Wiki Posts
Search

WHY the TC3???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 06:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Smalls
LOL

You must be one of those guys that never hits anything.

I think its a great car, but I think its prone to easy breakage under deacceleration trauma.
I was about to say the same thing.

I have seen the Xray hit the pipes hard and keep going. Any other car would have broke. Except a Tamiya Mini...
Old 07-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by TL_XXX-S_racer
my bro has a TC3 he thinks it breaks to much too. He either stripps a front gear, breaks an a-arm, breaks a hub, or something else. I have a XXX-S and it hardly breaks at all. Its so durable. He's wants a XXX-s now since he might not have to work on it as much and i think that the xxx-s is faster and consistant than the tc3.
Totally wrong any car can be fast and consistent it is the driver a tc3,xxx or whatever can be broken and a handful with lack of setup experience get a car you are comfortable with and go with it
Old 07-22-2004, 07:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I run Losi castor blocks and front and rear hubs on my TC3, for adjustability and durability, although the newest style arms dont break that much, and if you did hit something that broke something you probably deserved to break it, lol.

If you are stripping gears that arent the updated white gears with a tc3 you are doing something wrong, even in mod with a one way or spool. Although I did hear some of the team guys going back to 48 pitch gears for mod at the paved nats last week, although thats not really a fault of the TC3...

You can pretty much get any car to work out of most of today's cars, and I think the mod sedan A main was a great example, there were a few AE, two losi's, an Xray, two Schui's, an HPI and i am trying to think of the other cars, but no one car had the advantage, and if anything it seemed like Xray had some work to do compared to the other cars out there, and Hara winning was pretty much Hara, not the Pro 4, IMO at least, although the pro 4 is really just a more adjustable purple TC3, I think I actually heard that he was running half of kyle skidmore's set up on his car, or on the front end of his car or something, lol.

The one deal with xray is, is that the car changes every year and its minor changes, but it requires a bunch of pieces, like the new bulkheads, or the short arms, or the thick chassis, etc....

After all of that rambling, i would just go with what you know you can get parts for, since breakage can be alot down to the driver; and what you know you can get set up properly, ie, what the fast guys at your track run. Since getting your car dialed makes a HUGE difference and while alot of people would like to think they know how to, it can be hard, and normally when they say the car handles bad, its because their specific car is not properly worked on or tuned.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

very true eg my tc3 can win one day and be off the pace a few meets latter. Its the owner not the car that makes the difference
Old 07-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

I remember a guy that wrote to R/C Car Action for a few years ago, and was quite angry. He had sent a letter to Associated, writing how shitty the TC3 was, and that it couldn't handle the smallest crash. He was also not happy about the graphite arms, 'cause they broke just as easily.

Associated's answer is the most brilliant I have ever read.

"If you hit anything with enough force, it will break. Period."
Old 07-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

stay with the xray. I drove tc3 's for two years ( been racing 15 ) when i decided to get my fk kit I was impressed on the quality of it . and it handled so good out of the box . I have two xrays now and the tc3 just sit on the shelf seems like thats the way they dont break
Old 07-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

My tc3 took some hard hits, xxx-s youve seen that too, but it depends on many variables of the hits. Like the angle, if you hit it with the whole side, its less likely to break, but if you hit it with a corner, there is more of a chance it will break. With my tc3, yes it has broken the last 2 race days, with the same part (right front a arm), but it races great, even on 3 wheels.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

I've had both the TC3 and the Xray and I can bust up a car like nobodies business I found them to be pretty equal in terms of breakage. The arms are the weak point on the TC3, the hubs and shocks on the Xray. Overall, I found the TC3 easier to work on and less expensive to repair and since I installed the RPM bumper and Buds wings and rear bumper, I haven't busted anything on it.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Tech Master

I can count the parts I've broken/bent on one hand in the 9 months I've had the car

1. Front Arm
2. Rear Arm
3. CVD Dogbone
4. Main Driveshaft
5. Rear Hinge-pin Front Brace (in a crash that can only happen at Hobbyworld Gilroy....)

The RPM front bumper and the BRP rear bumber will prevent from ANY arm breakage....seriously. Those are the 2 must haves for the TC3....
Old 07-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So you have six fingers ?
Old 07-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

STORMPERSON. I couldn't have put it better myself.

But for all you Americans may I suggest you flick over to the first heading in the electric section - last week's ROAR Nats - and just see what one of the organisers had to say about the help they just got from Team Associated.

Makes you proud to be American, doesn't it. Now can you still keep bitching because you broke a wishbone or a hub on your TC3 simply because you can't keep off the boards.

Oh by the way, I'm not American myself but I thought you were a very Nationalistic race.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:04 AM
Tech Regular

I've had 7, Seven(!), TC3's, and I think I can count 8-9 broken parts in total....

3 arms, 2 hubs, 1 1st gen oneway, 1 drive shaft and 1 diff hub... Or something like that
Old 07-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

The part is called the "Rear Hingepin-Front Brace"

Its the block that holds the rear hingepins from the front
Old 07-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Ohh sorry for my ignorance.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Don't worry, Its a Schumacher thing.....j/k

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.