Wiki Posts
Search

Team Corally RDX Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Castor blocks

Can someone tell me the difference between the 4 degree and the 6 degree castor blocks? Thanks
Old 08-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayhuang
wow-thats the rudest comeback for someone giving nice sound advice Ive ever read!!
I believe it is more a cultural difference as opposed to rudeness. My job has me communicating with co-workers in India quite a bit...
Old 08-25-2006, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by or8ital
Ha ha. I love when people criticize spelling and then don't spell something correctly!
Me too! Or is it to, two, tu, etc?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Me too! Or is it to, two, tu, etc?
In our area, "Tu" is the most popular

ie: "Tu! Muchacho blanco!"

Old 08-26-2006, 06:53 AM
Tez
Tech Initiate

hi, ive just got an RDX and am having trouble setting it up, can anyone recomend somewhere to get some set-up sheets to give me a good starting point. will be runing on carpet and asphalt. Cheers
Old 08-26-2006, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tez
hi, ive just got an RDX and am having trouble setting it up, can anyone recomend somewhere to get some set-up sheets to give me a good starting point. will be runing on carpet and asphalt. Cheers
Try this:

http://www.corallyusa.com/2005/setup.htm
Old 08-26-2006, 08:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It seems like there's a lot of new RDX owners coming to this thread.

For some of you, a lot of the questions you're asking have been answered many times in this thread, so people aren't as quick to answer them again. Also, people are busy getting ready for Vegas and stuff, so they're not being as talkative as usual. Don't get discouraged, the answers you seek are out there.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:44 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by kobiwan
Can someone tell me the difference between the 4 degree and the 6 degree castor blocks? Thanks
Simply, one gives you more caster than the other. It affects the handling characteristics of your car. Here's a good explanation of it:

Caster -- Almost every car has some caster built-in. Caster is the angle that the car's front wheels pivot on when turning. Most on-road Touring Car type kits use between 5 and 10 degrees of caster. Off-road kits like buggies and trucks have about 25 to 30 degrees of 'kick-up' on the front axles. More caster generally gives more steering going into a turn, but less coming out. The opposite is also true: less caster give less steering going into a turn (initial steering), but more steering as you exit. Caster also gives more stability on straightaways, but this effect is more pronounced in 2WD vehicles.

Source: http://www.hpiracing.com/glossary.htm
Old 08-26-2006, 08:50 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by rccars4scott
Hey guys, I just bought a carpet spec here on the forums and have a few questions. I ran a T2 last year in the stock class with rubber tires on carpet, the T2 came with a fairly thin chassis and with the multi-flex worked pretty well. Would it be advisable to get a thinner chassis for the RDX given that I will be running rubber tires (cs 27's) on carpet? if so, i would be in the market for a new chassis that is thinner than the one that came with the carpet spec if you know anyone that has one.

Also, has anyone raced both the T2 and the rdx? if so, what are your thoughts comparing the two? Thanks for your help guys.
Rubber tire setups are a little more unique to the driver and harder to come by than foam tire setups. Seems like the stock 2.9 chassis is a nice compromise, especially for club racing. It seems like some guys will put the thin topdeck on to give it a little more flex when needed.

The T2 and RDX are both extremely capable cars in the right hands. A lot of people feel like the RDX is superior on carpet, especially with foam tires. A lot of other people feel the same way about the T2. I can't help but think the multi-flex thing has hurt the T2 on the carpet, but that's just my opinion based on observation and not personal experience.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
Thanks guys! Its as clear as mud! LOL When i saw the car i was so excited that all 4 corners where the same.... LOL but i can stop progress.
One of the disadvantages to not releasing a new kit, and instead releasing a ton of updated parts is that things tend to get a bit convoluted when it comes to parts. The new arms are great, but so far, there's not a lot of incentive to use them unless you're breaking old arms a lot. If you use the SRC Ultimate Bumper and wheels that don't allow the axle screws to stick out too far, arm breakage is reduced quite a bit.

The new arms will allow for some additional tuning options with new shock holes in the front and rear, an new rear hubs that can apparently make the wheel-base longer. They will also allow for some new system of mounting sway bars that's supposed to be awesome.

That said, all the accolades the RDX has received up to this point have come with the old parts. If having four identical corners is important to you, and you're not breaking arms, maybe you don't need to upgrade. I don't believe the new arms are seen as a replacement, but rather, a tuning option.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by slow
I have an RDX already set up for foam racing but I'm worried about showing up to race and there not being a foam class. What would be the changes I would need to make to my foam setup to make it rubber worthy? I would also have to make these changes at the track 10 minutes before racing starts because I was just told there is no foam class.

Parts:
One way
Shocks - I have an extra set of Tamiya shocks I can dedicate to rubber
Tires - of course
Anything else??

Setup:
What changes from my foam setup??

Or should I just buy a whole new car? $$$$$
The setups between foam and rubber are pretty significantly different. I can't really think of one that will let you switch back and forth easily without seriously compromising performance of one or the other. Everybody I've ever seen that races both classes has two cars, and then sometimes a third one if they race asphalt too.

You can get a used RDX for cheap if you look around. I've seen them go for under $250 with a good collection of parts. It works out well for having spares on hand, and can give you a second car for another class.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Tech Champion

Excellent posts SyndrOme.

A credit to the community kiddo.

Bill
Old 08-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

yeah true!! syndrome i dont really know you!! but you seema great guy and yuou helping a lot of people on the forum!! really like you take the time to explan things! and we can understand pretty easily!!

Your The Man!!

Later

syndrome is my hero hehe!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well said syndr0me! Too bad most manufacturers haven't realized this yet. Corally is about the ONLY one that sells carpet and ashpalt specific versions of the RDX. Xray tried, with their 'multiflex' chassis, but it seems like most serious carpet racers go out and buy the BMI chassis set anyway.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
Well said syndr0me! Too bad most manufacturers haven't realized this yet. Corally is about the ONLY one that sells carpet and ashpalt specific versions of the RDX. Xray tried, with their 'multiflex' chassis, but it seems like most serious carpet racers go out and buy the BMI chassis set anyway.
I'm still not convinced XRay didn't make a mistake by not expanding upon and further developing their FK04 chassis.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad to be able to help. I'm not the most talented or experienced racer by any means, but I've been reading this thread since the beginning and can usually recite the cumulative knowledge it provides. That seems a whole lot easier than asking new people to go back and read 8000 posts, though I still think it would be a good idea for anybody that's truly interested in this car and its history. I think it's beneficial to know why we're at this point with new parts and such.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.