Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade parts confusion

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default Upgrade parts confusion

I have a Tamiya TT-01 Type E recently finished and I love it but I am already looking at upgrade parts for it.

First I would like to get some tires with grooves to replace the slick ones that came in the box. The other downside of my factory tires is that they are missing foam inserts and I have a feeling they are too soft because of this.
Which ones are recommended? The factory tires are 26mm wide.

Now on to the juicy bits. First of all, the motor. Any ideas what would be a good replacement? I found lots of motors online but I am not sure which ones will fit in my car.

Other spare parts I found:
Ball bearing set (I hear this is a must)
Alu shaft and joint (I hear this is a must also)
Carbon damber stay front/rear (Some say these are not worth the trouble)
Alu steering set (This should fix the light wobble on the front wheels)

Parts I would like to find:
Alu shock absorbers (Maybe oil ones?)
Alu wheel shafts (Do these even matter?)

Any advice on these parts is appreciated.
Does anyone know if I can use TT-01 parts on an Type E?
Old 01-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omegaf
I have a Tamiya TT-01 Type E recently finished and I love it but I am already looking at upgrade parts for it.

First I would like to get some tires with grooves to replace the slick ones that came in the box. The other downside of my factory tires is that they are missing foam inserts and I have a feeling they are too soft because of this.
Which ones are recommended? The factory tires are 26mm wide.

Now on to the juicy bits. First of all, the motor. Any ideas what would be a good replacement? I found lots of motors online but I am not sure which ones will fit in my car.

Other spare parts I found:
Ball bearing set (I hear this is a must)
Alu shaft and joint (I hear this is a must also)
Carbon damber stay front/rear (Some say these are not worth the trouble)
Alu steering set (This should fix the light wobble on the front wheels)

Parts I would like to find:
Alu shock absorbers (Maybe oil ones?)
Alu wheel shafts (Do these even matter?)

Any advice on these parts is appreciated.
Does anyone know if I can use TT-01 parts on an Type E?
Why do you want grooved tires?

Not sure how well the tt01 will hold up with hot motors, most I know of are running them with Tamiya's Sport Tuned (Black Can), If youre brushless maybe a 21.5 or 17.5

I would only get the really essential parts, ball bearings and an aluminum propeller shaft. All the other parts you listed aren't really worth the money for the performance you can get out of this car (no offence). Maybe a set of plastic tamiya oil dampers, but doesnt the TT01E come with them stock?

Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Tech Adept

Hi, thanks for the reply.
The car came with plastic friction dampers and i am actually looking at those plastic oil dampers as a potential upgrade. For £23 they are not a bad deal i suppose.
I would like grooved tires so I can get some extra traction on dusty surfaces. They also look cooler and it would be nice to have a spare set of wheels and tires
I have spent some time making a shopping list and I came up with the following:

54025 Tamiya TT-01E Ball Bearing Set
54059 Tamiya TT-01E Carbon Damper Stay (Front)
54060 Tamiya TT-01E Carbon Damper Stay (Rear)
54026 Tamiya TT-01E Aluminium Propeller Shaft and Joint
54058 Tamiya TT-01E Aluminium Steering Set
50686 Tamiya M-Chassis 60D Inner Sponge x4
53662 Tamiya TT-01 Turnbuckle Tie Rod Set
53569 Tamiya Clamp Type Aluminium Wheel Hub - 6mm
53663 Tamiya TT-01 Ball Diff Set (front and rear)
53673 Tamiya TT-01 Toe-In Rear Upright
211000045 Ansmann Racing 6 Spoke Wheel & Tyre Set Black
53619 Tamiya CVA Mini Shock Unit Cylinder x4

So the Alu propeller shaft and ball bearings are the first thing everyone upgrades
To be honest I don't know if the Alu Wheel Hubs will do anything and for £20 they are a bit too much for not obvious advantage to them.

The other thing I am debating is the double Ball Diff. Do I need front and rear or just rear? I find that most people only install Ball Diff in the rear. There is also that funny one-way front diff but all it does is make the car brake with the rear tires only. Not really what I want and at £50 it is way too much.

The rest are upgrades to allow toe in adjustment in front and rear and stiffen up the steering a little bit. I also need the tire inserts because none came in the box.

