R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Associated TC6 vs Xray T3 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/458604-associated-tc6-vs-xray-t3.html)

Mike Blackstock 12-05-2010 06:49 AM

I will say TC6 but then again i am biased about my decision. :sneaky:

But from what i have heard from people the price factor along with the availability of parts is huge for them,

Mike

Wolf 12-05-2010 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by jackdani (Post 8299620)
sorry, i forget to specify, u are right they switch from xray t3 2010

anyway the tc6 here in italy is available since no more than 3 weeks,
but, as i told you, owners are allready very happy!

btw thare are even a consistant number of t3 2011, they are good as well but owners allready owned a t3 before...so not big change for theme!:spidey:

Thanks. Glad hear that TC6 is a good car too, more (good) choice is always nice. :lol:

s.l.c. 12-05-2010 10:29 AM

NeeBee to the TC' world and was trying to also decide what to buy.

Parts- for the TC6 they will be available at all five of my LHS, T3 2011 only one carries them in stock and that store is 45mins away from where I live.

Price- the TC6 can be picked up for the highes price of $370 verses the T3 2011 for $480, with the extra cash from not buyin the T3 2011 ican added to a good esc and motor.

Performance-For me, the T3 2011 problebly has the TC6 covered on that but for a newbee like me all am gonna be doing is asphalt racing when my LHS puts fun runs together, so not taking it to serious right now.

So for me the TC6 fits the bill

Bubblehead 12-05-2010 11:00 AM

I would read the TC6 Thread, it seems that the kits are missing parts or something else is wrong. If you don't need a car right now I would wait before buying a TC6.

thercman 12-05-2010 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by s.l.c. (Post 8300364)
Price- the TC6 can be picked up for the highes price of $370 verses the T3 2011 for $480, with the extra cash from not buyin the T3 2011 ican added to a good esc and motor.

That is a large price difference for cars that are practically identical in terms of materials. Of course Associated been around longer which gives them an edge in marketing etc. Anyway if both purchase had the same electronics that extra $100 could be used for extra tires, a-arms etc. So yes, I will probably stay an Associated guy. :-)

trerc 12-05-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by thercman (Post 8300580)
That is a large price difference for cars that are practically identical in terms of materials. Of course Associated been around longer which gives them an edge in marketing etc. Anyway if both purchase had the same electronics that extra $100 could be used for extra tires, a-arms etc. So yes, I will probably stay an Associated guy. :-)

Definitely NOTHING alike as far as materials go. Xray's fit and finish is gorgeous and their parts reek quality, you pay for what you get but you have to own both kits to know what I mean. I too was a long time Associated guy and have owned many of their kits over the years, I run Xray now and will pay the extra cash for their quality.

Buckaroo 12-05-2010 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by trerc (Post 8300650)
Definitely NOTHING alike as far as materials go. Xray's fit and finish is gorgeous and their parts reek quality, you pay for what you get but you have to own both kits to know what I mean. I too was a long time Associated guy and have owned many of their kits over the years, I run Xray now and will pay the extra cash for their quality.

Agreed, to a point. Sometimes what you get isn't worth what you pay for it. I'm willing to bet that you're not breaking parts like you used to, more because of proficiency than quality of any given maker of parts.

For ANY newbie, parts availability and cost will always be of major concern. SOME of the new TC6 kits have a few parts packing issues here and there, mostly with hardware. By no means has everyone that's purchased one been forced to suffer through an incomplete assembly. What kit doesn't have issues with parts packing or quality control from time to time? Not to mention everyone has had assembly manuals that have been AFU plenty of times. Practically everyone has had something go wrong with the first run of a new kit, too.

Associated has always sent me anything I've needed if it was missing from a kit going back to the gold pan dirt cars, just because I've called them or sent a polite email ASKING for the missing parts(remember that lost art of respectful communication?). Shouldn't have to, I agree, but we're all human, and it happens.

In any case, there's so much parts useage cross over with the TC5 that there are always options. Some kits change year to year and there isn't much cross over in parts useage, so that's a legitimate concern.

Either way, if one car were appreciably better than any other, ALL of the pros would be rolling one.

