem is that these things need to be dynamically balanced for the rpms that they turn. Just balancing them by rolling them to find the heavy spot does not work very well. Example, if the top of one stack is heavy and the bottom of the next stack is heavy, there will be one hell of a vibration.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Originally posted by Jack Smash
The problem is that these things need to be dynamically balanced for the rpms that they turn. Just balancing them by rolling them to find the heavy spot does not work very well.
dynamically balanced motors is one of the important things to consider especially on manually winding them. Its best to have cheap but best tools in order to attain a great performance on the motor that you are working on...

just my $0.02 opinion...

Old 08-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Tech Initiate

the method i use is easy, and fun. im not trying to make a race ready motor, im just tinkering around. if the motor is wound evenly, and tight then it takes almost nothing to balance them anyway. trust me its much easier, and probaly cheaper to buy a good orion, or reedy motor instead of making your own, but damn is it fun to turn an epic 27 into something that can push your car over 40mph.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:27 PM
tornado

Yeah good luck bonefish and let us know your webby when its ready.

Bryan

Old 08-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Originally posted by Bonefish
is it fun to turn an epic 27 into something that can push your car over 40mph.
you really are to something aside from just in rewinding especially at the speed of 40mph...

Old 08-25-2004, 05:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Bonefish
.if the motor is wound evenly, and tight then it takes almost nothing to balance them anyway.
well 1st thing is yeah you could get away with your balance technique with maybe a 12 turn tops.

and like jack said they need to be balanced per side meaning the machines measure both ends of a stack and you baance each individually.

but i know even the best winders only get like 1 outta maybe 5,000 that never need to be balanced no matter if the pattern is perfect or the windings are tight.

also how are you attaching the wire to the comm??

are you epoxying the whole arm after it is wound??

are you using fresh blanks or unwrapping wound motors??

if youre unwrapping arms to get blanks how many you wind stay together or dont short and smoke??

and yes it is way cheaper to buy a motor then to buy the equipment to make a your own arms.

i wont say individual equipment prices but to make an arm you would buy from TRINITY,reedy,orion

it would be around 10,000
Old 08-25-2004, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well, unless you can find a good deal on a quillen balancer(good luck, took me a year to find one) your only other real choice is a Heins.....mine cost me 8k last december.

To get the arms identically from segment to segment, very very rarely will the arm not need balancing. In fact, if you just spin up a brand new arm, it will rarely be balanced.

As long as your having fun, no harm in it though....unless you decide to start doing other peoples motors, then you will just end up with pissed off people if something goes wrong(which it will).

Later EddieO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.