For now I am planning to keep the factory motor. I don't know if a motor upgrade will require an ESC upgrade too. I am using the stock parts and I got no idea what the amp ratings are.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hi, thanks for the reply.
The car came with plastic friction dampers and i am actually looking at those plastic oil dampers as a potential upgrade. For £23 they are not a bad deal i suppose.
I would like grooved tires so I can get some extra traction on dusty surfaces. They also look cooler and it would be nice to have a spare set of wheels and tires
I have spent some time making a shopping list and I came up with the following:

54025 Tamiya TT-01E Ball Bearing Set
54059 Tamiya TT-01E Carbon Damper Stay (Front)
54060 Tamiya TT-01E Carbon Damper Stay (Rear)
54026 Tamiya TT-01E Aluminium Propeller Shaft and Joint
54058 Tamiya TT-01E Aluminium Steering Set
50686 Tamiya M-Chassis 60D Inner Sponge x4
53662 Tamiya TT-01 Turnbuckle Tie Rod Set
53569 Tamiya Clamp Type Aluminium Wheel Hub - 6mm
53663 Tamiya TT-01 Ball Diff Set (front and rear)
53673 Tamiya TT-01 Toe-In Rear Upright
211000045 Ansmann Racing 6 Spoke Wheel & Tyre Set Black
53619 Tamiya CVA Mini Shock Unit Cylinder x4

So the Alu propeller shaft and ball bearings are the first thing everyone upgrades
To be honest I don't know if the Alu Wheel Hubs will do anything and for £20 they are a bit too much for not obvious advantage to them.

The other thing I am debating is the double Ball Diff. Do I need front and rear or just rear? I find that most people only install Ball Diff in the rear. There is also that funny one-way front diff but all it does is make the car brake with the rear tires only. Not really what I want and at £50 it is way too much.

The rest are upgrades to allow toe in adjustment in front and rear and stiffen up the steering a little bit. I also need the tire inserts because none came in the box.

For now I am planning to keep the factory motor. I don't know if a motor upgrade will require an ESC upgrade too. I am using the stock parts and I got no idea what the amp ratings are.
The oil dampers might be the third part you want to get then, as they are a significant upgrade over the friction tubes.

If you are using the stock tamiya esc it should handle the Sport Tuned, maybe nothing more than that to be safe.

From the list I would exclude the front/rear damper stay, 50686 is for mini sized wheels so they wont fit the larger touring car wheels. If you need them you want something like 53582 (24mm).

Aluminum clamps mainly provide more precision for the wheel and prevents over tightening from the nut, they also prevent the hubs from coming off with the wheel/falling out and loosing the cross pin when you remove your tires. Worth the upgrade but not necessary if you be careful.

If you see yourself staying in this hobby for quite a while then I would invest the least in this car and save for a future upgrade like a TA05 or TB03.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Tech Adept

Cool advice.
The carbon damper stay for front and rear is recommended in this guide
http://www.adamsracing.co.uk/files/a...RRCMAY09_0.pdf

I think i got a pretty good idea with what i need for the car now but I am very confused over certain parts. Namely parts that are for TT-01, will they also fit on my TT-01E?
Case in question:
http://www.fusionhobbies.com/PhotoGa...e=GPM%5FTT054D

this seems to have a camber adjustment screw which is awesome.
there is also this one:
http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Product...057D&CartID=13
again the same.

I am also looking at the equivalent lower arms so I can replace all the arms in my car with those and then use some stabilisers. It seems my factory arms don't have mounts for stabilisers.

May sound kinda odd to you but I would like to apply all the possible upgrades to this car before I move on to a nitro car. That way I can learn more on the workings of suspension geometry and also make it look better
That being said, I won't be wasting cash on upgrades that do nothing.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Cool advice.
The carbon damper stay for front and rear is recommended in this guide
http://www.adamsracing.co.uk/files/a...RRCMAY09_0.pdf

I think i got a pretty good idea with what i need for the car now but I am very confused over certain parts. Namely parts that are for TT-01, will they also fit on my TT-01E?
Case in question:
http://www.fusionhobbies.com/PhotoGa...e=GPM%5FTT054D

this seems to have a camber adjustment screw which is awesome.
there is also this one:
http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Product...057D&CartID=13
again the same.

I am also looking at the equivalent lower arms so I can replace all the arms in my car with those and then use some stabilisers. It seems my factory arms don't have mounts for stabilisers.

May sound kinda odd to you but I would like to apply all the possible upgrades to this car before I move on to a nitro car. That way I can learn more on the workings of suspension geometry and also make it look better
That being said, I won't be wasting cash on upgrades that do nothing.
I reckon most of the parts should be the same, good way of finding out is comparing part numbers from between both manuals from the tamiya site.

As for the arms, haven't had much luck with GPM parts fitment/quality in the past, most others might agree. Maybe they have improved? Not sure

I think youll get more advice if you post questions in the TT01 thread.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:30 AM
Tech Adept

thanks, i will do that
Old 01-29-2011, 05:12 AM
Tech Adept

I don't know what possessed me but I just ordered one of these

http://www.fusion-rc.com/?ItemId=M-F...0,c:60,c:60-34

Will the chassis hold or am i going to see the whole thing bend and twist under the torque?

I also thought I should improve the steering a bit so I got one of these

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=35545