I say get whichever car YOU want that fits YOUR needs. Can't really go wrong with either one. The first car will tell you everything you'll want/need in your second one. The proficiency that you gain in the first season will render most of the parts availability issues a moot point. Until then, pick one, go fast, if something gets in your way, turn, and stock up on spares.

wtcc 12-05-2010 02:29 PM

Both cars are really fast. Maybe the X-Ray is stronger in event of crash or hitting the wall. But therefore the Asso is now so easy to drive and predictable, I didn't touch the wall since 500 laps, and that's no joke (with the TC5 I hit the wall every three laps). That saves spareparts as well! In Germany the TC6 is about 60€ cheaper than the T3'2011. Thats enough spare parts for one year...

Bubblehead 12-05-2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by thercman (Post 8300580)

Will you be the only TC6 at your track?

thercman 12-05-2010 07:19 PM

I am not sure.... I believe a couple sponsored guys are running them. Haven't been out to any races at this track yet but I am going to scope out the competition this coming Saturday. :D

Sidel 12-06-2010 02:20 AM

X Ray and Associated are both good cars:
I prefer Associated because it has a lower price and it's easier to drive;)

Chris Furman 12-07-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bubblehead (Post 8300465)
I would read the TC6 Thread, it seems that the kits are missing parts or something else is wrong. If you don't need a car right now I would wait before buying a TC6.

Thats funny, because I purchased a T3 2011 and a TC6... the Xray T3 kit had 3 burred screws.. my TC6 had no issues at all.

The TC6 also included enough parts to build a Spool or a Ball Diff.

RCknight 12-08-2010 12:37 AM

Well, I was a AE customer for a long time, but Xray quality and continued improvements on each design feature won me over. Both have their pros and cons, but I think the T3'11 is a work of art. I like many of the design features. I think it's less prone to tweak because the hinge pins are not on the bulk heads. In my opinion Xray's R&D are worth the price. I'm an average driver and I've never broke anything. Its a very durable car. These days the nice thing is you can update the T3 series every year with just a few parts. Next year I don't see much for changes, but perhaps, upper deck, vertical camber link mounts, and may be shocks or toe blocks. I like the fact they try to improve the car. In my eyes, AE's not a serious R&D company anymore. I will agree they have some value in their kits. If you have the money you won't regret an Xray. :nod: Trust me, I'm not loyal to any brand name, just a great product, anyone can tell you how picky I am, lol, and I feel good I got one.

jackdani 12-08-2010 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by RCknight (Post 8313479)
Well, I was a AE customer for a long time, but Xray quality and continued improvements on each design feature won me over. Both have their pros and cons, but I think the T3'11 is a work of art. I like many of the design features. I think it's less prone to tweak because the hinge pins are not on the bulk heads. In my opinion Xray's R&D are worth the price. I'm an average driver and I've never broke anything. Its a very durable car. These days the nice thing is you can update the T3 series every year with just a few parts. Next year I don't see much for changes, but perhaps, upper deck, vertical camber link mounts, and may be shocks or toe blocks. I like the fact they try to improve the car. In my eyes, AE's not a serious R&D company anymore. I will agree they have some value in their kits. If you have the money you won't regret an Xray. :nod: Trust me, I'm not loyal to any brand name, just a great product, anyone can tell you how picky I am, lol, and I feel good I got one.

what about if you had bought the trf 417...think that is the state of art tight now..

it is true that xray have great quality, but to me it looks like they want you to pay too much for that...consider for example that a 450 euro car (t3 '11) come with plastic shoks body!!

isn't it ridiculous..

Nilks 12-08-2010 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by jackdani (Post 8313700)
what about if you had bought the trf 417...think that is the state of art tight now..

it is true that xray have great quality, but to me it looks like they want you to pay too much for that...consider for example that a 450 euro car (t3 '11) come with plastic shoks body!!

isn't it ridiculous..

If it didn't work - yes, it would be ridiculous. But they do work, and I have spent very little money on broken parts on my car. Xray isn't cheap, but you almost never break anything.

I would rather spent money right now, and have a car that doesn't break in races, than having a cheap cars, that breaks every time it touches the track. (Not saying the Asso is just that, as I don't know)