Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
Guys had an interesting incident this weekend caught my inside rear tire on a board in our sweeper, I didn't break anything other than the chassis!! It tore the screw that goes in the rear arm block right through the chassis! The rear arm and everything remained intact..2.25 chassis anyone else had this issue?

This is my LE #025 chassis on the verge of letting go. I had an incident with a Kerb going flat out through the sweeper and a gust of wind caught the car and flipped it backwards into a galvanised track barrier. No tweak to the chassis, bulk heads or toe blocks but you can see how little material there is to mount the bulk heads to and how the bottom screw is de laminating the CF when i tighten it down. Time for a new chassis methinks.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
That was the stock chassis on the original S411 before the LE came out. I used the 2.5 before on asphalt, and liked it so I would think it would work fine on carpet too. When I have the need to buy a new chassis, then I will be buying another 2.5.

Steve
Wow.. I wouldn't think the 2.5 would work well on asphalt...I may try it on carpet...
Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Benzaah

This is my LE #025 chassis on the verge of letting go. I had an incident with a Kerb going flat out through the sweeper and a gust of wind caught the car and flipped it backwards into a galvanised track barrier. No tweak to the chassis, bulk heads or toe blocks but you can see how little material there is to mount the bulk heads to and how the bottom screw is de laminating the CF when i tighten it down. Time for a new chassis methinks.
Yikes...I can tell you it's not a good look from the drivers stand when that lets go..shims,arm pivot balls and a bent cv shaft and chassis..
Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by zaraz
Hi martin thanks for the number 2 block, owe you a coffee, can you please give me the part numbers for the yokmo pink and yellow springs, when i google it a bunch of springs show up thanks
I sent you a PM with Keith Yu's email address. He works for the Canadian distributor for Yokomo and can help you out.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

anyone running the front diff in there car and if so how do you like it?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
After the snowbirds race I decided to try some new ideas on the setup that would have been too risky to try in the dwindling rounds of qualifying. The result is a setup that is quicker by about 1 to 2 tenths, than what I ran at the birds. The key changes were to
1) add the hard plastic arms
2) use a thicker rear diff oil (dot 3 yokomo - similar to perhaps a 2500 to 3000 cst is my best guess)
3) reduce the number of spacers on the v2 steering from 2mm to 1mm
4) use the yokomo pink springs for the front and yokomo blue springs for the rear.
5) Very minor roll center changes, that would be tuned to the grip level of the track...but I ended up with a very minor 0.5mm added shim to the front inboard upper link and a very minor 0.5mm added shim to the rear inboard upper link.

Here is the link to the setup
Hi Martin,

Do you flip the arms when running the V2 steering are or you running the arms normal ?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JamieV
Hi Martin,

Do you flip the arms when running the V2 steering are or you running the arms normal ?

Thanks
No I don't flip the arms. I believe Marc does however.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gearhead_22
anyone running the front diff in there car and if so how do you like it?
Ive ran the diff with 500k and with ofna diff lock.. Diff lock was better both gave alot of entry steering but lacked a little on exit gave a little diff pull...the spool however with this car on medium traction is great.. The car has alot of steering anyway so u really don't notice that little less entry u generally get with a spool plus the way a spool exits a corner is just fantastic.. On top of all that u probably weigh in around 20 grams less with a spool!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ive ran the diff with 500k and with ofna diff lock.. Diff lock was better both gave alot of entry steering but lacked a little on exit gave a little diff pull...the spool however with this car on medium traction is great.. The car has alot of steering anyway so u really don't notice that little less entry u generally get with a spool plus the way a spool exits a corner is just fantastic.. On top of all that u probably weigh in around 20 grams less with a spool!
thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
No I don't flip the arms. I believe Marc does however.
Alston Kelso and Myself both found the arms flipped to be much better. I like the bump steer much better with them flipped. With it not flipped I thought the steering mid corner was rather unpredictable as the links start pointed down slightly causing it to gain steering mid-corner sometimes more sometimes less depending how much suspension compression.

Trust me you'll like it better. just watch you battery strap anchor for full lock, you'll have to trim it up a bit.

Best regards,
James

PS, I'll have the race report for the last Mid West Grand Slam race tonight and our Set-up sheets as well.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesReilly
Alston Kelso and Myself both found the arms flipped to be much better. I like the bump steer much better with them flipped. With it not flipped I thought the steering mid corner was rather unpredictable as the links start pointed down slightly causing it to gain steering mid-corner sometimes more sometimes less depending how much suspension compression.

Trust me you'll like it better. just watch you battery strap anchor for full lock, you'll have to trim it up a bit.

Best regards,
James

PS, I'll have the race report for the last Mid West Grand Slam race tonight and our Set-up sheets as well.
Can you post pictures of what yours looks like? I'm have having a hard time figuring out what you mean by flipped.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX
Can you post pictures of what yours looks like? I'm have having a hard time figuring out what you mean by flipped.

Thanks
You have 2 posts that bolt to the chassis. On top of that sits 2 "arms" in which there are bearings mounted in both sides. Stock, the end connected to the post is thicker on the bottom side, spacing the connection points higher up (on the other side where the plate with the serpent logo mounts, and is replaced by the V2 mount). Flipping the arms just means turning them upside down, so that the thicker portion is facing up, and the "arm" is lower.

I can get a pic when I get home, but maybe that helps.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Wow.. I wouldn't think the 2.5 would work well on asphalt...I may try it on carpet...
It did, and it was all I had at the time. There is always something you can do to the car to make it a tad better. I never had any luck with a 2.0 chassis with anycar that I have owned. I do like the 2.25 chassis that is on my LE at the moment. Think about how little difference there actually is between 2.25 and 2.50 on your calipers, it's not that much. There is also a lot of cars on the market where 2.5 is standard.

I had a TC5 awile back and there were lots of comments about the ITF chassis being too thin and if I remember that was a 2.0 chassis. Carbon fiber can be laid differently to create different effects anyways.

All I was trying to say is don't be afraid to try what you have first. Our carpet tends to build traction quickly so I keep that in mind too.

Steve

Last edited by corallyman; 02-27-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JamesReilly

Best regards,
James

Marc does not run the battery strap holders, which is why he did not have the issue of hitting the battery strip holders with the flipped arm. I had flipped mine at the snowbirds but when they hit the battery strap holder I put them back to normal. I will have to look at this again and see how much needs to be trimmed.

Cheers.
Martin.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX

Thanks
Using the V2 steering rack you can flip the two steering arms to get the bump steer closer/similar to the V1 rack. Se attached picture from manual.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-steering-arms.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.