Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Ryan Maker(Serpent Australia) has TQ Masters event in Vic. Australia today against some of the best mod driver in AU. ERXY looks awesome on track and with only 2 sets of Sorex tyres for the 5 qualifiers and 5 finals(weird set up I know) it looks like its going to be a good day for Serpent tomorrow as the car is not burning up rubber like the opposition Tamiya and Associated. Testament to the mechanical grip the new car generates
Old 02-09-2013, 06:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
For those with the new car, did you angle the servo horn on the servo? If so how much or is it straight up and down (vertical)?

Thanks,

Steve
I'm running mine angled, using a Sanwa BL. I'll take a pic tomorrow to show how much, but I'm still easily getting full (knuckle touching C-hub) lock on it...

Ed
Old 02-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
I'm running mine angled, using a Sanwa BL. I'll take a pic tomorrow to show how much, but I'm still easily getting full (knuckle touching C-hub) lock on it...

Ed
That would be great Ed, I just couldn't tell by the instructions.

Steve
Old 02-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

anyone know if there's enough adjustment in the motor mount to run a 25/104 gear combo?
Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 AM
Tech Champion

As promised, picture of my horn with steering at centre. With this setup (note also the non-drop down link), I have EPA's equal, and 115% d/r achieves full lock (Sanwa radio gear). I only run 105-110% though, gives enough on track though.

Anyway, had my first meeting with Eryx on Saturday night. Started out with a combination of kit setup and what I had been running. Felt nice on track, if lacking on power steering, and not wanting to rotate. Anyway, by the end of the night, had moved to a setup with a lot more rear bias (battery as far back as possible, 3mm wheelbase), and also changed the springs and shock positions.
Overall made positive gains for the balance (if not pace, mainly due to the very old tyres), gaining a lot of on power steering and rotation, without losing stability.

Thinking on it a bit further, and comparing the new and old cars on the bench tonight, it feels like the new car needs a slightly harder front spring, but overall softer due to the lower CoG. Also seems to work a lot better with the weight back too.

Overall very happy with how the first run went (only a couple of little new car niggles), although it has given another long list of things to test out next time. First items on the list are softer springs, longer rear wheelbase, heavier diff oil.

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-img_2451.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EC Logan 090213.pdf.pdf (221.9 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-10-2013, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (82%+)

how the new serpent Eryx compare to the new xray t4
Old 02-10-2013, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

As promised, picture of my horn with steering at centre. With this setup (note also the non-drop down link), I have EPA's equal, and 115% d/r achieves full lock (Sanwa radio gear). I only run 105-110% though, gives enough on track though.

Anyway, had my first meeting with Eryx on Saturday night. Started out with a combination of kit setup and what I had been running. Felt nice on track, if lacking on power steering, and not wanting to rotate. Anyway, by the end of the night, had moved to a setup with a lot more rear bias (battery as far back as possible, 3mm wheelbase), and also changed the springs and shock positions.
Overall made positive gains for the balance (if not pace, mainly due to the very old tyres), gaining a lot of on power steering and rotation, without losing stability.

Thinking on it a bit further, and comparing the new and old cars on the bench tonight, it feels like the new car needs a slightly harder front spring, but overall softer due to the lower CoG. Also seems to work a lot better with the weight back too.

Overall very happy with how the first run went (only a couple of little new car niggles), although it has given another long list of things to test out next time. First items on the list are softer springs, longer rear wheelbase, heavier diff oil.

Regards
Ed
your sanwa servo horn is way different to the Futaba. the Futaba is alot more closer to the center of chassis to the sanwa. i set mine up straight up centered, and have exact lock on knuckles. but my Dual rate is set to 85 now instead of 75 from the old car.
also went for softer springs with in half a pack, and 1mm short of full long rear wheelbase. front diff helped the on power push straight up. the only changes i made, apart from the longest rear top link. and it felt better than the old car.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RavensNightFury
i think thats pretty hard to compare. i think most dont own both cars, as they are quite new.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:46 AM
Tech Master

yeah has any one yours had the rtr version and the higne pin keep droping out
Old 02-10-2013, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

yeah has any one yours had the rtr version and the higne pin keep droping out
on the serpent ? i have not seen this , which hinge pin ? the C hub one is same as the full race kit, the alloy has been replaced with plastic for the toe blocks, and they have no holes in them, so i think it would be hard to loose a hinge pin from the car. make sure the screw is tightned square to the hole for the C hub retaining pin, or that might be able to come out if the head of the screw cant stop the pin coming out. this is for front and rear hubs.
i know on the Xray they have a flat on the c hub pin. and some times the set screw comes loose and the pin wants to go through your Rim. and the inner hinge pin, if you have an accident can loosen the hanger screw, and cause play in the pin, and it may fall out.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

C hub on the rtr version
Old 02-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
your sanwa servo horn is way different to the Futaba. the Futaba is alot more closer to the center of chassis to the sanwa. i set mine up straight up centered, and have exact lock on knuckles. but my Dual rate is set to 85 now instead of 75 from the old car.
also went for softer springs with in half a pack, and 1mm short of full long rear wheelbase. front diff helped the on power push straight up. the only changes i made, apart from the longest rear top link. and it felt better than the old car.
You mean the spindle position is closer to the centre, right? The actual horn I'm using is the stock serpent part, work very well.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The actual horn I'm using is the stock serpent part, work very well.
I had an issue with the stock horn shifting on me. Swapped it for a Kimbrough saver. Is anyone using an aluminum horn?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigRon
I had an issue with the stock horn shifting on me. Swapped it for a Kimbrough saver. Is anyone using an aluminum horn?
i have used an aluminum horn since the day i bought it, no problems
Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

In what way?

Might be better to ask how many of us race against Xrays and how much we beat them by each week LOL Not that that happens often for me but there are plenty of fast guys running this car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.