Wiki Posts
Search

New guy here!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New guy here!!

Hi all!

Yup, I'm the newbie!! My hobbies for the last umpteen years has been cars. Mainly Mopar cars (50's to be exact, but more on that later...). I use to fly a small Cox Trainer Cessna years ago (cheap RTF kit my parent bought for me as a x-mas gift almost 20 years ago), but never really got the hang of it. So I tried R/C cars, but jsut licked going fast, and did have a place to really run em at, nor other people to run with. Next my real cars came. Even before I could drive I had one to tinker on. Current stable consists of a 57 DeSoto, a 58 Plymouth (yeah, the Christine car) and the LAST 61 DeSoto ever assembled (you can see em at http://www.mofins.com). Years went by, and work and kids became the focus of my time. But I always found time for my cars. Then on Christmas Eve, 1999, my life changed. We were heading to my folks house to celebrate the holiday event, when we were rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight. No one was seriously injured, other than me. My back went nuts. Fast forward to Feb. of this year, and I was having a lumbar fusion performed. Since heavy lifting is out of the question, my resto days for my cars are on hold, so I figured now was a good time to finally re-visit the R/C hobby.

So now to my first NEWBIE question!!

I found this little gem not to long ago. I know it's a 69 Dodge Charger Daytona (sans rear wing) but I was curious if anyone knew who actually made it, or is the whole thing scratch built? The chassis definitly look homemade, but very well done. I bought this at an estate sale years ago, and finally dug it out. I was thinking about selling it to help fund my R/C hobby, but want some more info on it before I do. I may just wind up keeping it and using it as a base to start from.

Pepsi can is for size reference.

to see larger versions of these pictures, go to http://www.mocarz.com/daytona/daytona1.jpg and http://www.mocarz.com/daytona/daytona2.jpg

HELP!!

Thanks!
~MyDeSoto~
Old 08-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Nobody? Not even a hello?

~MyDeSoto~
Old 08-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Hello.

Now put that thing back where it came from and get something a bit more newer. Perhaps something from this century.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Tech Master

Heres an example of the car I run

What you have is very old (like, early 80's) The cars we run are actually pretty advanced. All-Wheel drive...shaft or belt which drives differentials on each side of the vehicle. Exoitc materials such as carbon fiber and titanium are used

Look to see if theres a local track around....Bashing by yourself with a touring car can get boring after a while but racing with them can get fun real quick. If you want to play by your self get a good buggy or truck and find some good terrain to tear up
Old 08-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the responses!

I know it's old, I was just curious if anyone here might have know who made it? And, if there was any value to it at all?

Thanks again,
~MyDeSoto~
Old 08-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Actually that chassis more than likely dates back to the 70's, back then most of the chassis' that where raced where either scratch built or production that actually looked scratch built....

More later....LOL
Old 08-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Neil Rabara
Hello.

Now put that thing back where it came from and get something a bit more newer. Perhaps something from this century.
Servos used to be the size of pepsi cans. ]

Not sure on the value. IMO, I wouldn't even try to get that car going even if it was given to me.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The value should be right around the same as the refundable deposit on the pepsi can .....sorry I couldn't resist.....if your interested in 1/10 scale onroad touring cars, you can pick up something pretty competetive right off the bat, like a new or even a used, ready to run tc3 kit.......this kit is something you can use for fun around your house while you get farmilar with the car, and the hobby, as well as possibly making the transition to club racing if you have a track around...........Joe
Old 08-07-2004, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Geezs you guys are harsh!

MyDeSoto, the car was definitely scratch built, I see a little of Bolink in there but not enough to say Bolink created the car. Without the rear drive train is would be impossible to tell.

Now, in my opinion, I would turn it into a Nitro Dragster project....lose the front wheels for some narrower ones and design a drivetrain to fit a .21 size engine. I'd lighten the chassis by putting some holes down the center, without compromising the strengh of the chassis. It would be proper for a Dodge Charger body to spend its last few years as........
Old 08-07-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Originally posted by Neil Rabara
Hello.

What you have is very old (like, early 80's) The cars we run are actually pretty advanced. All-Wheel drive...shaft or belt which drives differentials on each side of the vehicle. Exoitc materials such as carbon fiber and titanium are used
Hi black kat good to see your kit is exactly looks the same as what I have.. I only use the blue anodized battery holder and a blue colored bumper. I also use a front and rear anit-roll bar/sway bars.. stock tub chassis.. did you have any modifications done on your stock tub chassis?..
Old 08-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Again,

Thank you all for the replys. Being in the feild of work I do (contract graphic designer) you have to get use to people saying things like, "that stinks", "you stink", "all this including you stinks". With that said, I have been able to give myself a pretty thick coat of skin. Personally I am thankful for the honest and un-biazed opinions. Help me to make a better decision on which route to take.

While I like the idea of a REAL Chrysler (not Chrysler-BENZ ) inspired drag car, I think I would be better off selling the whole thing and start over. May keep the body for a neat peice of wall art. the chassis has enough aluminum in it it should be worth a little something.

Anyway, thanks again for all the comments and ideas! I really do appreciate it.

Take care all,
~MyDeSoto~